Sign in to follow this  
John - NEXFER

UNDER REVIEW Dedicated Server Issues

Question

Hi all,

I will update this post with known dedicated server issues, and cross them off once they have been confirmed as fixed.

The reason for this is that since the increase in people playing on servers, bugs may come to light and the forum may become messy for someone looking for information about them, searching within a ton of different posts.

So, I will update this post when I see your posts about dedicated server related bugs, and when the developers post confirmation of fixes etc.

Or just post in this thread with the information, up to you!

Importance Key:

* Critical

+ Important

- Trivial

Current Known Bugs:

[*] Dedicated server freezing - The server may seem like it's working, but players are unable to connect after a while (happens faster with more players logged in). Restarting can sometimes fix this, or you may have to create a new save game to host (rarer).

[*] Client stuck on "downloading game data" or "recalling buildings" - I think this happens when the server has frozen, as mentioned above.

[*] All timers stop working in kilns etc, and therefor no items can be crafted anywhere in the game- making it literally unplayable. The save file is affected even when booted.

[+] All online players become frozen for a second or two, whenever someone else logs in to the server.

[-] Running over a shark with a large boat, will make the shark stuck on deck of the boat.

[-] Having a horse on a large boat, will make your ship flip over when you try and set-sail, as if the horse weighs a lot more than the ship, because... physics.

[+] Dedicated servers have some lag (delayed animations, running on the spot, clicking an item and nothing happens for some time delayed, etc), that seems to be isolated to the game, other servers I host have no lag, and there are plenty of system resources spare.

[+] Trying to destroy placed blocks results in a "failed" message, though they can be picked up before the two minute timer ends.

[+] Server Monitor using more CPU % than the server itself (50% monitor, 25% server).

Fixed Known Bugs:

[*] Server list overlapping, no scrolling.

[*] Boats sinking underwater.

[*] Broken crafting menu, missing items.

[*] Character unable to act upon respawn.

30 replies to this bug / suggestion

Thanks a lot for the feedback - I'm forwarding this to the programmer who's responsible for the dedicated server so that he can take a look at it :)

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Aleš Ulm said:

Thanks a lot for the feedback - I'm forwarding this to the programmer who's responsible for the dedicated server so that he can take a look at it :)

Great! I must say, this game has so far really surpassed my expectations in every way, I'm currently filming a series of episodes for YouTube as I play it, and will likely be very active with it once it launches to Steam. The dedicated server factor is a huge ++ so keep up the good work!

• Upvote 1

Hi, sorry for the issues you've been having with our dedicated servers! We've managed to pinpoint the issue and it should be fixed in the next update. :)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Berzeger said:

Hi, sorry for the issues you've been having with our dedicated servers! We've managed to pinpoint the issue and it should be fixed in the next update. :)

Excellent, thank you! I await the update with anticipation. :)

Hi again,

It seems that I am still unable to connect to my dedicated server, after the recent update and since updating both client and server versions.

I now get stuck on the client, as soon as I click on connect to my server, from the server list.

It hangs indefinitely on "Establishing Connection", however, there is no sign of connection from my self on the server monitor.

I did see another player show up on the server monitor, then "connected" and shortly after "disconnected", but no sign of my self.

Further, I was able to chat to this player in the server monitor window, using the SEND button, and they were online, so it's just me.

If I click on cancel to abort "Establishing Connection", I am left with a slightly blurred out menu screen and nothing is clickable, so I have to force close the client.

Current setup is much like the original above, I have two PC's and one of them has the dedicated server on it (gtx 750ti), and is port forwarded to on 28000. I launch the server monitor via the YlandsLauncher --servermonitor, and log in with my account (maybe I need two accounts for this?). Further, the exception is prompted and added to my firewall, when I choose the server name and ports, then click okay (local 28005, external 28000).

I then connect to the game from my second PC (gtx 1060). I log in using the YlandsLauncher, and log in with my account (so this account is logged in twice now? Maybe issues?).

I then run the game with "Play" and connect to the server via the server list, and get stuck.

Did I miss something here?

Do I need two accounts to achieve what I'm trying here (Two PC's 1 with server 1 with game)?

I have tried running both server and client on the same PC, however it gives the black loading screen with sound only bug as mentioned in the original post.

Attached are the server logs from the server machine, and the client logs from the client machine.

I'd quite like to play on my own server!

output_log_server.txt

output_log_client.txt

My server seems to work, I am able to connect to it and play around. Because it's on a VPS the startup times are long yet when playing everything seems alright!

17 minutes ago, WijkagentAdrie said:

My server seems to work, I am able to connect to it and play around. Because it's on a VPS the startup times are long yet when playing everything seems alright!

Good to know, then it seems likely that it's a unique IP issue, or local network issue. As others can connect to it (like it was a VPS), just I can't within my own network!

I did notice that my server had popped up in the server list, prior to me port forwarding to it, suggesting that it's connecting locally on LAN. I guess it is possible this issue is then located in connecting via LAN (192.168.*.*) and it seems to choose to do this by default on the server list (no option to change this manually?).

Short of hosting my server remotely, I'm not sure what to try next!

I have a 16gb quad-core sitting waiting to be used for this server, I'd hate to part with the monthly money to get a dedicated server with this spec, when I've got a better option! I also have a very fast net connection which I pay a bunch for, would hate to waste these already paid for resources and host it remotely! 

Edited by Ylanders UK Dedicated

6 minutes ago, Ylanders UK Dedicated said:

Good to know, then it seems likely that it's a unique IP issue, or local network issue. As others can connect to it (like it was a VPS), just I can't within my own network!

I did notice that my server had popped up in the server list, prior to me port forwarding to it, suggesting that it's connecting locally on LAN. I guess it is possible this issue is then located in connecting via LAN (192.168.*.*) and it seems to choose to do this by default on the server list (no option to change this manually?).

Short of hosting my server remotely, I'm not sure what to try next!

I have a 16gb quad-core sitting waiting to be used for this server, I'd hate to part with the monthly money to get a dedicated server with this spec, when I've got a better option! I also have a very fast net connection which I pay a bunch for, would hate to waste these already paid for resources and host it remotely! 

I'm currently hosting on a shitty VPS I was renting and wasn't using at the moment, I've made a forum post for it with the password. Despite the very low specs I didn't notice any lag yet, which seems ok. You mind if I add you on Steam if you have it?

11 minutes ago, WijkagentAdrie said:

I'm currently hosting on a shitty VPS I was renting and wasn't using at the moment, I've made a forum post for it with the password. Despite the very low specs I didn't notice any lag yet, which seems ok. You mind if I add you on Steam if you have it?

Feel free - http://steamcommunity.com/id/ylanders

So we've narrowed down the issue to connecting via LAN, which effectively means I can't host a server and play on it unless it's hosted remotely on a VPS or Dedicated Server.

Other players can connect just fine, however, when I try and connect from within my own network (192.168.0.11 connecting to 192.168.0.3), the client hangs on "Establishing Connection" with these errors in the log file - 

[net] connect attempt: endpoint=[EndPoint 192.168.0.3:65534 | 13882345864254521342] token=requestId=0b55b775-6ab3-4a66-b9df-df763131bdb6 bohemiaId=b4a9e6cf-8b67-4c8c-a840-618e4ab0e950 password=

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

[net] failed to connect endpoint=[EndPoint 192.168.0.3:65534 | 13882345864254521342] token=requestId=0b55b775-6ab3-4a66-b9df-df763131bdb6 bohemiaId=b4a9e6cf-8b67-4c8c-a840-618e4ab0e950 password=

Seems likely this is an easy fix if it is just a LAN issue, any ideas?

output_log_server.txt

output_log_client.txt

Another issue: On both the UK ylands and on my server after a while the server freezes. You're still able to look around but you are stuck in place and can't use the hotbar etc. Happened to other people on my server as well unfortunately.

I've fixed my issue it seems, I took the following steps, and it seems likely that this was either a save game issue, or a port issue.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Ylands on both client and server machines, deleted all the user data in My Documents (saves etc) on both PC's.

I then created a new save game on the client PC and copied it over to the server PC, however, last time I did not delete this save game file from the client PC, this time I deleted it, so that only 1 copy of this save could be found, on the server PC. - This could have been the issue, though unsure.

I then noticed in the log files that the client was trying to connect to the server on "192.168.0.3:65534", so I changed the local port to 65535 and external port to 65534, as it seemed to be requesting this port and not the port that I had chosen for it (28000).

I then booted the server and tried to connect with the client, and success, I logged in just fine!

So, it seems like my issue was either save game file related, or port related, or something else related that was fixed by reinstalling Ylands.

Likely not a bug but a config issue then.

24 minutes ago, WijkagentAdrie said:

Another issue: On both the UK ylands and on my server after a while the server freezes. You're still able to look around but you are stuck in place and can't use the hotbar etc. Happened to other people on my server as well unfortunately.

Ah, that's no good, I noticed a lot of people connecting and disconnecting last night / this morning, I just assumed they weren't talking, but perhaps they were stuck too :( I've rebooted it anyway and I'm now online!

So, we've now encountered an issue whereby after a while, the server hung and we had to disconnect, upon restarting the server and reconnecting, we both were unable to load back in to game, becoming stuck on "Downloading game data from the server" or "Recalling buildings".

I created a new save within the Server Monitor and I'm able to log in to it just fine, however, we have thus lost our progress and wouldn't want to keep going round in circles!

Here is the affected save game file - YLANDERS_UK_DEDICATED.zip

Here is the server log - output_log.txt

Here is the client log - output_log.txt

Also worth noting, you can load this save game file just fine in single player mode, it's just trying to connect to it via the dedicated server that is an issue.

We've encountered an issue where the client will freeze after sinking a ship using TNT. The first time both our clients froze upon dynamite blast. We blew up the ship because it was grounded. It was a bunch of dynamite attached to the ship, triggered by a frag grenade. Second time we tested it more on open see, the crash only occured after the ship had hit the bottom of the ocean. In both cases the crash happened while the ship was on the bottom, although the first time the moment of explosion + ship on bottom were the same moment (if you get me :) ). All this happened in a dedicated server!

output_log.txt

My dedicated server (run on 1 core of a Xeon E3-1241 v3 @ 3.5Ghz) is also getting constantly hung at 100% Recalling buildings. I think it's purely a question of not enough power on the VPS, but maybe not. Running a Ylands server sounds like it's going to be very expensive without some optimizations.

32 minutes ago, Perpetucake said:

My dedicated server (run on 1 core of a Xeon E3-1241 v3 @ 3.5Ghz) is also getting constantly hung at 100% Recalling buildings. I think it's purely a question of not enough power on the VPS, but maybe not. Running a Ylands server sounds like it's going to be very expensive without some optimizations.

Same. Sometimes literally loading for 30 minutes fixes it. Also the occasional server stucks still happen, especially when you pick up some items from the ground at those prebuilt settings/buildings.

I've updated the original post with a more structured approach, this should help keep a handle on some of these bugs until they get fixed.

I'll add one to it: for some reason my servermonitor is using 50+% CPU whereas the actual server stays around 25% which looks weird, seeing how less the server monitor does.

Also server performance is really low since last update, picking up stuff takes about 5 seconds every time.

Adrie

57 minutes ago, WijkagentAdrie said:

I'll add one to it: for some reason my servermonitor is using 50+% CPU whereas the actual server stays around 25% which looks weird, seeing how less the server monitor does.

Also server performance is really low since last update, picking up stuff takes about 5 seconds every time.

Adrie

Added to the list, I'm not sure in what instance your server monitor (ServerMonitor.exe), is using more CPU % than your server (Ylands.exe)?

Mine is running at between 25-30% CPU on Ylands.exe and 5-10 % on ServerMonitor.exe, though this could all change depending on how many people online I guess. At the moment nobody is online, so this would be the floor rate, rather than the ceiling.

I don't know how much it scales up with players online, I will monitor it though.

Likewise, the Ylands.exe is consuming 2,012,356 KB (2GB) of RAM and the ServerMonitor.exe is comsuming 212,796 KB (0.2GB).

Does it maintain your 50% / 25% ratio for any length of time? Or is it spiking up to that and dropping down?

And yes, I've noticed a considerable performance hit in-game, a lot of new freezing and lag spiking while playing since the update it seems?

On my server, servermonitor also uses WAY more cpu, even when doing literally nothing- not even having a server booted.

Also, after running the server for awhile, eventually it stops accepting new clients and hangs at 100% downloading the game data from the server for everyone until a restart.

I've got a ~1GB Ylands log from the dedicated server, the server monitor log is empty for some reason. output_log - Copy.rar

Additionally, on one world, all timers have stopped working in kilns etc, and therefor no items can be crafted anywhere in the game- making it literally unplayable. The save file is affected even when booted locally. _____________________________________________agay.rar

1 hour ago, Perpetucake said:

On my server, servermonitor also uses WAY more cpu, even when doing literally nothing- not even having a server booted.

Also, after running the server for awhile, eventually it stops accepting new clients and hangs at 100% downloading the game data from the server for everyone until a restart.

I've got a ~1GB Ylands log from the dedicated server, the server monitor log is empty for some reason. output_log - Copy.rar

Additionally, on one world, all timers have stopped working in kilns etc, and therefor no items can be crafted anywhere in the game- making it literally unplayable. The save file is affected even when booted locally. _____________________________________________agay.rar

Yeah these things happen with me as well, though I haven't ran into the timers one yet, will add it to the list in the original post. I've shut down my server for now, till the crucial stability issues are resolved. Not much point in trying for 24/7 at the moment!

Our latest server save got corrupted in a new way, it won't load in the server :( I've tried to send the save to my own PC but I can't even open it in single player either. The server froze like it does all the time, yet it won't load this map anymore. Making a new map or loading another map works.

Adrie

ADRIE'S_SERVER!_24_7,_ACTIVE_ADMIN,_SEE_FORUMTOPIC.rar

output_log MONITOR.txt

output_log SERVER.txt

@Aleš Ulm It seems that the multiplayer way of hosting, does not have the same issue as the dedicated server way of hosting (Freezing up, players unable to connect etc) - further, connecting to the server is much faster with the multiplayer method.

I've bought a second copy of Ylands and have set up a multiplayer server, which I have set to the lowest possible graphics settings and will leave online to see if this is a viable server option.

Worth noting from this then, that it seems the biggest dedicated server issue is purely isolated to the server monitor method of hosting, rather than the hosting itself, and thus could indeed be a bug with the server monitor application, rather than the Ylands.exe.

Any way to make it a simpler command prompt style server, rather than having a good looking UI for the dedicated server? The simplified version seems like a better option for server hosts, maybe possible for the future with Steam anyway.

Hope this info can speed up the hotfix for you guys!

*On a side note, the server (mutiplayer left online) seems to be eating up memory, it was on around 3-4GB used and has been steadily rising for the passed few hours, it is now on 5.5GB used, I think there could be an issue where memory is not being unloaded properly, might be worth looking in to as well.

Keep up the good work