Just did a recon yesterday with a boat and found Coal, it was on a "normal temprature" Yland with alot of rocks, snow top mountains. Also found 1 Ylandium in a cave on that Yland :) really was worried about the coal but final found some (800 units) after a long search. My 1st Yland had alot (12 pieces) of Ylandium, been on 3 other islands with caves and only found 1 piece so far (besides the mutated bones).

I have been on 9 ylands now, coal on one, copper on one, ylandium crystals in one cave only so far. You should try to kill all the mutated kitty cats for their bones.

The coal was right under an iron deposit, barely visible, be sure to dig around a bit. After nothing at all on 8 Ylands, found one almost made of copper, keep sailing and don't die!

• Upvote 1

You guys are making me nervous!  I plan on setting sail today after work to go exploring and look for some coal!  

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Gracekain said:

You guys are making me nervous!  I plan on setting sail today after work to go exploring and look for some coal!  

Once you set sail i would fast fowerd that part for youtube viewers :) it could take some time before you find a new Yland, but remember to look for birds, birds in the sky means land is near ;) 

36 minutes ago, A3_Melle said:

Once you set sail i would fast fowerd that part for youtube viewers :) it could take some time before you find a new Yland, but remember to look for birds, birds in the sky means land is near ;) 

haha!  I will.  thanks for the tip on birds, I didn't know that.

• Upvote 1

Still didnt find any coal in game. I started new game but still didnt find. Even the darkest collored veins that i found, they gave me stone, stone chuns etc. Searched to any type of island even to the deepest cave and nothing. Any screen shot about how it looks like?

Maybe this helps a bit: the Yland type where i found Coal (forgot to take a screenshot of the coal itself).

Ylands_170506_050102.png

i believe that in every new game we made after the .3 patch, no coal spawn vein at all...

i started a new game a couple of days ago. not only, but also because i couldnt find coal.

i started on a yland with oaks and conifers and a rather mountainous one. it has lots of coal veins on the surface, at least one of them paired with iron.

i'll drop a closer pic later.

yskY4ve.png

32 minutes ago, Gracekain said:

I am starting to wonder if I should start over.

Why? Coal is sure there somewhere... 

Just now, Miguel Preguisa said:

Why? Coal is sure there somewhere... 

I have seen it in the game back when I played a few months ago but I have started a new game and I hope there isn't some bug preventing people from finding it.

11 minutes ago, Gracekain said:

I have seen it in the game back when I played a few months ago but I have started a new game and I hope there isn't some bug preventing people from finding it.

I'm watching your new series and I'm sure you will be able to locate some coal. To summarize what I know about coal:

• A really black vein
  • Located mostly on hills
  • Only Looks like just mostly (because of the screenshot by Aethelis) at the "conifers + birch" Ylands (never recently found it anywhere else)
  • There shouldn't be any bug with it, I found a new vein yesterday on a world generated after the 0.3 update

PS: What is Coal even needed for? Anything more than the Steel blocks?

Edited by Miguel Preguisa

Gotcha, that is what I was afraid of.  So if you found some in the 0.3 update then I should be good.  Isn't coal used in gunpowder?

I think only Charcoal is needed for Gunpowder. :) 

Edited by Miguel Preguisa
200th post! :P
  • Upvote 1

afaik charcoal is for gunpowder and coal for steel. 

and i found it just once in all the games i started so far. so i cant say if the type of island is important. but as my new yland is rather steep, height might be.

Those "conifer + spruce" Ylands are full of mountains so maybe the coal is really just in big heights. If devs are not tired of our conversation all about a coal and they're reading it all, here's a little suggestion: Lower the height needed for coal appearing. I don't see any reason why should coal be that much rare. :) 

1 hour ago, Miguel Preguisa said:

Those "conifer + spruce" Ylands are full of mountains so maybe the coal is really just in big heights. If devs are not tired of our conversation all about a coal and they're reading it all, here's a little suggestion: Lower the height needed for coal appearing. I don't see any reason why should coal be that much rare. :) 

I am sure they are not tired of reading this, don't forget we are the early acces "testers" what they read now on feedback (negative or positive) will help them create a even better Ylands that's the point of early acces ;) 

And if you think this is a busy forum with "feedback, suggestions, compliments and complaints"  check out the ARMA3 forums :P The stuff the A3 BI team needs to read their is a lot wurse than here...... trust me ;) 

5 hours ago, Miguel Preguisa said:

I found a coal vein that reached below the sea level, was worried to flood my hole in ground and get frozen. Savegame was created before 0.3 though.

i have two pics now..

uSz2EQ8.png

lBrVwVs.png

all three "veins" are rather high above the sealevel. i dug into almost black rock in the past, even if it looked almost like the first pic.

the brownish sprinkles in the black are a best way to identivy coal imo.

I've been having trouble finding coal as well.  Been to about 8 ylands and have not found it yet.  Although I searched some of them rather quickly.  Looks like I'll be heading back to the mountain yland with spruce trees based on these replies.  Thanks for the screen shots!  Also good to hear I'm not the only one going crazy trying to find coal :) 

Thanks for the feedback, guys. We're looking into it - distributing resources the right way is a bit tricky and it's possible that there's actually some issue there.

• Upvote 1