Sign in to follow this  
h2stipandav

Does the world end at farlands?

Question

Has anyone tried to reach the farlands?
Does the game go all nutzsz like minecraft or is it able to generate solid voxels forever (until your HDD runs full)?
Could anyone test it out (I ain't got time for this)?
So here's a suggestion for a ships-based game:
7a30900a02e23d6610c5195d6c6c5251.jpg
(Yes I ripped it straight off net, please give all of your money to the real author.)

Edited by h2stipandav
  • Upvote 1

7 replies to this bug / suggestion

If you manage to reach the end of the world... let me know :P 

I sailed in one direction, not following any birds for about 5 - 10 minutes, then realised I had no map and was screwed! Spent 30 min sailing around like a lost, confused person, then came to the conclusion that if you don't follow a bird, all you're going to find is ocean! Are the islands all clumped together or what? Seemed like I had sailed away from the clump and had reached a vast empty-land without islands or any birds in sight!

Will have another go with a map!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, hermetics said:

I sailed in one direction, not following any birds for about 5 - 10 minutes, then realised I had no map and was screwed! Spent 30 min sailing around like a lost, confused person, then came to the conclusion that if you don't follow a bird, all you're going to find is ocean! Are the islands all clumped together or what? Seemed like I had sailed away from the clump and had reached a vast empty-land without islands or any birds in sight!

Will have another go with a map!

I'm curious to see how the bottom of the ocean looks after you go "off the map". Would we still be able to find stuff there and dig it up? Dig up massive amounts of sand just to create more islands? 

12 minutes ago, WijkagentAdrie said:

I'm curious to see how the bottom of the ocean looks after you go "off the map". Would we still be able to find stuff there and dig it up? Dig up massive amounts of sand just to create more islands? 

Funny enough, when I loaded back in to the game, I thought it had bugged out graphically all black, I then noticed the freezing cold warning pop up, and as the screen got lighter, I realised I was at the bottom of the ocean, still on my boat! It slowly rose to the surface, and I almost froze to death, but then it popped out at the surface and all was well! I think maybe this was something to do with exiting the game while still controlling the ships wheel.

I guess you could just build new islands, it was pretty darn deep though! If the oxygen was ticking down (which it wasn't), I would have surely drowned.

Edited by hermetics

Well, I started heading for the end of the world.
Today I got as far as about 30 pages of fully zoomed out map, it took me ~3h sailing with a small boat and I didn't reach the end of the world.
But I reached some points of interest and achieved some knowledge:

1) Water goes deep and cold.
2) Viewed from map, seafloor does seem to go somewhat farlandish (can't see a thing while diving)..
3) Tried to go North, but my small boat constantly tried to turn itself towards sunset - ended up going towards sunset instead.
   (at first I thought its buggy turning just a little left forever)
4) Used up ~1% of my food taken within inventory. (Didn't calculate.)
5) Atmosphere never went cold.
6) At some point near entering the really deep (ocean) waters, my screen started flickering black, but it stopped after giving map a look. (GFX memory?)
7) Later I experienced some game freezes (2-5 secs), but it was probably related to memory loading-unloading and/or terrain generation.
8) Saving the game took some time, I hope it worked :D

Nonetheless, at the current moment I can say my voyage went without any setbacks and I'm hoping to continue it in the near future..

As I know of no way to extract a map from a savegame, it will take me some time to photoshop the map all together and shrink it to any uploadable size.

Stock I took with me:

Ylands_170605_100607.thumb.png.d7d2c956bcc9b8415d2d05ed523f4b08.png

Farlandish seafloor (note the straight lines, far beyond the mountains in the pictures below)
Also here I stopped Pressing D to turn right to head straight to North, and my boat turned itself to North-West towards sunset:
farlandish.thumb.png.d5be1411ede3761e459a212acfc10445.png

Potential mountains to build an island (though the water is freezing and they're not very far from ylands, but still pretty deep, could barely see the tip when diving):
Ylands_170605_102927.thumb.png.5af023f09a777d48f88d8a1bb7d26e8b.png
Ylands_170605_102938.thumb.png.1a81b3f2f65ccd40a2d0f5aad657a017.png

(Sorry for exploiting that glitch)

My last stop [30 zoomed-out map-pages from ylands] (note: You can go South-West without the boat turning itself, but North? No.):
And there's still even the seafloor, as well as everything else :) (You can even hear owls and grasshoppers during the night)
Ylands_170606_120825.thumb.png.1644857222d7effd0c35b519a2be9f7a.png

...To be continued tomorrow or later this week. :)

Edited by h2stipandav
Reason for edit: autocorrect doesn't do everything :D
  • Upvote 2

Uhoh, Updated my game to 0.4 and got some farlands at the bottom of the sea as it generated new terrain:

Ylands_170608_192623.thumb.png.c47fab930eeed7c01afe9d2e8397c697.png

Meanwhile it got better
Ylands_170608_233028.thumb.png.69504adaec0d6cbcbdb2967036ed46aa.png

Now it's getting worse:
Ylands_170608_232656.thumb.png.9facc98f8fbfc2ae6f921222b560ef73.png

Edited by h2stipandav
  • Upvote 1

Map (Original is 47934 x 38667 pixels, made with my 1080p resolution, but I can't upload it to anywhere):
At the current moment, map seems to be generating forever, but I've noticed some repetitions in seafloor. (see my post above for e.g.)
I don't think I will continue this journey, but if someone is willing to do so, I'll share the savefile. Also I could share the full map.

Still no sign of the edge of the world. (although there is a glitch with graphics: Sun seems to shrink and gain in rapid pulsations, which makes all shadows flicker, maybe I'll post a video later)

59418db4703c8_Suurkaartthumbnail.thumb.png.1273d2640fb2adf52a21afb8a57765a9.png

At the bottom right corner you can see all of my Ylands, after those are some bumps around submerged mountains, then I took a left turn, since I got tired of pressing "D" twice every second. Later I tested boat turning physics.

Edited by h2stipandav