Maqqea

Sugestion: Naming chests

Question

I think it would be a nice if the chests could be named by the player and when the player hoover with the mouse over the chest the name will show up. That way, if a player is anything like me and forget what I put in wish chest, the name of the chest (like stone, marble, tools, food, raw food, clothes, misc ) tell what is in them.

Alternative is to show a list of the items in the chest but that will take up more space and can be clumsier/slower.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

10 replies to this bug / suggestion

Yes please, I always forget what I have and where. A chest with name "Building materials" for example would be a great help.

On 1/19/2018 at 5:37 PM, Maqqea said:

I think it would be a nice if the chests could be named by the player and when the player hoover with the mouse over the chest the name will show up. That way, if a player is anything like me and forget what I put in wish chest, the name of the chest (like stone, marble, tools, food, raw food, clothes, misc ) tell what is in them.

Alternative is to show a list of the items in the chest but that will take up more space and can be clumsier/slower.

If you ever tried using Editor and Visual Scripting, you can make that easily. 

But yes, they could add that feature because not everyone works with scripting things. 

• Like 1

On 8/27/2019 at 12:37 AM, jchob said:

If you ever tried using Editor and Visual Scripting, you can make that easily. 

But yes, they could add that feature because not everyone works with scripting things. 

Exactly, this should be done with a right click ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dork Muffin said:

I was hoping to use signs for this but it looks like signs can't have text added so hopefully this is possible.

Yes, you can write text some signs. Look for signs with "blank" on it's name. In this example I'm using "Blank Wooden Sign"
Use a writing tool, either a knife or pencil. In this example i'm using a stone knife, it's easy to craft.

Ylands_190828_200230.png

Edited by jchob
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, jchob said:

Yes, you can write text some signs. Look for signs with "blank" on it's name. In this example I'm using "Blank Wooden Sign"
Use a writing tool, either a knife or pencil. In this example i'm using a stone knife, it's easy to craft.

Ylands_190828_200230.png

You can't do that when you have a stack of 9 chests next and on top of each other ;)

Edited by Leo65

@jchob you know I love you. But not everyone is a script monkey. Some of these things should just be built in. One game I play lets you put a graphic on the box itself if it's a box with only one item. I agree, labeling of containers would be super helpful.

• Downvote 1

9 hours ago, bojo2736 said:

@jchob you know I love you. But not everyone is a script monkey. Some of these things should just be built in. One game I play lets you put a graphic on the box itself if it's a box with only one item. I agree, labeling of containers would be super helpful.

Eheh I know, that why "I said not everyone works with scripting" ?

For sure, they could add chests labeling feature. 

• Like 1

I think this is a credible suggestion. It could be done with a writing tool like Ink or Pencils in the same way signs are written.

By holding the pencil/ink in an active slot a player could have the option to rename any entity; be it chest or door.

Thumbs up from me! It would be a great little quality of life feature.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1