Sign in to follow this  
Aethelis

Shiphull Variations

Question

hey,

rolled some thought about different ships and hullshapes lately.

most would be mostly cosmetic differences i guess, but there could be some differences in draft and such. and while i'm fine with whats available currently, i hope that there will be others in the future.

two i'd like personaly a lot, would be a longship and trieme/galley styled hull, maybe even two sizes too.

then there could be hulls of iron or steel, would be nice if those had a different shape too.

secretly i hope for steampowered machines in the game and that could also be used well for ships, be they flying or normal wavebound ones :)

• Upvote 1

9 replies to this bug / suggestion

I like the idea.  Be cool to have a ship hull you can go inside of and make a living quarters.  even if the rooms are per laid out.

As i did to another post, im waiting to see Submarines in game. ofc combined with steampowered idea ;)

i think i have seen a post about this too, but kind of a dingy that can be deployed from a bigger ship, or tied to the back of the larger ships would be extremly handy... (and the bamboo population on my island would also appreciate this ;) )

taking it a step further.. a mini-sub on a large ironclad ship for quick deepwater exploration would be sweet (or at least one of those early diving suits with a airpump on the ship)

QGbgv9k.jpg

The reason behind us using the simple one-piece non-hollow hulls is because it made things easier for us to implement and that is important because we have only a limited number of programmers / time and ships are just one of many features in the game. We do have some cool plans how to improve the ships in a big way (because although they're cool, they could be waaay cooler ;) ) but unfortunately it will probably take months before the ships will get yet another large update.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Aleš Ulm said:

The reason behind us using the simple one-piece non-hollow hulls is because it made things easier for us to implement and that is important because we have only a limited number of programmers / time and ships are just one of many features in the game. We do have some cool plans how to improve the ships in a big way (because although they're cool, they could be waaay cooler ;) ) but unfortunately it will probably take months before the ships will get yet another large update.

And let's not forget the "future mod community" if you look at the ARMA franchise for example....... holy f*ck (pardon my french) even if Ylands becomes half as popular as the ARMA franchise there will be some splendid mods :) 

totaly fine for me.

just wanted to point it out for potential moders, i case they dont know with what to start once its enabled :D

I agree. I have personally written down 60 ideas for possible Yland features. Some could be added by the Yland team, some could be made by modders in the future. Including this ship idea.

I'm fairly interested in Game design, so I'll make a few suggestions to design of some of my 60 written down suggestions. I love low poly games (probably due to being an alpha player of Minecraft too + being a builder).

I got a few more suggestions now, so I'm counting on posting my 60+ suggestions with a bit of suggested designs, at some time in the near future. I do though have to play a bit more to make sure I'm not suggesting something that are already in the game. I've only been playing for 3 days so...

On 8.5.2017 at 4:55 AM, Naking said:

I like the idea.  Be cool to have a ship hull you can go inside of and make a living quarters.  even if the rooms are per laid out.

didnt even think of that in the first place, and with Alesh' response it makes sense to not have interiors.

out of curiosity, could there be something inbetween non-hollow hulls and full interiors? maybe just a small, open pit, where players could put a crate or two and place a floor and hatch over it themselfs? i'm a complete amateur to that 3d modeling stuff, so i cant really tell how time-consuming this would be :)

would moders be able to alter the existing hulls in such a fashion?

i just imagined, that it could be fun to have a shaft through the hull and cover the bottom with glas..