Aleš Ulm

Sneak Peek #30

Hi there, fellow ylanders.

As we're getting closer to the release of 0.4 it makes sense to tell you more about this "Stylish Sharing". What we're preparing is a web service with the functionality quite similar to Steam Workshop (therefore the current internal name Ylands Workshop - which may change at some point). The service will be released as "beta" because we plan on improving it as much as needed based on the feedback you will (hopefully) provide us with.

Right from the start, you will be able to share (and download) two types of "objects":

Games

You will be able to export any existing game via Game Editor and share it with others.

Composition

A composition is actually a new feature. Basically, it's two or more separate objects merged into one. Some of you may know that it is possible to merge objects in groups in the Editor already. This is similar but the resulting object can be saved and then used as many times as necessary in this or any other game. Think of it this way - you build a cool looking house. You turn it into a composition in the Editor and from that point, you can (again, in the Editor) place it in any game you wish. Now if you think "but I have never created a house cool enough to keep" then don't despair because as long as someone who can do that uploads this composition to the Workshop, you will be able to find it there, get it and enjoy it! But we're not talking just about houses - what if you downloaded something that would, for example, add premade dungeon-like assets in your editor so that you could finally start working on that cool RPG you always wanted to make... in Ylands!

The next thing that will become available later will be Mods - this will let you add your own assets (models, sounds...) in the game. Initially, we planned for this to be the part of the Workshop right from the start but based on an assessment of how many players would be using that right now we delayed it a couple of months in favor of some other, more important features.

Please note: once we release the update, some of the games that used to be an integral part of Ylands will disappear from the list. Don't worry though - they will all be available at the workshop and getting the ones you like will take just one or two clicks.

Ylands-Beta-LogoWorkshop-01.png

Almost there!

"Respawning"

Let me also address another feature we will be improving/changing in the upcoming update. There have been many discussions about the way the characters get to respawn. The fact that they respawned at the same place over and over again meant that many times players ended up far from their ships, from places they wanted to be. We've had some ideas about how respawning should be improved but those would require a lot of work and testing and therefore time and since you, the players, made it obvious the current state wasn't really working for you, we decided to take an immediate action.

In 0.4, whenever your character dies a new one will appear randomly on the beach of that very yland. If the yland's biome is cold the character starts with warm clothes and possibly even little food to make sure they won't die right away. There is, however, a potential problem with this solution. It could, under some circumstances, lead to a vicious circle of the player's character dying over and over on a yland from which it would be impossible to escape (for example, if their ship would sink and there would be no materials to build another one on that yland).

In order to avoid this, whenever the character dies, there will be an option to spawn the next character at a "safe" place - the place where your very first character has spawned in this game. That way you might end up far from where your last character died (with all those cool things) but you would at least be sure that you'd have something to eat, enough material to build a new ship or at least a raft..

Speaking of respawning - in its current form it feels a bit confusing so there are some other things we'll be changing quite soon, but we'll talk about that some other time.

Until then you have a great time, ylanders, and stay classy!

• Upvote 4

thank you very much!

the respawn "hotfix" is very generous, i really appreciate! i think as a temporary thing its great (the final thing can be more restrictive imo) and will make players go out there and do crazy stuff and post pics of new islands and fantastic ships.

you rock!

• Upvote 1

works great; I 'snorkle suicided' just right off the shore on the game i'm on currently... and spawned on the other side on the same island; wasn't sure if i'd need to make a new isle or not, but no worries. Thanks you guys! <3 Worked perfectly ^_^

edit: this snorkle suicide was on purpose, btw ^^

Edited by Jeania

5 hours ago, Jeania said:

works great; I 'snorkle suicided' just right off the shore on the game i'm on currently... and spawned on the other side on the same island; wasn't sure if i'd need to make a new isle or not, but no worries. Thanks you guys! <3 Worked perfectly ^_^

edit: this snorkle suicide was on purpose, btw ^^

Are you sure? I thought that they are talking about 0.4 which isn't out yet...

• Downvote 1

lol I don't mean an actual snorkel; i meant along the lines of i dove down and failed at holding my breath ^^ on purpose though; i wanted to make sure i rezzed nearby before i continued with this map ^^ @Miguel Preguisa

Edited by Jeania

The new way of respawning will be available in the upcoming update 4.0 (ETA 2 - 3 weeks) - if something unexpected/new happens before that then it's probably a bug :) 

• Upvote 1

With this being an alpha game, the respawn system is a no brainer.  Less time finding you lost gear/ship = more time for us to play test the game :)

In the future i hope you guys will consider making players able to choose a bed as a spawnpoint, bed on the ship for example :) Never played multiplayer yet, but then the bed would actually serve a purpose there too atleast ;) But i am sure you allready considered this option, and it would probably be alot of work too implement on such short notice ;) Really looking forward to this update, keep up the good work! :) 

Edited by andr0id88