So here i am hosting a server and find a guy with a mining helmet on the starter island. Server is still fresh only like 2 or so hours in. No sulfur on the island to make an energy bench. 

my team mate and I double team him with cross bows and both end up loosing. so I shut down server and put a pass on it to see whats going on.

Find out we cant kill him. there is no protective barrier around or even close by, but yet i cant dmg this player ( GaZiG )

when the battle was going on, we both hit him  with iron cross bows atleast 20 times, and we still both lost. 

What is this maddness!!!!!

so trying things out if he can be hurt, he wont drown, doesnt starve. theres no protective barrier close by. 

Edited by 6Cowa6Bunga6

Yes, cheaters. Cheaters able to open containers through walls too, or they are removing the walls (stone panels) and then replacing them. Someone hit my base in the water, used dirt to make a lift to reach it, and then emptied out my container that was inside a stone building, with no doors and no openings, took all my clay and my cotton of which there does not seem to be any left on the starter island, all of this was within my activated PB. I've gone through the trouble of stealing my stuff back in the past but when people are going to use cheats, I see no point in playing anymore. In at least one case I found a dedicated server in which the server owner was trolling everyone in a similar fashion. Can't say he was cheating though. But it's a sad state when someone creates a dedicated server for the purpose of trolling.

In another case I saw someone completely burying someones base in dirt. There are people that have no interest in the game and just want to grief others and in the current state, it's easy to do that.

After playing Public MP servers off and on for a week now, I'm convinced that it's not worth it. The MP aspect is like a very early Alpha version of the game with so much broken and so much to exploit that it's not worth playing with any real goal of achieving anything. It's kind of sad that people are willing to exploit a game. Part of the fun of a game is over coming the challenge, some people can't handle any challenge at all, those people cheat.

Edit: I went back to the last server I experienced this on to look around. The guy had grown a large tree on my platform for some reason, when I chopped it down, I was then able to see someone sitting down next to it. He was not in the tree though, just next to it. Maybe he sat on the seed? Anyway, his name was "Shows" which I'm sure he just changes for every server he jumps on.

This is why I say that a PB is just a bright beacon that says "come grief this". In MP, you are better off in a hole in the ground with no PB to advertise.

Edited by Whane The Whip

hello

I am gazig been gaming since 1991 I've never cheated in a game.

You didn't hit me 20 times one of you had a wooden crossbow.

Yeah I never got hurt I am not cheating have no idea why .

You call me a cheater on fourms when your the griefers with own server to Basicly cheat others. Lose and shut down server and password it ?

Wasted all my time could of just talked to me to see what was going on.

Again I wasnt cheating never have and I've never grieved anyone sooo

5 hours ago, gazig1 said:

Btw just copper for energy bench

Man came to face his accusers, not to say that means hes truthful, but I for one appreciate this kind of behavior.  Like he has stated, maybe just a quick chat before jumping to conclusions would and should be first course of action.

My only  comment will be  that  public accessible MP games will become a wasteland due to  new players  giving up because of incidents like  these.    Unfortunately  new players  get  eliminated   before they get a chance to chat by  some whose sole enjoyment is  eliminating others..  What is  happening   is that  players are noting names for future games  when they appear on dedicated servers...   and a list will circulate as who NOT to invite to participate. Also   players will know  which  server based games to avoid due to poor  moderation and trolls etc

Also there's  two sides to a coin.  Reminds me of the story about a man  accusing another of  punching him in the face. The other man complained  how his  fist was hurt by the  first man hitting it  with his face...:P

I don't  know  about   others,  but i am compiling a private list of  who i would   and who i would  NOT  invite to visit  my  Yland... should that option  become  available ..  ( Ales  has indicated its  been discussed...)

Hello

I was walking back to my base minding my own business was attacked by cowa killed him then his friend came same.

Then they shut down server and put password on.

Soo I wasn't cheating or trying to kill anyone and I am being truthful.

• Upvote 1

@gazig1   ..I am not accusing anyone,  especially  as there are always  two sides to  any story.  My point is that players will note the different  servers and players   where  griefing flourishes and will avoid them.   Like  i am sure now there's one  MP server  you are less inclined  to  visit anymore.

Adopt the following  principle ....   " People make me  happy,  ..some as they approach me,   - others as they leave...."¬¬

2 hours ago, kimbuck said:

What is  happening   is that  players are noting names for future games  when they appear on dedicated servers...   and a list will circulate as who NOT to invite to participate. Also   players will know  which  server based games to avoid due to poor  moderation and trolls etc

A Farley file is fine but in this case, there is the option to use any name you wish when joining a new server so I suspect that trolls will mask their public community name with an alt name when joining a new server. For example I doubt that "Shows", the guy that griefed my PB base will be a name seen often.

As for moderation, it's very difficult in the current state of the MP game. Owners have very few tools, they can basically kick and ban. I don't even know if there is a warp ability but if the default survival map is the only option for MP with ... 16 islands? Then without warp that's a lot of places for players to hide after griefing. There's also no server forum here for people to discuss the servers.

I hate to admit this but no matter how many of us just want to build and create there will always be those that simply want to destroy for the purpose of causing grief. Some games attract grief and let's face facts here, Ylands MP is currently a full loot PvP game.

Hopefully there will be some fixes to MP and adding the BP to the editor will allow for server owners to generate their own server maps and with this there is the ability to assign death penalties (using the Roles function). For example you can set to allow a respawn with all items in inventory and equipped. But if the PB is never added to the editor and the game is forever locked into default survivor for MP then I don't think MP will ever be anything more than a few friends cooperating.

It's the exploits that will ruin MP long before the cheaters though. Currently, no ship is safe, any ship, under any circumstances (except for flipped), can be stolen, in less than 60 seconds. In the same amount of time, a ship can be rendered useless, just dump a bunch of dirt under it. It takes just a few hits with a stone hammer to destroy a locked helm and then replace it with a helm of your own. Dirt can be used to move a person from the safety of their PB, so that they can be killed to take all of their stuff. An entire base can be ruined with a spade, or a shovel with very little time or effort. What took days to build can be ruined in minutes. Players can logout within your PB thus blocking you from building and if you kill them, then you get to stare at a dead body on your door step for apparently forever (do the bodies ever despawn?). Or someone could create a character with a rude name, run to your base, and die on your doorstep intentionally, never intending to play, but just wanting to grief your base with his dead body... the guy I killed that griefed my base, he is still there, his dead body still trolling me and since you only get one PB, I cant just start over, I'm stuck. And as admitted by CowaBunga himself in a Steam thread about spawn killing, it's faster to kill other players and take their stuff than to collect what you need.

What is more important that dealing with cheaters though (imo) is to fix the PB so that it does not allow editing the terrain, and place the PB as an item in the editor so that server owners can generate a server map to include a broken (or fixed) PB when they spawn into the world and make locked ship helms useful. These few things would give so much more control to server owners and players and help against griefing.

@gazig1 I could be wrong but I don't see anyone else accusing you other than Cowa. Cowa has prompted the discussion and followups here to cheating as a topic are not necessarily a followup or an agreement to the accusation made against you.

Edited by Whane The Whip
  • Upvote 1

Hello

I play to be attacked I never attack first. I like to help and stop griefers if can its fun to me pve too easy.

Have fun

Hello 

I am just trying to be clear what happend.

Just now my base got dirted. I don't mind I like trying to make grief free base.

Nice post on mp probs

Don't forget to double block things so peeps can't look thru in first person mode.

Have fun

Edited by gazig1

15 hours ago, gazig1 said:

Yeah I never got hurt

Even after I put the password on the server, you were not able to die. No starving, no drowing, no killing, so how am i not to think your cheating when you cant even be killed away and out of any protective barrier

YA i may be a bit of a greifer and troll others, but that doesnt mean they cant do it back. 

when i join other servers i play as a pvper not a pve-er so i tend to kill people when i get a chance as well as looking for fights.
after reaching end game in single player. why also do it on a MP server when you can do both 

So if you ever see me, prepare yourself for a fight. I may win or loose but its all fun n games

Cowa...whatever rocks your  boat, :D - but  do you think its  fairer if you restrict  your fighting  etc to those servers  where they expect it,  and not ones where players are content to explore and  create?

Perhaps you should indicate on the server that your game  is  PvP .. that way you will attract those who  are PvP orientated  and would want to fight and  who are similarly equipped. Then you will get an even  game   based on individuals skill.

Those who want to explore and be creative  can look for  similar  friendly places  and  leave  your  game  alone.

And  all will be  happy  in La La Land  with  unicorns  dancing hand in  hand  with  cute  bunnies   to the sound of  waterfalls   under  rainbows ......:x 

On 1/8/2018 at 1:09 PM, kimbuck said:

I don't  know  about   others,  but i am compiling a private list of  who i would   and who i would  NOT  invite to visit  my  Yland... should that option  become  available ..  ( Ales  has indicated its  been discussed...)

I replied to this comment once before. But 10 days later, my reply is different now. Because now we do in fact have the tools admins need to moderate users. It certainly helps to have a DS. So far with DS_0.63, I've been able to identify two abusive users (out of 15). In one case I plopped a black bear down in front of the user that promptly mauled him to death... a gentle reminder. My rules are fairly liberal. One thing that is common (and that I don't have a rule against) is OPC (offline player character) killing, though I do consider it low to kill other players when they are offline. But on my server there is no reward for doing so.

All these stories about killing, two on one shooting, slaying offline characters, are so close to school bullying, that it gives me the creeps. Creating and cooperating is so much more interresting, enriching, enlightening even. Shooting before talking sounds to me like a very bad way of doing things. It s brutal and primitive. A server should always precise if it is PVP so that there is no mistaking for players who just want to be nice to eachother, because nowadays, i think it is important to be brotherly more than anything. Isnt the world crazy enough that we need to reproduce it s madness when we play games to forget about it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8.1.2018 at 7:25 AM, Whane The Whip said:

After playing Public MP servers off and on for a week now, I'm convinced that it's not worth it. The MP aspect is like a very early Alpha version of the game with so much broken and so much to exploit that it's not worth playing with any real goal of achieving anything. It's kind of sad that people are willing to exploit a game. Part of the fun of a game is over coming the challenge, some people can't handle any challenge at all, those people cheat.

it has nothing to do with the genre, this will happen in all public games. in most games you have no "base" or "property" though, which makes building games the worst for public play. i'd suggest to only play on password protected servers with friends or a community that has rulesets and enforces them.

edit:

oops, just saw i necro'd this thread. sorry. :-)

Edited by spliff (DayZ)

12 hours ago, YadNiMonde said:

All these stories about killing, two on one shooting, slaying offline characters, are so close to school bullying, that it gives me the creeps. Creating and cooperating is so much more interresting, enriching, enlightening even. Shooting before talking sounds to me like a very bad way of doing things. It s brutal and primitive. A server should always precise if it is PVP so that there is no mistaking for players who just want to be nice to eachother, because nowadays, i think it is important to be brotherly more than anything. Isnt the world crazy enough that we need to reproduce it s madness when we play games to forget about it?

Yes, I miss the moment of cooperating in games. Oh dear, "Shooting before talking sounds to me like a very bad way of doing things". It's so frustrating when you try to be friendly but then someone without reason come up at you and pointing gun. And they will start shooting, if we comment about it, they will say "it's just a game.." ¬¬

See, today when i logged back in that MP game, i have had the dipleasing surprise to find myself slayed by "player" s Sword, i wont give names here, but i find that most disgraceful, that poor fellow even killed my horse, i could see his hide and meat close to me, i mean what is the fun in being so blatantly stupid? 

This was the same server where no cotton could be found on the starting island because the same guy had it all harvested and hidden in his personnal chests, as he confided to me, i was lucky enough to find ONE plant of cotton inside a tree after cutting it, i rerpoduced it for hours just to make sure the island would be full of it again, i spent a good amount of time making sure of it, planting over 200 cottons back on this barren place to give a chance to other newcomers to be able to leave this ugly place before to build my Total Survivor Boat and flee to the furthest island i could find, where i made myself a cosy cave, but forgot to place that orb thingie. Now i find myself killed by the same unpleasant character that hides all the cotton in his chests. 

Conclusion? Avoid MP !!! It s for griefers and bullies!

Edited by YadNiMonde

6 hours ago, spliff (DayZ) said:

in most games you have no "base" or "property" though, which makes building games the worst for public play. i'd suggest to only play on password protected servers with friends or a community that has rulesets and enforces them.

In survival games bases are very common, and sandbox survival games are the type I enjoy the most. Yes griefing is common, but to be fair, 0.63 DS has some nice tools to deal with griefers now. It's not 100% but it makes it possible to run a public DS. I think some people are waiting for 0.7 before launching. I did however grow tired of other issues from public servers, so I started my own DS. So far I've had no major issues, and I've only moderated once, the method I used was to spawn a bear on the offender. I'll avoid banning if I can, I consider it a last resort.

4 hours ago, YadNiMonde said:

See, today when i logged back in that MP game, i have had the dipleasing surprise to find myself slayed by "player" s Sword, i wont give names here, but i find that most disgraceful, that poor fellow even killed my horse.

This was the same server where no cotton could be found on the starting island because the same guy had it all harvested and hidden in his personnal chests.

Yup, OPC killing is very common. Most players do it to get your death drops. I solved this on my DS by setting it up so that players don't lose their inventory when killed. You can still be killed and I don't have a rule against, but at least you don't lose anything and as more people join, they will eventually be able to see that killing players or offline players wont bring you anything.

I also solved the issue with mass harvesting of cotton/flax on my DS by having all players start with some inventory items, including a seed box that contains important seeds like cotton, flax, and rubber, to name just a few. My islands (two, side by side) are also much larger than the explore islands so there is plenty of room meaning its harder to wipe items from the islands, though I will replenish ore if needed.

As for the horse, in this case, I daresay you were done a favor. Horse are bugged and can cause issue with your server when they are tamed (unless it's been fixed). I made it a point to kill any horse I found before even launching the DS and I encourage anyone that sees a horse that I may have missed, to kill it.

Edited by Whane The Whip

I am sure if one of the  cheaters encounters another  who is better at it,  you would soon get these forums full  of  them   whining and  crying   for the  developers to "fix" it :D

The  devs should respond with  craft- able   dummies   :P

48 minutes ago, kimbuck said:

I am sure if one of the  cheaters encounters another  who is better at it,  you would soon get these forums full  of  them   whining and  crying   for the  developers to "fix" it

lol, yeah pretty much. I and @YadNiMonde was encounter with griefer today, at night around 12-1 am ingame time, he (I don't know how) able to climb on top of the normal oak tree  (we don't know at first), and then shooting at YadNi twice, then we blend in the dark to hide, but he able to see me running around in the darkness and keep shooting at me with his xbow. I think he was shooting at me atleast 15 times, none of them on my body. That guy simply don't know how to shoot moving target. xD Finally some light is start to shining (around 3-4 am), I found him on top of the tree, ask him to go down, but no respond. So you know what that's mean? "Revenge" mode ON. I chop down the tree, he fell down. Me and YadNi with rage ON, chasing that guy. I got my xbow out then start shooting him down. Get like 3 of 5 shots, YadNi keep chasing that guy with his melee weapon. Finally we got him down in like 1 minute or so. xD And YadNi with rage still ON start fireplace beside him and burn that guy to his misery. :D

What a great moment dealing with griefer.. xD

• Haha 1

:D:D  Find   his   respawn  spot  and  build a  fence around it  O.o

By the  way.  Yadni is  quite a cool  dude... i met him in other  VR games  ( Second Life,  Inworldz..)  and  some of  his  creations  are amazing...    In one of the games  he  created a   'mini me'   ..it  looked  like a tiny voodoo doll:D

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Whane The Whip said:

I also solved the issue with mass harvesting of cotton/flax on my DS by having all players start with some inventory items, including a seed box that contains important seeds like cotton, flax, and rubber, to name just a few. My islands (two, side by side) are also much larger than the explore islands so there is plenty of room meaning its harder to wipe items from the islands, though I will replenish ore if needed.

Nice - is there a resource available for me to look into how to go about doing that?  I was thinking it would be great to set up starter kits for the people on my DS but wasn't sure how to make that happen.  I was thinking there'd have to be an object that dispenses it, which would then be exploited, but your idea sounds better and safer.