Lukeocyte

Recipes & infinite maps

Hey guys,

Love the game so far. It has an awesome style, great concepts, and loads of content so far. I had a couple of questions about potential future features.

- Are you planning on implementing infinite maps that expand as you explore? Or some way of teleporting to new maps?

- Are you planning on adding a way to customize how new recipes are learned? ie. instead of learning the recipe when the required base materials are acquired you need to complete a quest or obtain a recipe book.

Again, loving the game even in the alpha stage and looking forward to what you guys have in store for the future.

In regards to the infinite maps, I got a reply that sorta answers that question that give you a sort of idea about their goal in that regards.

On 08/02/2016 at 3:54 PM, Aleš Ulm said:

As for mixed biomes - having a really large world containing various biomes (basically an Earth-like planet) is where we would love to get one day but, to be honest, it is not an easy task (first we need to optimize Ylands a lot) ...

But yeah having Much large worlds would be awesome as the last play threw with a group of friends of mine once we had the small boats we quickly came across all the islands. Need to-do another play threw with them to test out how it is currently although I imagine we will probably wait for the rainy roads update as I imagine my Dutch friend will probably want to attempt to make some kinda Car/Boat hybrid since he's obsessed with ships although I doubt it's possible but I'm sure he will find some way XD.

14 hours ago, Lukeocyte said:

- Are you planning on adding a way to customize how new recipes are learned? ie. instead of learning the recipe when the required base materials are acquired you need to complete a quest or obtain a recipe book.

Not sure how this would work, The problem being that the way recipe unlocking works currently is in such a way that it is progression based, IE you need to go from A too G to get to H if you get what I mean.
I guess for custom maps this could be a good idea but they would still need to know how to make A too G to make H, you could do this currently in a custom map with containers and keys with each container containing those materials requires some extra effort but get the same result but I guess a recipe page/book could be quiet a nice quick way of doing such a thing.

Yeah I hit the same issues. Once we had a boat we were able to explore essentially everything at once, but once we had done that the game slowed down quite a lot. We started making new stuff, but the idea of exploration was essentially gone in the game, which is one of the things I love with survival/crafting games. If world size becomes an issue would it not be possible to allow some kind of teleportation method that map makers/server owners could use to link maps together. So for example let's say you explore all 5 islands and build a an awesome base there, you could then generate a second map and link to it with a gate/teleportation device. I guess this is essentially Bukkit's Multiworld plugin for any who are familiar.

For the recipe part I guess I like the idea of having certain items only being craftable after you've done a quest or found a unique recipe book. So for example you could initially only advance through basic stone tools etc. but iron tools/weapons the recipes must be found in chests in randomly generated dungeons or dungeons made by the map maker/server owner. This would create a sense of progression and encourage players to explore more. To be clear, I'm not advocating this as the standard rule, but just wanted it to be open to being moddable for those that want to use it in their maps.

I guess both of these fit together in a theme of progression. Imagine your first island you can make only standard stone tools and a simple boat which allows to travel to the next island where you have access to dungeons that give you recipes for iron tools, and the next island maybe a town with NPCs the map maker has made that sells ylandium recipes etc.

Ah, I see were you going now with the recipe's, So essentially being able to modify recipe's, as well as offering an alternative way to unlocking recipe's. That could open up allot off potential in for game-mode creation for example a hardcore gamemode were things cost more to make ect. I like :P

I would even like to find some "blueprints" in the Explore scenario. So you can craft rare items. :D I definitely like the idea of some recipe books (Minecraft made something like that possible recently) for adventure maps or thematic servers. :)