canadeonbacon

PLEASE HELP!

Question

I have posted for help here before but didn't receive any. My game crashes sooo much that i can barely play! I havent played in a few days because i got so fed up. So today i start it up just for it to crash as soon as my save loads. Its also not just my current save, i have started many new games and it still does it. There doesnt seem to be any connection to a specific action or anything. It will literally crash with me just standing there. I also cant exit my game normally or even go to the main menu without crashing. It either crashes my entire computer requiring a restart, or it will just crash the game and give me the message to send the folder to the game devs. I love this game so much and am trying to have as much patience as possible but this is really getting silly. I can attach all the crash folders you need. i have tons! I will start with a couple plus the dxdiag. Any advise or insight is appreciated. Thank you!

DxDiag.txt

error.log

output_log.txt

error.log

output_log.txt

error.log

output_log.txt

• Upvote 1

13 replies to this bug / suggestion

I am not a  dev,  or an  expert on   computers  but  it looks to me that  your   Radeon 470 graphics  card  does not have the  capacity or  grunt to load or  run the graphics  required by Ylands.

I ruin a Nvida gtx 750 with  2 gig   capacity and its sufficient -  but   only  just  .. i  do get occasional  lag spikes.   Your  AMD Radeon  has only  4040 mb  available .

But again,  i am no expert... perhaps  the   devs  or Ane  can  confirm or add to this.

By the  way , i am not against  AMD cards...  i  used to have one fitted to my current  computer and it was great ... however after a motherboard  meltdown from a failed cooling device, i fitted  a Replacement board with a Nvidia card included in the   buying  bundle

Are you serious? :( I dont know much about computers but this one was built custom for me for my games. I spent a ton of money on it. Did i get ripped off? 

@ Canadeonbacon... the graphics thing is   from my observation, but as i stated,  i am NOT an  expert, and maybe  Ane  or a dev could shed some more light. from what Myself and a friend  "think" is that somehow  your graphics are not being loaded.  It could be a setting  or  something else. The Devs will know better. 

But  from  experience  with  radeon cards is  that on some other games i got  funny results initially because of  old  or  incorrectly  loaded  drivers.  Check for an updated  driver... 

Peace;)  ..i am trying to help  for  what my  2  cents  is  worth.  And I hope the issue is solved as Ylands is a great game worth the  time playing it..

Edited by kimbuck

Before I will try to help you and list everything I did, I must state that Ylands is still crashing on me and as far as I know these situations are well known (my problems I will list in post below). 
So, after my long war with performance and crashes I managed to make Ylands playable, but still:

1) Game crashes on exit - every time I'm leaving main menu.

2) Game is saving forever, when I'm trying to "return to main menu" (rarely it works - maybe once a 5 times?).

3) Game crashes constantly (this is the end - game is unplayable anymore then)  if I explore more than 5-6 Ylands (around 100 hours of gameplay) or roughly when I have main bigger base, few cabins here and there and a ship.

4) Game crashes when "spikes" (game freezes) for longer than 30 seconds - 2 minutes (sometimes it's possible to "wake up the game if you ALT-TAB to Desktop and then wait and then open Ylands window with mouse - but it works only before you've got Win error).

5) Game FPS drops below TRAGIC everytime I'm moving to new area or area I'm not using all the time (my base, fields around my base and few hundreds meters around my main base - IF.., IF the weather is ok - is it's raining or it's snow storm - I cannot move, if I do, or worse - if I run into wild - game will drop to 5-10 FPS and soon will crash).

These are my Ylands problems I cannot repair and I have no clue what to do. There was much, much worse, however, please, read my post below this one. I hope it will help some people.

• Upvote 1

ComR...sounds alot like my issues. What did you do to get your game playable atleast? A week ago i was able to play some here and there...like i could go like an hour playing without a crash...befor that it was crashing every 15 min or so. Now its crashing as soon as my save loads. My main save has all the ylands discovered and im working on my base. I started a new game and was able to play without a crash up until i got iron...it seems ever since i got the iron on the new save, it just crashes as it loads also now. 

Hi,

This will be long monologue, history of my fighting with Ylands to make it playable... to some extend. Unfortunatelly it's still impossible to play if I make one step further:

Ylands from the start was nice to me - I was used to 30 FPS games, my system is old:

AMD Phenom II x4 965,  3.40 GHz, 8 GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6850 (1GB VRAM) (monitor native resolution I'm using is 2048-1152). One, small SSD HD for the system: 120 GB. My system is WIn7 Pro, all latest patches (please, take in mind that Micro.sh...  (Małymiękki - exact polish translation - VERY accurate) is not working on Win7 anymore, so you have to look for latest patches for yourselves, some updates are still labelled as updates - some are not). I have no idea if it changes anything, but I do not want Win10 and Microsoft forcing me to buy new system every 2 years (especially that it's extremely expensive and free systems are there and free at all - Mircrosoft have much to learn and I hope their greed will drive them to the bankruptcy at last). But, let's back to theme:

As far as I realised, people with latest systems and hardware sometimes have the same performance problems as I had:
-At the beginning of the game I had ~30 FPS (no mater Ultra or Low settings) and then, day by day my FPS was lower, lower and lower and spikes (game freezing from time to time. At start once a minute for a second or so, then few seconds, then few times a minute for a few seconds, then, every minute I had "spikes" up to 2 minutes long. Spikes werelonger and longer, more and more often and then game froze forever.

After few days of gaming, game was unplayable - game crashed after few seconds after loading last game.

I was reading everything I could about Ylands and I reported my problems to the forum we see... I'm sorry, Devs, I have to write it - I understand it's not easy and it's not your fault, but we are here to help eachother and help developers to, by showing them what's wrong, right?

So, I wrote all my problems in this forum - everything I got was: "start Steam and Ylands as Admin, clear all ini's and Win registry". I guess it can help - but in my case it helped nothing. So, I started from the beginning:

1) Check your system with as many antiviruses, anti spyware, anti worm software as you can. Remove all threats. (Devs, Admins, please, do not block/remove the software I'm listing, I was using many, but only one did it properly! They deserve to be mentioned). Malewarebytes (really, no other, even most known software companies where not able to help me - no, I'm not paid or connected to this firm) provide free software that removed most of my Adwares and Worms! I were using ALL well known software - not even close! Malewarebytes have a serie of software, I reccomend you to use all free ones, but also read and use software wich is not commercial, command line, but... works! 

You can make it manually or any way you want - but, remove all adware, viruses and worms - also and above all - from your registry. This will be pain, but you have to do it. There is NO ONE BUTTON SOFT, so, you have to read and work on it.

Then... Update your system - With Win10 you should have no problems, but with Win7 - sorry, you have to manually install some installers to install... third party drivers... I'm not sure if it's worth it, but do it. I see not big difference in Ylands, but Watchdogs and GTA V works literally TWICE AS FAST! (yes, if you know how to configure BIOS - I cannot help you - if you have PC, you should know how to operate the system... Sorry)

Worst thing and most annoying... I tried to receive Ylands Devs answer, but... I usually write too much - I received nothing: 
I saw few times: "Ylands works only with Direct X 11.1". Problem is, Windows 7 do NOT SUPPORT DX 11.1!!! WIN7 works only with DX 11.0 and... it "can work" with few "not very official" additions (partially adopted by Win7 semi-drivers).. I have no idea... I found somewhere command line for Ylands: "-DX11". I have no idea where was it.., but I added it to ylands.exe command line. 

And, I think it's not the biggest problem, but I set my Radeon to "performance", everything's off (let the application choose).  Vsync off.

I set Ylands to LOW. Dynamic weather off, dynamic flora on, Vsync ON (Radeon setinng Vsync is ON) - Ylands cap is set to 30, but... I still have Vsync Off... and it's still around 60 FPS when I'm not doing too much... Something is wrong, but Vsync is clrearly off. Game is playable and it's dropping to 20 FPS  or less when it's raining or storm  is here. When I'm eploring new lands (even when I'm sailing (I guess game is rendering underwater terrain) FPS drops to 20 FPS, but if it's storm here - game drops to max 10 FPS.

If you try tu run in new terrain, even terrain you know, but you're back from an adventure... and animal will attack you or your ship or big base is there - Ylands crashes on me.

2) In my case moving Ylands and Ylands Savegame (as I can tell - moving savegame file changed everything) (so, moving Steam in this case) to ma fastest HDD - in my case old, but old, but SSD - I was using it only for system, but moving Ylands to SSDmade my average 15FPS to 40FPS...

All The Best,

Bartosz

• Upvote 1

Ok so i have just done some experimenting with my old computer. I am now thinking the problem lies with Windows10 or something. My older computer is windows 7 and obvisously an older graphics driver. I just installed ylands on it and sttempted to play. So as soon as the game starts up it was really skippy and took a little while to load my main save, BUT it did load it and i was able to actually play...and play on my main save that i have everything on. WITHOUT crashing! yes it was pretty skippy/laggy BUT it didnt crash! So if the graphics card in my NEW computer is the problem...wouldnt my old one just crash also because the driver cant handle it? Does this make ANY sense?! I am seriously thinking the problem is to do with windows 10 or something else with the actual game and not my graphics card. 

• Haha 1

Thank you so much ComR! That was alot to read and i have to admit that most of it made no sense to me as i dont really know much about computers and all the terms :( It doesnt make much sense that i can play other games just fine but ylands is the one crashing constantly. I really wish the devs would say something or try to help me! Iv been playing their game since it was released to the public. I never had any of these problems with the crashing up until it was released on Steam. I need to know also if my amd settings are correct or not. I am so sorry for all of my ignorance and not being able to comprehend all of these computer terms!! 

• Upvote 1

Ok so excuse me again if this sounds dumb. But i was looking around at things and also the requirements for the game. I have windows10 64 bit....the games requires you to have 64bit. When i was looking at the dxdiag and under the display part...it says... Current Mode: 1920 x 1200 (32 bit) (60Hz). Does that matter that it says 32bit?!?! and if so how do i change it? Thank you!

3 hours ago, canadeonbacon said:

Ok so excuse me again if this sounds dumb. But i was looking around at things and also the requirements for the game. I have windows10 64 bit....the games requires you to have 64bit. When i was looking at the dxdiag and under the display part...it says... Current Mode: 1920 x 1200 (32 bit) (60Hz). Does that matter that it says 32bit?!?! and if so how do i change it? Thank you!

You have nothing to worry about, the 32 bit monitor is referring to color depth, not speed. You have a 64 bit PC. Regarding the comment above about your GPU only having 4040 mb... that's 4gb on the card (more than the 2gb that was commented about), and I see that you have 16gb ram too. :) Your card is comparable to an Nvidia 1050 which is a decent card, not the best, but still good imo (I have the 1060 and running on a gaming laptop). It's certainly not a struggle for your card, though there are other factors, cooling for example. But your AMD 470 is slightly better than the Nvidia 1050.

It looks like you have a decent PC. The issue is more than likely compatibility and performance optimization with Ylands, it is early access and I think the Nvidia cards get more attention in development than the Radeons do. There are obviously changes going on with the game, just today there were people getting 3 different types of fatal login errors preventing them from even starting the game (I was one of them).

Edited by Whane The Whip
  • Thanks 1

Ok awesome! thank you so much! that makes me feel a little better about my card!! I really hope that things with the game get better soon, I just love it so much and want to play and support them so bad!! Thank you for your input Whane!

I forgot to add: I couldn't find link, but I saw this: "Ylands needs DX 11.1 to work". This means you need Win10 to Ylands working right, however - I managed to find patches for Win7 (it's there - you'll find it - I don't want to give you links, because my links were not working and I'm guessing - you have to work a bit to find it), which allowed some DX 11.1 functions to work on WIn7. 

And... I think the most important thing is something I found... yeah, kill me, I have no idea where I've found it:

I asked Ylands developers many times for all command lines, but noone responded. So:

Try to add "ylands.exe -dx11" if your system is Win 7. I have no idea if it will work for you, but my game isn't crashing anymore. 

And, once again, Devs, please, give us starting commands list. I think it could help you remove galf of the bugs if you let people use command lines. Forsome it will not work, for some it will work - just allow people to try. Yeah - on their own resposibility.

All The Best,

Bartosz

• Thanks 1

Canadeonbacon,
I'm glad if I could help even a bit. I was struggling to fing out what's wrong with my Ylands, it's still far from perfect, but at last I can play. :) I'm affraid to change anything and see crashes again, but for now game works! :)

All The Best,
ComR