37 minutes ago, Baz Foobar said:

Nice - is there a resource available for me to look into how to go about doing that?  I was thinking it would be great to set up starter kits for the people on my DS but wasn't sure how to make that happen.  I was thinking there'd have to be an object that dispenses it, which would then be exploited, but your idea sounds better and safer.

The way I did it, was to generate the DS in the editor, then set a "role" and tie it to the spawn point. With roles you can set additional options, such as starting inventory, starting clothes worn, and a custom role name. If you've tried the official Buccaneers scenario, that is a good example of roles because there are several. There is a trade off though, and for some people this is a big factor, when generating a world using the editor, there is no option to include a protective barrier. On my server though, I think I have a good trade off because 1) you get starting inventory, 2) when you die you don't lose inventory (this is also set using roles). However it's reported that in the next update 0.7, the PB will prevent editing the terrain and painting by others. So players will probably prefer that after the 0.7 update. I'm not sure what I will do with my own DS after that, I'm really hoping that they will add the PB to the editor because that will give DS owners so much more to work with.

WYskkcF1Qjq7uDyuX90haQ.png
To reach roles, select the game logic menu in the DS...

yTgkwHY-Sdiqz49JPD72Qg.png

Then drag it to your map as you would do any logic item. I usually bring it next to the spawn point I'm using.

Once you place it, then you can double click it to bring up the options. Note the "death penalty" field, click it for options. This is how I enabled it so that items dont drop on death.

TYA3LGDbT8KypfmPYz4pKQ.png

14 hours ago, Whane The Whip said:

There is a trade off though, and for some people this is a big factor, when generating a world using the editor, there is no option to include a protective barrier.

Interesting.  Would it be possible to take a save file of an existing MP world, drop it in the editor, and add the modified player role and associated spawn point so that we can retain the protection barrier?  In other words, instead of generating a world and adding the role, what about taking an existing world that has the barrier and then add the role to that?

Thanks for the pointers - definitely gave me some food for thought.

1 hour ago, Baz Foobar said:

broInteresting.  Would it be possible to take a save file of an existing MP world, drop it in the editor, and add the modified player role and associated spawn point so that we can retain the protection barrier?  In other words, instead of generating a world and adding the role, what about taking an existing world that has the barrier and then add the role to that?

I have not done a lot of testing with 0.63 yet but in the previous version, the only way to get access to spawn points and roles was to generate a world directly through the editor. Whenever I opened a single player game or mp self-hosted (not DS) game I did not get access to the logics menu items which is where the spawn point and role items are located.

In short:

If I generate a world using the editor then I get to add custom spawn points and roles. But no orb.
If I generate an Explore world then I get an Orb, but no custom spawn or roles, when pulled into the editor, logics are disabled.

This has left me glaring at the screen more than once because I want both and the solution is for BI to simply add the broken orb in the editor as a logic item that can be place in the inventory of roles. I don't think it could be added as a placeable item within the editor because the orb has to be tied to a character, that would mean it would have to be present in a players inventory at start, precisely the way an Explore map works.

I tried several work-arounds but none worked so I had to go with the best option for what I wanted to do, which meant using the editor to generate a custom world for the DS, and no orb.

Edited by Whane The Whip

38 minutes ago, Whane The Whip said:

I tried several work-arounds but none worked so I had to go with the best option for what I wanted to do, which meant using the editor to generate a custom world for the DS, and no orb.

Thanks Whane, I played around with different things and came to the same conclusion.  Here's hoping that BI adds more flexibility to this aspect in the future.  For now, I'm trying out your suggestion and going with a generated map with some starter items, no drop on death, and a custom spawn/role.  The world isn't as interesting (no caves or random sites), but hopefully the human inhabitants will make up for it with their own creativity, even if griefers can now destroy things without the barrier protection.  I'll just have to take more backups and keep an eye on things.

@Baz Foobar In fact, most of what I've seen on other servers, is only destroying a block or two to get access to a chest inside a room, for this the orb is nice and the bad griefers are using the terrain to troll. But on my server no one is really destroying things and the most secure container is player inventory, add to that the seed box, herb bag, soil bag which all go into player inventory, and that's a fair amount of space to keep the best items, then use containers for less valuable stuff that most people wont steal.

The biggest disadvantage though, is that without the orb, players don't have access to remove blocks with one click on their bases, unless they do it within that first 2 minutes of placement. It's easy for me because I've given myself the cube, but I feel bad when I see someone chipping away at an entire wall of stone that they decided against.

Edited by Whane The Whip

I am not playing MP again until the whole area of the so called "protective barrier" is really entirely protected, those bullies are a nightmare, in real world i would slap them in the face.

20180121081830_1.thumb.jpg.de383712a57f8f94ab5a0779ee306cab.jpg

20180121081901_1.thumb.jpg.647c03263ab85e01c2277b724c18bc60.jpg

20180121081922_1.thumb.jpg.589a48a1425c13c988859224f696b9b0.jpg

I had placed an underlining of bamboo right under the surface of the WHOLE floor of my cabin, the only ones that stayed are the ones build "normally", ALL the holes with stations collapsed are the ones i placed in FREE MODE. So you cannot count on Structures placed in Free Mode, lesson learned, all my chests are damned empty.

Of course this all happened when i was offline sleeping my RL night.

Edited by YadNiMonde

2 hours ago, YadNiMonde said:

I am not playing MP again until the whole area of the so called "protective barrier" is really entirely protected, those bullies are a nightmare, in real world i would slap them in the face.

@YadNi I'm really sorry I can't protect your house successfully.. I though you made fully filled block square house, I'm wrong about the floor.. :( Yeah able to dig/pour dirt inside protective barrier is really bad issue that need to be fixed really soon.

298610_20180121163335_1.thumb.png.d8aa79303dda48ff71ccdf2d32e12750.png

• Like 1

I'm pretty much done with MP unless I can find a good closed group. I was working on building my ship, went out to gather some supplies. When I got back, my ship was a black husk. I didn't even know you could burn them. It's great that the barrier protects my base, but as designed now, it wll never protect the ship.

6 minutes ago, bb cakes said:

When I got back, my ship was a black husk.

Are you sure it's not "Black ship bug" that contain on multiplayer? It happen to me couple times, only black ship hull left.Then I relogin, my ship back to normal. 

Here is my post in the past, I said this bug in Client side issue part point 4.

Edited by Velocifer
  • Thanks 1

i know I have been on mp and as soon as I appeared I was killed multiple times by a player named cowabunga I'm not saying it was you but by a player with the same name

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 4:43 PM, gazig1 said:

Hello

I was walking back to my base minding my own business was attacked by cowa killed him then his friend came same.

Then they shut down server and put password on.

Soo I wasn't cheating or trying to kill anyone and I am being truthful.

Sadly,  what you have  encountered will see the  demise of  many MP  groups. Some   want to win at any cost  and if they cannot,  well, they "take their  bat and  ball   and go home"  as you discovered

Cheaters?.... some may be innocent ,  some  may  not. 

All you can do is  search around to find a server with a group that's  similar minded and  who play the game fairly.^_^

With the  updates  due,  and  new players  joining in  the  numbers of  non pvp  servers will increase,  especially  when  others   realize the creativity  of the game  and there is more to it   than slaughtering everybody and destroying everything

9 hours ago, bb cakes said:

I'm pretty much done with MP unless I can find a good closed group. I was working on building my ship, went out to gather some supplies. When I got back, my ship was a black husk. I didn't even know you could burn them. It's great that the barrier protects my base, but as designed now, it wll never protect the ship.

I have a public 24/7 dedicated server right now, and a Discord set up for it.  It hasn't been getting much use but I keep it around to try things out.  If I can find a good group of people who are serious about keeping a decent environment going, no griefing, no cheating, no BS - I'd consider locking it up and doing something just for that group.  I have full control of the physical server so I back it up on a regular interval and save daily restore points, etc.

• Like 1

I'm not discouraged by it. Out of 141 unique visitors to my DS, 5 have been banned, I banned 4, another admin has banned 1.

5/141 isn't that bad imo.

2 hours ago, Baz Foobar said:

I have a public 24/7 dedicated server right now, and a Discord set up for it.  It hasn't been getting much use but I keep it around to try things out.  If I can find a good group of people who are serious about keeping a decent environment going, no griefing, no cheating, no BS - I'd consider locking it up and doing something just for that group.  I have full control of the physical server so I back it up on a regular interval and save daily restore points, etc.

I would be interested if you are inviting.

10 hours ago, bb cakes said:

I would be interested if you are inviting.

I’ll set it up today to be private and will be in touch with details. 

Anyone else want to take part in this?

• Upvote 1