AlchemistDagger

show map in editor

Question

hi,  I have been working in the editor and when flying from island to island, I got lost a few time.  Being able to pull up a map like in the live game would really help out in the editor.  Plus, it would be even better if the map showed all the islands with out the fog of war (i.e. show all unexplored areas).

Another idea for the map in the live game is to have it switch to a map of the tunnels when you go underground.

• Upvote 1

18 replies to this bug / suggestion

@AlchemistDaggerI kinda feel the same, got a few time lost in editor while working on a map!

I helped myself out with a little trick, in "Generate New Terrain" -> "Refresh Preview" i generated the mini map, then (am on windows here) i hit alt+print, then into paint/photoshop, there ctrl+v to paste, then cut out the minimap and resize it to 500% and voila i had some kind of a map. It's maybe not the best resolution, but at least i can compare the coastline from the map in editor with the map i made. Then in editor i made on every yland a "Label" and named it yland 1, yland 2 and so far, now i can "fasttravel" between the ylands by rightclick on the label and "Go Here".

My Map :D

~Chris~

map_trop_x.thumb.png.7181b2eb372df2fd2ce9649391474d21.png

*Btw I had to change my name from ~Chris~ to another one, cuz bohemia made for a while some changes and not longer allowing the ~ in my name and i had a lot of problems in the ac section. Just saying.

Edited by Anon_Ymous
  • Like 1

Good idea! We'll make sure to add a map in the Editor in one of the future updates :) 

• Thanks 3

Necro time,  how would anyone edit other Ylands with out being able to find them? This should be a "Mandatory feature" in the editor.  Along with "Move to Current Char Location".  Thx guys keep up the good work.

On 12/26/2017 at 6:35 PM, arkaeldren said:

Necro time,  how would anyone edit other Ylands with out being able to find them? This should be a "Mandatory feature" in the editor.  Along with "Move to Current Char Location".  Thx guys keep up the good work.

save locations to quickly zoom to them is also needed, finding a certain location in the editor with max size is near impossible, so for now i use spawn locations as markers and i name them cave 1 ect ,once you are done with the map editor you can sinply remove the spawn locations 

This is a supper idea It would help with editing the maps much more easier... Nice one as I was going to say about this but seen it was already posted... :)

Necro x2
Can we get this done sooner than later plz.
Ane said in June it would be in a future update and its 2018 now.. 

The navigation/compass star (sorry I can not find the correct word in english) would be nice to have in the editor as an option hide/unhide.

Edited by Maqqea

So regarding the map in the Editor... I just asked again and currently it is not planned, not until Ylands 1.0.

Can compass at least be there, @Ane? I mean since the time is freeze, sun not moving. We lost our sense of direction there.

Edited by Velocifer
  • Upvote 1

Hi, maybe this can help to navigate you when working with your Games. (I know, it does not help when editing your save game)

go here.PNG

Regard the compass. There will be "scene gizmo" known from other editors. Something like:

axiscross.PNG

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Houp said:

Hi, maybe this can help to navigate you when working with your Games. (I know, it does not help when editing your save game)

I did like you suggested(with "GO HERE" I can teleport to that spawn point, or game logics). If there is nearby yland, you can easily place the spawn point/game logics at first time. But if your ylands is separate far away(out of line of sight(render distance)), you need extra work and check the shape of your first spawn island.

Atleast if you really at nowhere you can use what @Houp suggested. thanks

Edited by Velocifer

1 hour ago, Ane said:

So regarding the map in the Editor... I just asked again and currently it is not planned, not until Ylands 1.0.

Can we get a compass then? I've had to load our multiplayer world up a few times in the editor due to bugs and trying to locate our ship at sea can be quite the task. Getting very good at the compass seeing as maps don't work in multiplayer. :) 

18 minutes ago, Bigglermon said:

Can we get a compass then? I've had to load our multiplayer world up a few times in the editor due to bugs and trying to locate our ship at sea can be quite the task. Getting very good at the compass seeing as maps don't work in multiplayer. :) 

@Houp answered this just a bit above :) (in case you've missed it).

On 12/26/2017 at 7:35 PM, arkaeldren said:

20180130161620_1.jpg

In the works. Probably in 0.7

• Like 1

Just now, Houp said:

In the works. Probably in 0.7

Welldone! awesome work! Only 1 question from me, is it will show all of players location? because as an admin, it's better if you can jump directly to specific player that might be get a trouble like stuck/error for example.

21 minutes ago, Velocifer said:

Welldone! awesome work! Only 1 question from me, is it will show all of players location?

Not at this point. (at least not in next update). There can be potentially many players and one drop down could get crowded. But sure, there should be list of all players in a map somewhere. I agree with you.

1 minute ago, Houp said:

There can be potentially many players and one drop down could get crowded.

Alright, atleast we have list of ylands in near future. Yes you're right, servers mostly have 50+ population of players, with drop down menu that's not good idea. :D

On 1/24/2018 at 3:13 AM, Dr. Chay said:

@AlchemistDaggerI kinda feel the same, got a few time lost in editor while working on a map!

I helped myself out with a little trick, in "Generate New Terrain" -> "Refresh Preview" i generated the mini map, then (am on windows here) i hit alt+print, then into paint/photoshop, there ctrl+v to paste, then cut out the minimap and resize it to 500% and voila i had some kind of a map. It's maybe not the best resolution, but at least i can compare the coastline from the map in editor with the map i made. Then in editor i made on every yland a "Label" and named it yland 1, yland 2 and so far, now i can "fasttravel" between the ylands by rightclick on the label and "Go Here".

My Map :D

~Chris~

map_trop_x.thumb.png.7181b2eb372df2fd2ce9649391474d21.png

*Btw I had to change my name from ~Chris~ to another one, cuz bohemia made for a while some changes and not longer allowing the ~ in my name and i had a lot of problems in the ac section. Just saying.

Hiya!!   Will you tell me how to find the 'generate new terrain' option?  Cant seem to find it... LOL