Aleš Ulm

Sneak Peek #34

Hey there, fellow ylanders!

With E3 behind us, we are once again putting all our efforts into the next update 0.5 named "Rainy Roads." Our testers have been driving the cars through various ylands for some time but what remains to be finalized and polished are the motors (currently the cars are propelled with something generic that doesn't consume any fuel :)).

If nothing unforeseen happens before the launch of the next update, we'd like to have two types of engines ready to be placed on your cars (yes, car customization works similar to the one for ships - you build a chassis and then you place objects on top of it - if you want it to look like a car, fine - and if not, fine as well). Those will be ylandium and steam engines. The former will be powered by (here comes the surprise) ylandium, while the latter with coal.

The good news is that you will be able to put those even on ships, so whenever the treacherous wind changes the direction, you will simply start the engine, lower the sails and here you go, full speed against the wind.

Ylands_170623_165158.png

It's getting dark and the rain has just put out your torch. One has got to love all the new features, right? :) 

Also, with the weather being implemented, we're making sure that rain puts out campfires (stronger rains put out even torches). Also, for things to become more real, even burning objects that you try to "hide" in your inventory won't be spared :). At the same time, in 0.5, after you go swimming, your torch won't be lit automatically after you leave the water, so you better make sure you have some flint with you all the time! :)

So these are just some of the things we're working on right now, and since there's still a lot of new stuff in "Rainy Roads" to be discussed, we'll continue the next week. Until then - you have a great time, ylanders, and stay classy!

• Upvote 5

Sweet, was gonna ask for implementation of water vs fire but good to see it's there! :) Also, when going against the wind I think you would rather lower your sails instead of raise them ;) 

• Upvote 1

I see that it will be first steam in the Ylands rather than Ylands on the Steam. :P By the way, my comment about engines was more accurate that I would have thought: xD

"I recently built a ship so I know how slooow these things are. xD So I like the idea of having some engine. I don't know if it would be a coal engine (but just imagine the steampunk and Ylands combined. That would be awesome!) but I'm looking forward to see the different car parts, so we may learn there something about the motorized future of this game. :)"

Edited by Miguel Preguisa
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

@WijkagentAdrie Gosh, you're right! I guess a whole day spent moving to a new office and making sure everything worked again has taken some toll on my mental abilities :D It's fixed now - thanks! :)

1 minute ago, Aleš Ulm said:

@Miguel Preguisa Well, you've been with us for a long time now, so it seems you know what to expect! :) 

Just like with sails, will it be the more motors on a ship/car the faster? Will weight come into play as well? And more engines should mean more fuel consumption ofcourse :) 

Adrie

Actually, those are things that we're testing right now - we'll let you know as soon as we're sure how is the finalized feature going to work.

Will the rain also affect the "person", wenn you get wet during night and don't have a shelter you cool down faster and so on? 

And can't wait to see what cars we will be seeing in screenshots :P 

18 hours ago, A3_Melle said:

Will the rain also affect the "person", wenn you get wet during night and don't have a shelter you cool down faster and so on?

For now the rain will only have an effect on the temperature (as in, whenever it rains, it'll get colder), not on the character.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Ane said:

For now the rain will only have an effect on the temperature (as in, whenever it rains, it'll get colder), not on the character.

If it would simply prevent your character from sleeping, it would be awesome. There would be a reason to build a roof :) Also I would be delighted to walk around with an umbrella.

Edited by no.way
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, no.way said:

If it would simply prevent your character from sleeping, it would be awesome. There would be a reason to build a roof :) Also I would be delighted to walk around with an umbrella.

That's a great idea.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, no.way said:

If it would simply prevent your character from sleeping, it would be awesome. There would be a reason to build a roof :)

We discussed this and we think it's a very good idea, so thank you for the suggestion! :)