Aleš Ulm

Dev Diary #8

Hi there, fellow ylanders.

This post is going to be a tiny bit longer than usual, but it‘s quite important that you read it.

First, let me tell you what is it that we've been working on so hard for the last several weeks. There are two awesome new features that will be coming out in 0.5, but we actually had to have them in the presentable state way sooner than that. Why? Well... because we need to show them in a video. In a very special video. In a really cool new Ylands trailer. 

With the trailer being finished the only question is when do we show it to the general public. What about E3? No, wait - what about one of the most important PC gaming events of the year, the famous E3 PC Gaming Show? Yes, exactly, that one! We are SO excited about being part of this show; about having the privilege of talking about the game and showing the trailer to around 1 million live viewers!

If you get the chance to watch that (for more information see http://www.pcgamingshow.com) you will get to see the two new 0.5 features in the trailer, and then let us know in here how you liked them!

pcgamer2.jpg

PC Gaming Show & Ylands. Monday, June 12 @ 10 AM PDT. Soooo excited! 

Now let's move to another pressing topic at hand. Some of you have asked, "when does Ylands enter Steam", so let me tell you what we‘re going to tell anyone at E3:

Ylands is coming to Steam later this year. 

We used to say "summer" - so why now, instead of giving you a solid date, we're coming up with an even more vague time frame?

Because we‘ll be coming to Steam a couple of months later than expected. The truth is that right now our team is growing real fast and we have enough resources to address most of what you were asking for/unhappy about in our forums before we get there. Some might say that since we‘ll be entering Steam Early Access things don‘t have to be perfect - and they would be right. But Early Access or not, we want to get there all shiny - and that we will :)

Now you may think "I was looking forward to playing Ylands on Steam soon and now I get to discover that my favorite devs have promised something they can't deliver. What a shame..."

Come on, it‘s still us, your Team Ylands! Ok, you know what? Since you are our favorite players and because we like to keep our word, we‘ll do our best so that you can play the game on Steam even before it‘s officially released there. How about that? ;)

Seriously though - I don‘t want this to sound like we‘re doing you a favor because it does come at a cost and it‘s only fair to say it as loud and clear as possible. Not only we‘ll let you play the game on Steam; we NEED you to do that... because in the end, we decided to keep only one version alive - the Steam version. The launcher will cease to exist, and playing Ylands outside Steam won‘t be possible. 

steam.png

Hm. Did we want to have Ylands on Steam or Steam in Ylands? Not really sure right now...

So what happens next?

In the upcoming weeks, we‘ll start sending out Ylands Steam keys to our players (if you bought the game you don‘t need to do anything to get it). As soon as you get one you will be able to play the game on Steam regardless of whether it has been released (yes, that does make you special in a way). You will still be able to play the game outside Steam through our launcher until we terminate it, which will happen in less than two moths (we will provide you with the exact date later). From that moment you will be able to play via Steam only.

We understand that you bought the game outside of Steam. So far we haven‘t met anyone who would have a major problem with moving over to Steam, but it‘s possible there are some among you. We are sorry, but we can‘t fully support the game both on and out of Steam (I won‘t explain into detail why here, but I can discuss that elsewhere if anyone‘s interested). So if you‘re one of those who‘d rather not use Steam at all contact us and you will have the full price of the game refunded.

We will be announcing it on others occasions, and at some point,  you will get to see it mentioned in the game as well. Please feel free to ask about anything that is not clear or needs to be explained in detail... or just tell us what you think, because we want to know.

That's all and so till we meet again - you take care, ylanders, and stay classy!

• Upvote 2

Great to hear this! Enjoy at E3 :) When will we be able to see the video? Is it the time/date in the picture? Also, a Steam release date changes absolutely nothing to me, we can play without it and the later the better as it means people will have a better experience and thus will bring more players to the game  :) 

Adrie

• Upvote 1

We're not really sure about when we're going to be presented during the show yet - we'll let you know as soon as we find out :)

Ha great news! Can't wait to see the new trailers! That would also mean that we might be getting a large boost in the players/users on the forums and in game.  #GoodNews

And for the team in and around LA: Enjoy the stay! I am sure @Korneel will know some nice things to do and see ;)

• Upvote 1

These are some really good news! I can't wait to see those two new things you are so excited about. :D 

(Programmable robots maybe? xD)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

:D There are still some things the game's missing that we have to implement before we'll get to robots, but don't worry, we'll get there.

To make it easier for you I can say that you will get to see the first new feature the very moment the trailer starts while the other one is showed at very the end of it - but this is really as much as I can say right now. Don't forget to watch the show to find out more! ;) (The trailer will become available soon after the show via various social channels as well so don't worry if you don't get to see it live :) )

• Upvote 3

Awesome! Cant wait to see the new video tomorrow and I'm glad I discovered this game. Been playing a few days now and it's a complete blast. Also on a side note do you guys plan on creating an official discord server? @Aleš Ulm

edit: also will people be able to purchase the game up until the steam launch date or will there be a cut off? I have a few friends who are considering getting it but will the steam version be the same price or more?

Edited by Turner_

Everyone can purchase the game at the current price through our store until the game is launched on Steam (Early Access). At that point, we're planning to raise the price to $15. After we exit Early Access stage, the final price should be $20.

As for the official Discord server: We have yet to discuss that - we will let you know at a later date

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Aleš Ulm said:

Everyone can purchase the game at the current price through our store until the game is launched on Steam (Early Access). At that point, we're planning to raise the price to $15. After we exit Early Access stage, the final price should be $20.

As for the official Discord server: We have yet to discuss that - we will let you know at a later date

Ok thank you!

I've seen the new cars! And are we gonna get weather/storms? :D 

Also, the cars give the impression they might be modular, like the ships.

Edited by WijkagentAdrie
  • Upvote 1

Great trailer! the new features are looking amazing :) cant wait till a storm hits my Yland or to be driving around in a car ;)  

• Upvote 1

I'm glad you guys liked it ;) 

For your information (hey, you'll be the first one to know this! :) ) the upcoming update's real names is Rainy Roads. It, indeed, brings weather and cars and just like you guessed - the cars will be modular so you will get to build a car of your dreams (or a house to drive around :) ).

• Upvote 1

And as for animations - yes, the animation system is getting completely reworked (along with the camera controls - but we'll talk about these things at a later date) so that all animations are more fluid and natural. Nothing in the trailer is fake :) - it was captured by using the real assets and data available in the game (although some, like the animation of the character pushing the lever, are not currently activated).

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the responses Ales! It was nice to see you on the stream :) A few more questions: what fuel will the cars use? Will we have to refine our own oil? Also, will those engines be usable on ships as well?

Adrie

Well, thanks for watching! :D I'm pretty sure we'll write a Sneak Peek about that the next week (after we return home) -  this week there will be only a short Dev Diary about E3 with some photos.

It was kinda short to my feeling, but the impression was 200% it was short but the msg got trew, reactions were (besides the banter about some other BI games) positive! Compliments for your 5 minutes of fame! It made a very good impression :)

Edited by A3_Melle
  • Upvote 1

I wish there will be another way to obtain steam key than e-mail. I mean, e-mails can get lost so IMO it should be available in your account or on Ylands' bohemia store page (if you bought it there). I haven't got the key. Not sure if you've sent those yet, but if you did, it probably got into spam or whatever.

We still haven't sent out the keys and we still haven't specified the details about how we'll be doing so - we'll provide more information when we're closer to the date. And don't worry, we'll notify everyone :)