Dr. Tinycat

RESOLVED Graphics will not load [SOLVED]

Question

Hello, I purchased today (28/5/2017) a copy of Ylands. I have installed it and when i tried to run it the graphics are not loading properly. Firstly i have a black background in the menu screen. Then when i tried to load a new game i could see the loading text but there were no backgrolund. When the loading was complete the game seemed to run (could hear ambient and interactive sounds) but i had a black screen. All I could see was the pop up text over usable items. I didn't give up. Fiddled with the graphics settings a bit and the best i could come up with was version that everything seemed as the gamma was set to maximum (white sky, no water, bright yellow ground). My PC specs are the following: AMD Phenom II x4 955 3.21 GHz,
8 GB DDR3 1600, Radeon R7 360 2GB GDDR5, Windows 7 64bit, Crosshair III Formula. Please note that i have and run Arma 3 in above average settings pretty smoothly. Is there something that i can do to run Ylands in an enjoyable level? If not, can i have a refund? I'm very pleased both with Bohemia Interactive (Arma 3, DayZ) and Bohemia Incubator (Project Argo). Please help! 

15 replies to this bug / suggestion

46 minutes ago, Dr. Tinycat said:

Hello, I purchased today (28/5/2017) a copy of Ylands. I have installed it and when i tried to run it the graphics are not loading properly. Firstly i have a black background in the menu screen. Then when i tried to load a new game i could see the loading text but there were no backgrolund. When the loading was complete the game seemed to run (could hear ambient and interactive sounds) but i had a black screen. All I could see was the pop up text over usable items. I didn't give up. Fiddled with the graphics settings a bit and the best i could come up with was version that everything seemed as the gamma was set to maximum (white sky, no water, bright yellow ground). My PC specs are the following: AMD Phenom II x4 955 3.21 GHz,
8 GB DDR3 1600, Radeon R7 360 2GB GDDR5, Windows 7 64bit, Crosshair III Formula. Please note that i have and run Arma 3 in above average settings pretty smoothly. Is there something that i can do to run Ylands in an enjoyable level? If not, can i have a refund? I'm very pleased both with Bohemia Interactive (Arma 3, DayZ) and Bohemia Incubator (Project Argo). Please help! 

Quick question, latest graphics drivers etc for your R7?

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Dr. Tinycat said:

Seems that i run on DX 11. Any help on fixing that? 

dxdiag.jpg

I use a program called Driver Booster, which is free to trial from their website (update 15 devices / drivers for free), and which free promotional codes to upgrade it to the Pro version are regularly posted to YouTube videos, just search for Driver Booster Key on there for one. The advantage is it can always check for latest drivers for all devices and includes checking for dependencies, including DirectX patches that may other wise be an issue to find (on windows 7), as DirectX 11.1 is supported only for Windows 8 and above, and only patches exist to provide Windows 7 with these features as a backwards compatibility. This always saves me a lot of time when setting up a new device, or cleaning out an old one etc. I've been using the aforementioned program for several years now without issue as well. Else, you could search for the Windows 7, DirectX 11.1 patches and do this manually. Upon scanning your system with a driver assitance program however, you will likely notice a large amount of your Windows 7 drivers, are long since out-dated. I too use Windows 7 64x Ultimate, and have no issues running Ylands. Further, in my DxDiag, it purports that I am using DirectX version 11, not 11.1, so it seems likely as a missing dependency or outdated system driver, or it just shows version 11 when it could mean version 11.1 as well.

Edited by hermetics
  • Upvote 1

Well, I've been trying to update DX11.1 via Driver Booster. So far I've managed to update every other outdated driver (which is nice, thanx @hermetics) but the DirectX Patch gets stuck at , guess what, 99% for more that half an hour. It would be easier to upgrade my OS. Tried doing windows updates (as @h2stipandav suggested) but i think that Microsoft support database must be offline for Win7 by now... By the way, i get the exact same initial problem h2stipandav got on his post. Really want to play this game. Hope i didn't waste my money... (sorry for bringing up the money issue)

No, I still get updates for win7. (As you can see I updated my pc from blank to updated not so long ago, and just a few days ago I got a new one too[new ones are probably only security])

If you're having trouble with automatic updates searching for updates forever(and not finding any), you should manually download and install those two updates I mentioned (and linked) in my post 3. Altough I have no idea, how updated your OS is.

and just to note, my DirectX is 11 (I haven't added any .1 patch, atleast not manually)

Edited by h2stipandav
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Dr. Tinycat said:

Well, I've been trying to update DX11.1 via Driver Booster. So far I've managed to update every other outdated driver (which is nice, thanx @hermetics) but the DirectX Patch gets stuck at , guess what, 99% for more that half an hour. It would be easier to upgrade my OS. Tried doing windows updates (as @h2stipandav suggested) but i think that Microsoft support database must be offline for Win7 by now... By the way, i get the exact same initial problem h2stipandav got on his post. Really want to play this game. Hope i didn't waste my money... (sorry for bringing up the money issue)

Might be a silly question, but have you tried to reboot your PC and update the DX patch again? Sometimes, it just needs a reboot before it can work itself out. And yes, Win updates are practically discontinued for Windows 7 (loads for an eternity with no action), there is some manual options for installing windows updates however. I'd say just try the reboot method above if you haven't already.

Edited by hermetics
  • Upvote 1

Discontiniued means, they are no longer developing any NEW updates besides security updates (to keep our networks secure and for viruses harder to spread) and quality rollups but you still can download ALL updates released via the automatic updates.

Recently I was even able to download some driver files via Microsoft's "find drivers online" for windows XP!

The problem is - when people (re)install their windows7, automatic updates wont work, because it is buggedbroken. (But it can and should be fixed unless you WannaCry or something else)

(trust me, I had a 4-month fulltime  IT course focusing on win7 support)

Edit: when your automatic updates works correctly you should still see alot of optional updates (langage packs) even if your system is up to date.

Edited by h2stipandav
  • Upvote 1

So, windows updates are "broken" on a fresh install of windows 7, and you need a windows update, to fix the windows updates, to get windows updates? Microsoft style for you... I'd just go about it without following along with Microsoft's idea of a good idea. I.E manually and without their broken system if able.

Further, windows 8 / 8.1 is junk, and windows 10 is to let Microsoft move in to your PC, as a dictatorship... no thank you! If they follow this current path, I'll just end up full time on Linux!

• Upvote 1

You are correct and I totally agree, Windows(7) is a buggy thing turning to a annoying thing (8+):). My personal favorite is still XP, but there's nothing to do with it anymore.

I guess it won't be bad to re-explain how I got rid of this bug here, once again:

First I'd have to note, that I had the same exact bug, DirectX 11 ((still) not .1), updated drivers and PC capable running Ylands smoothly, but I had NO Windows Updates, as it was a fresh install of Win7.
I tested my graphics card in another PC, and it lagged hard, but rendered correctly, so I assumed the bug lied within Windows Updates, and I was Correct. But a fresh install of Win7 comes with Automatic Updates, that will search for updates for ever and will never find any. Automatic Updates on fresh install are simply broken. But there's a fix to it:

To get your Automated Updates working you'll need to disable your Automatic Updates and manually download and install 2 updates (links to Microsoft knowledgebase, you will find download links there):

First: KB3020369 and then: KB3161608

Those two will make Automatic Updates work properly, but will NOT fix Ylands. (link to third party website)

Please do note, that they are seamingly absolutely not related to Automatic Updates, since they are patched versions of older updates fixing other things. If I remember correctly, the issue lied within a single broken .dll file, which gets replaced with the second(?) update. And the second one needed the first update to be applied correctly or something? You can read it from the link above, though the text is pretty complicated.

Ylands was FIXED by one (or more?) of the 144 IMPORTANT updates that Automatic Updates offered me to install the following day.

(Sadly, I didn't install them in smaller groups, the only one I Skipped of 145 available was "Malicious software removal tool")

Also during that following day, I activated my copy of Windows. (but I don't believe it could have affected solving the problem)

Then I tested Ylands and voila, it ran perfectly.

If anyone needs any help with fixing your automatic updates, please send me a personal message, I'd gladly help.
(Also I'd like to note that there are several other reasons to update your PC, not just Ylands.)

Edited by h2stipandav
Reason for edit: love for human kind.
  • Upvote 1

SOLVED

Firstly I would like to thank everyone who rushed to help me! Tried to fiddle with updates but the "man hours" needed for that wouldn't "pay" eventualy so i skipped to the end solution. Installed Windows 10.
Pros: Game runs smoothly 
Cons: Windows 10

Again, thank you very much @hermetics, @h2stipandav and the Ylands team's @Houp for your support.
Best regards! 

Edited by Dr. Tinycat
  • Upvote 1

/vent[start]

PS: Now that i've upgraded to Win10 to be able to enjoy some Ylands I got forbidden from enjoying DayZ! Probably the same but reverse reason i couldn't play Ylands. DIRECT-FRIGGIN-X. 

/vent[end]
(looking at you Bohemia)