bigblockhead

Thoughts on sailing,while sailing

Question

There is lots of time to think while sailing....

The map reveal seems out of proportion to what you could actually see, and the ylands sort of appear out of nowhere.

I feel sure I am sailing right past them sometimes, if you don't notice the birds, there is no chance of seeing them.

so slow.....

a landing craft that was recoverable, instead of building rafts at each yland

A compass and continued sailing when releasing the helm will be nice.

Can we have a cursor on the map to show the ship's position? 

The "close" button on the map disapears  on a blue background

so slow.......

perhaps the ship could have an inventory, or an upgrade, rather than covering the deck with chests. you know we keep everything

so slow.....

Motors? a JIb? sharks on harnesses? Oars?

wait I think I see a bird.....

Do we really have to die in 10 seconds flat for falling into cold water? I got back on the raft and was dead before i could turn it around.

45 minutes of sailing to find an island, dead before i get to the shore.

Rage

A map is based on knowledge- once terrain has been discovered, each new map should be the same. finding the ship with a blank map is very difficult.

Edited by bigblockhead
  • Upvote 2

17 replies to this bug / suggestion

Thanks for the feedback - we are actually going over potential future improvements and fixes related to boats and ships right now so this is a very good timing.

• Upvote 2

On 5.5.2017 at 5:13 PM, bigblockhead said:

/.../

The map reveal seems out of proportion to what you could actually see, and the ylands sort of appear out of nowhere.

I feel sure I am sailing right past them sometimes, if you don't notice the birds, there is no chance of seeing them.

/.../

a landing craft that was recoverable, instead of building rafts at each yland

You inspired me with some crazyness..

1. You can also see seaweeds and rafts(etc) long before you see the outline of an island.. which lead me thinking you could add some seaweeds/rafts on an yland just to mark its outlines.
  2. A friendly dolphin will always be there to hitch you a ride back :D

Ok, so I learned a few things, too.

The propeller pack is essential for exploration, well worth the y-dust. No more falling into freezing water.

Multiple masts= More speed

I have still not unlocked a "warmth" potion recipe--anyone??? I would like that gear back someday.

So, although the map needs a lot of work, I agree that making it too easy to recover would devalue the effort needed to play the survival mode.

Operation: Arctic Recovery , a multi-national rescue effort at the deadly Port O'Peguins

Ylands_170509_111128.png

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bigblockhead said:

I have still not unlocked a "warmth" potion recipe--anyone??? I would like that gear back someday.

I'm not sure about it but try Desert Sage. ;)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm finding myself ignoring the map more and more when sailing and instead just using the birds.  Once you have found most of the ylands you can use the birds to navigate from one to the other easier than constantly consulting the map.

In near future (hopefully, fingers crossed :)) we plan to perform some changes so that you would be able to see ylands on the horizon from a long distance. We believe that would make sailing easier (and exploration more fun).

• Upvote 3

i was a bit confused a couple of days ago, as the amount of birds was quite large to the amount of islands i found. are there island with more than one bird?

More ship suggestions:

• Make it possible to craft a propeller for small boats or rafts :) Endgame stuff like the propeller backpack.
  • Make it possible to use a rope and a hook to hook on rafts or small boats to the large ship for easy access on and off islands.
  • Remake the shark to make it attack small boats or rafts? :) Would make exploring alot more terrifying and interesting ;) 
  • Make a hull for the large ship like a small house for sleeping and storage.
  • I want a parrot that shouts ship ohoy on my pirate ship to make it easier too spot land + feel awsome! :P 
Edited by andr0id88

19 minutes ago, Aethelis said:

want the parrot too!

I want it too :D

Hm, so pretty much everyone seems to want a parrot! Alright, alright - noted ;) 

• Upvote 2

Dropping a few more ship suggestions:

A crane/winch to put on the back/side of our ship to lift a small boat, to be able to get to shore and back. It doesn't make sense to craft a raft/boat and to leave it behind every time, whereas trying to get close with a ship will quite often make you run aground.

Ship naming: When placing the hull, a window should appear to name the ship, similar to taming horses. Renaming could be done with the radial menu by the owner. After the boat has been given a name, it would be nice to see the actual name on the boat on either side of the bow and on the stern.

Boat building rights could be managed with the radial menu, as well as transferring ownership to other players.

• Upvote 1

We can have fun  coloring the parrot with countless colors!!;)

I solved the landing issue  by  having a   set of stairs  on my ship facing towards the  bow,  with a  sea level platform. I can  nudge  my ship  close to shore where there are shoals .. then use  dirt to  build a causeway  to the shoreline. I then place  some  Stone panels as a  gangplank  from the causeway to the ship bow platform...and place on the  end of the gangplank a lantern.

Would be  great to be able to build a wider ship ... like an aircraft  carrier,   which  could become a floating  base.... with room for   smelters,  etc

currently  drinking  coffee  waiting for  chance to see new  upgrades in action.  Hopefully  will not see more flying pigs ...  one ran away from me  and  climbed a tree..    and  then   launched  into  space to land  about 100  meters from me - i missed the screenshot  as i was laughing  too much!