Question

Others have proposed whales, harpoons, and deep sea adventure before, I’m just synthesizing those ideas. (You know who you are).

There’s an opportunity for the deep sea which we encounter at the border to be expanded further. Maybe 500 blocks or so.

First the ocean floor could be dropped to the basement layer. Corals and veg could be dropped out. Maybe a few super rare and scattered resources could be on this deep ocean floor (requiring deep diving to obtain). 

Second as another had suggested, the weather out there could be cranked up, making fewer glorious sunny days more rare, and making spotting whale spouts more difficult.

Thirdly, whales. Maybe a few different models, mos def a super rare gargantuan white one... All should only have a rare chance to find. They also should have some cosmetic obtainable items that could be harvested. Blubber oil for fuel perhaps, but big bones, skull, or trophy type items for sure. 

The harpoon should be hand throwable and have a craftable shooting variant. Both with a rope that could be tied to the ship. 

My feeling for how whales should be exciting to capture and haul would be for whales to require a few harpoons to be attached to it before they could be tied to the ship and then killed. Then the whale would have to be hauled back to a shallow water to be consumable (knife?) into components. Hauling whales back makes this an adventure. If it slowed the boat a little, and if the whale has a small percent ~2.5-5% chance of sharks attacking it, the player would have to be vigilant and defend their haul on the way back, to avoid a portion of it being consumed by sharks. 

Whale behavior could be 90% submerged 10% emergent. There could be some small pods of two or three whales. Whales would have to travel on a straight line, ‘cause steering a ship while harpooning an animal on a variable course would be difficult in single player. If a player spotted a whale, acquired it’s course, and then the whale submerged, the player could assume the course, wait and watch, and over time the whale would emerge along the same course.

This all seems exciting to me as an expansion of the interesting possibilities for acquiring uncommon loot to display, and also highlights a possible adventure that would fit into this awesome world you’ve created. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

26 replies to this bug / suggestion

Interesting ideas although I probably wouldn’t be one to join in on a whale killing spree. I feel bad enough killing wolves and pumas! Not sure if they would be able to implement this sort of feature again (ie corpses) if they want to keep their family friendly ratings. 

I would much rather hunt mutant sea creatures and have a tameable/rideable whale to have as a sea companion which you could call if your boat got destroyed and you were stranded in the middle of the ocean.

But in general I agree with most here, the sea life needs expanding upon greatly and I’m sure it will come with time

Edited by handofthesly
  • Like 2

Great suggestions ...also   what  about  porpoises/dolphins... they  could  appear near  a Yland  which is out of view   that you  are sailing  past.  and lead you to a  Yland.

Also  Giant Squid  guarding a wreck ..     :/

Perhaps  Ghost  ships /  wrecks   floating   around the oceans ...some would  contain  treasure..others  NPC's     or   Zombies   like the one i discovered on land recently. Perhaps  rescuing a NPC on a wreck   and giving  him/her food  to proceed will result in some form of  reward/benefit to   you.   Also you might meet pirates  ...:o

Also   how about  harvesting  sea weed as a food resource ..?

There a lot of  things  possible .... we just  need to get out a whip and  work the  devs  25/8/367!  :D

I think PETA would like a word with you, seriously though don't like the idea of killing whales when they a just passive creatures..

Maybe they can be in place aesthetically in a spot for deep diving sites or similar.

there are plenty of other dangerous sea creatures of the deep.. just google creatures of the deep and Marianas Trench  for spooks

Also going deep in oceans has pressure problems, so maybe make deep diving have a pressure element to it, so you don't get crush under the weight of the water. like real life.

this will add more progression content for ocean treasures.

I DO NOT want to have to kill whales, are you SERIOUS? Why not also throw plastic bottles and toxic waste in the deep while we re at it? Hey we could also spill oil too no? How about not killing sharks but just mutilating them alive to get their fins and let them float there? What the hell? Are you guys unconscious at that level about how we are destryoying ecosystems and scarring our planet that you want to reproduce that in a game? Even when i cut a tree in this game, i replant it ! 

I also draw, and here is what i am doing these days, because i HATE what we are doing to the oceans, originally posted in "Hello From France" in "Introduce Yourself" section, but i feel it needs to be SEEN here !!! That Mermaid will only have the skin on her bones and is only going to die on that beach full of our trash when it is done. Is that how you want Ylands to become? Not enough around us?

Here is the progress on my latest drawing, work in progress, title "What Have We Done To The Blue ?"

Color pencils and light tablet (that s why you see my prep sketch underneath)

IMG_1716.thumb.JPG.d3ea8363754d743d6a163cd995fdcdab.JPG

You can find more on my FB: YadNi Monde

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, YadNiMonde said:

I DO NOT want to have to kill whales, are you SERIOUS? Why not also throw plastic bottles and toxic waste in the deep while we re at it? Hey we could also spill oil too no? How about not killing sharks but just mutilating them alive to get their fins and let them float there? What the hell? Are you guys unconscious at that level about how we are destryoying ecosystems and scarring our planet that you want to reproduce that in a game? Even when i cut a tree in this game, i replant it ! 

Then i would advise you re-word your original post or people like us might get the wrong idea.

This proposal was THIS close to being downvoted by me, but since it s only a silly idea and there is no offensive content i simply cant.

• Haha 1

I recognize your reluctance to see this included in the game. Alas, my hope of channeling The Old Man and the Sea and Moby Dick may never come to fruition in Ylands..

My romantic view of the 18th-19th century whaling industry conveniently omits the grizzly murder and subsequent collapse of the worldwide whale population.  

I, like you though, think that expanding the variety of animals in this game is desirable. And animals should be harvestable, as this is a resource collection adventure game. And the vast majority of the animals currently available are harvested for leather,  meat, feather, armor components, etc. Whether you choose to or not. The ethics of harvesting animals which don’t attack you in a video game is debatable and murky. I’d rather avoid video game morality disputes. But I think it could be done without mutilated corpses and oil slicks.

I made my suggestion based upon Ylands’ geographical setting and historical tone, and my fond memories of the epic struggles within these old novels. Also my desire to see whales breaching in the distance, spouting, and swimming by in the depths. Their inclusion presents the possibility of epic adventure, world building, and storytelling into the game, and also the possibility of rare trophies and resources obtainable through exploration.

Whaling, tho, may just be too cruel (which it was) and destructive to the environment to warrant it being a game mechanic in Ylands.. I’ll continue the hunt for that elusive white whale elsewhere. 

Maybe hypothetical monters of the deep would be easier to justify being “trophy” animals than their real world analogs. Think “There be monsters” map edge type mythical beasts..

P.S. (off topic) If dolphins are included I’d also like them to be rideable. ?

• Upvote 1

I suppose Aqua Man could put in an appearance, but that may violate some copyrights. 

This, this is just a game, right? Didn't expect to see animal rights people get triggered here. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, YadNiMonde said:

I also draw, and here is what i am doing these days, because i HATE what we are doing to the oceans, originally posted in "Hello From France" in "Introduce Yourself" section, but i feel it needs to be SEEN here !!! That Mermaid will only have the skin on her bones and is only going to die on that beach full of our trash when it is done. Is that how you want Ylands to become? Not enough around us?

Here is the progress on my latest drawing, work in progress, title "What Have We Done To The Blue ?"

Color pencils and light tablet (that s why you see my prep sketch underneath)

You can find more on my FB: YadNi Monde

While I understand your point of view, and certainly agree that, in real life, we as human beings need to treat our environment way better than, I think your reply is a bit of an overreaction. I certainly would prefer not to kill whales, and would suggest that they not be required for progression within the game. I think it would only benefit the game, however, to add more life to the sea, whether that be whales, fish, or other sea creatures. @GrandPunkRailroad's suggestion on how whales would be handled may have been a bit overboard (excuse the pun), but I do at least think the concept of adding more more life to the sea would benefit the game.

There isn't a source for oil in the game yet. Whales could provide that. 

But for a more pacifist style of play, I would like to see wildlife interact with each other, Including sea life. 

There are accounts of dolphins protecting people from sharks. I can see this being added to the game. Personally I favor not killing animals but interacting with them in other ways. 

If you really want Oil (i have no clue why you want that since it s not needed anywhere) then let s make Sunflower Oil, Palm Tree Oil, Colza Oil, Peanut Oil... 

I think we already kill enough wildlife in self defense (panthers, bears, wolves, hyenas...) because they attack us, i do not see the need of attacking friendly or neutral creatures, i for one never killed an ostich, a horse, a boar or a goat in this game, not even a rabbit. 

As for creatures of the seas, i d rather fiercly fight a kraken than slaughter a gentle whale who s just surfacing to breathe.

In this 21st century, games should start showing some good example of smart behavior. Being ecologically responsible will hurt no one, it can even be quite educationnal.

• Upvote 1

How about  chimpanzees  that you can tame and  use as helpers around  your   house?   ... an amusing  idea, but then, considering the way these fine animals are treated in some countries,  that would be  animal  abuse...

And perhaps there could  be  NPC  rangers   visiting  islands and  issuing  fines  for    animal  cruelty ...or  destroying the  environment  with mines ...  ?

Now..  before   the forum explodes in a  barrage  of   down votes and  rage,  this  is a jocular  post,  and is made to illustrate  no  matter what you do   in a game  ..or  real life, there will always  be an opposing view  or  ideology.

If  people   see offence in  some of the suggestions here, there is a solution ...its a  switch   on the  back of your  computer and a cord that links  your  computer to the internet.   Turn the switch off  and pull the cord out of the socket.

Its the  same as the  sex on TV  argument..you dont have to watch it, but  unlike the old  bulky CRT televisions,  with the  latest led  flatscreens you would  find  it very hard  to  balance:$... but least you dot have to worry about getting  caught up on the indoor  antennae!

Pssssst...in  case  you  missed it,  this is  a  fun post... a   joke ....made for a laugh ....   :o

• Haha 1

But seriously :

Whales could be  used as an  indicator  of a nearby  polar   biome yland.

Dolphins... if you see a pod  and feed them  fish, they could  reward you by leading  you to an underwater feature.  They could  lead you to a  chest with a  key  to  something..

Kraken/ Giant  squid...   you  might  need to avoid/ do battle with them   if they are protecting certain underwater features ...perhaps  tamed   dolphins  could  assist  you there  by  showing you alternative   low  danger  access..   

Also   as a   humorous   side    perhaps  collecting  animal poop ...and  placing it in a  composting  machine   will provide  fertilizer to make  crops  land  flax/cotton   resources   double in productivity.

Sunflowers ...yes    they could be used to provide protein  meal  or  oil for  specialized food....   or    feed for poultry that  would  produce  eggs.

Remember ...its a game...¬¬

5 hours ago, kimbuck said:

Now..  before   the forum explodes in a  barrage  of   down votes and  rage,  this  is a jocular  post,  and is made to illustrate  no  matter what you do   in a game  ..or  real life, there will always  be an opposing view  or  ideology.

This is only my personnal opinion, but since this is, as i call it, a "refeshing game", i just would not like to see it turned into a massive butchery of sea life, it would only lead it to a very bad side that is not necessary.

That is all i will say here ever, point made. Now it s up to the Devs to know what way they want to go, keep it nice and pleasant or turn it into a slaughter simulation.

• Upvote 1

Setting the whaling issue aside, I do like the idea of a big "drop-off" around the edges of the world with deteriorating weather and sea monsters (including white whales) that can tear your ship apart.  This would a whole lot better than a friendly message that you are moving away from existing land masses.

Adding some ability to defend ourselves or to ward them off would make for an exciting game-play.  Add a few sunken ships with treasure or deep underwater ruins and you will never again hear people complain about the "limits" of the map :D

2 hours ago, Soondead-27d3f9fbcbfb78c3 said:

Really, palm oil? This discussion needs more gasoline. Here: http://www.saynotopalmoil.com/Whats_the_issue.php

Palm oil is only really bad because of the deforestation humans are causing to create massive plantations of palm trees and in effect are destroying animals habitats.

So far in Ylands there isn’t such a feature like this, it is totally up to the player whether they want to strip everything off of their land and replant a monoculture of palms with little to no consequence. Maybe an idea for a future update?

32 minutes ago, handofthesly said:

Palm oil is only really bad because of the deforestation humans are causing to create massive plantations of palm trees and in effect are destroying animals habitats.

Do you really believe this? The fact is that this argument applies to almost any type of cultivated crop, be it wheat, corn, cotton, bananas or pretty much everything else we grow for mass consumption and profit; ecosystems are replaced with endless fields of whatever happens to be in demand. Like christmas trees. Did you know that palm oil is considered the most efficient crop in terms of bio-energy per acre and was at one point considered the most logical way to get the world economy off of fossil fuels? Isn't it funny how the people's opinion suddenly shifted in the disfavor of just that single crop and changed the trade balance between Malaysia and US/Europe? Facts can be quite interesting.

Meanwhile, hunting whales is considered outrageous because whales are passive and there used to be a lot more of them. Truth is, the same goes for all other types of fish, like cod, pollock and herring doesn't it but who gives a flying duck about those? Well, those are morally acceptable sources of food aren't they. Like cats and dogs in some Asian countries. Meanwhile, nobody really cares that we kill wolves in Ylands, although they are considered a critically endangered species in real life. But they're bad, obviously. One of them tried to eat the three little pigs.

Edited by Soondead-27d3f9fbcbfb78c3

I’m not saying palm oil is the only culprit, it was just the example being used in the conversation. We have a serious problem in my country with dairy intensification and the pollution it pumps into our waterways. Like I said, monoculture is not the way to go, humans are ruining this planet using these outdated techniques.

And as I said in my first comment on this post, I DO feel bad about killing wolves and pumas and so do a lot of other players. I also certainly do not agree with how humans IRL are treating animals and causing so many extinctions, regardless if it’s a mammal, lizard, bird, amphibian, insect, spider, marsupial etc etc. we should be protecting them if anything. 

This is a game and it is for the individual player to decide how they want to play. Game developers will always have a hard time catering for every kind of player because we are all different and have differing opinions.

My main point was that I thought it unlikely that they would be able to implement such a feature like which the OP was suggesting as it wouldn’t agree with the ratings system as they are trying to keep the game family friendly. And I was never implying that the game devs shouldn’t keep bringing new content to the game, I was merely bringing it to peoples attention that the devs are limited to what they can realistically do with the game with those constraints.

Edited by handofthesly
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, handofthesly said:

This is a game and it is for the individual player to decide how they want to play. Game developers will always have a hard time catering for every kind of player because we are all different and have differing opinions.

I think we agree a lot more than we disagree, and that the world would be a lot better if we could confine a great number of practices to computer games rather than applying them in real life. Such as killing for amusement :-)

• Upvote 2

How i play the game now is i managed to craft a propeller pack  and  can explore,  mine,  and  gather resources from Ylands  avoiding conflict with the   animals/predators.  I have  3 ylands  where the  animals are undisturbed..and   i have    filled in mining pits and  replanted  flora!  and   they are looking  good ... even tried  planting  trees on a desert!  Have to go back and   check their  progressB|

So there's more to the  game  than  running around  stripping  everything  bare and killing  everyone / everything.:D

I currently  have  paused on my  current  game ..  using it to  experiment   with  creations  and ideas  to  resume  after the  0.7  update. 

I use  Ylands to escape  from  RL ...    and i  avoid  MP games because there are too many  who want to turn refreshing  games like  Ylands  into  pits of  despair and gloom  and  desolation  like  areas of   rl...

Ylands  can be used to  teach  younger players   on how to  co - operate with other players and  the  environment.  I  expect  that some time in the future such dedicated  servers will emerge.  It will  take  time  for the  blood thirsty  immature  trolls and  destroyers with the  inability  to be creative and clever  to lose interest   and move on ..  

Could we have  camels? That would be neat on  desert  biomes.:D But then  their  would be  arguments as to   whether they be dromedaries  or  bactrians ..     Humph!o.O

Edited by kimbuck

Unlike some I refuse to be walking on egg shells, or afraid I might hurt some ones delicate sensibility's in a Virtual World.  This world has far far to much of that already.  "This" is a video game about being stranded and making a life for ones self.  Go ahead and not kill anything if you don't want, but as some one once told me here, they are PIXELS.  Had to do a huge culling of seagulls on every island....  No kidding HUNDREDS. Now to make this clear, I am a complete animal "Lover" and could tell you stories of how many times I have shed tears over silly things,  like a baby rabbit I rescued from the mouth of a cat no bigger than a couple walnuts, the rabbit not the cat :D.  It died in my hands 4 days later,  after waking me from sleep. I cried for about 10 minutes.  I was a 17 year old logger in Oregon at the time. I watch Vids of Orcas and Dolphins and I spray profanity at the large groups of intellectually challenged people.  I still tear up all the time, I lost my 12 year old buddy which was a Wolf/Malamute hybrid a couple years back and I hate.... Hate how bad that hurts. 

I apologize for the Diary of Dren, but this is a VIDEO GAME.

5a690d17d8ff7_171205_1661283205215_1031226897_31429471_1398859_o(2).thumb.jpg.73d5d835b425a8b1b77f04a678565fae.jpgDSCF0125.thumb.JPG.cd71e0cc43ca407fdbfecfaf12bd4ef5.JPG

Edited by arkaeldren
  • Like 2

I knew based upon the first few responses that this subject had become fraught with tricky feelings about killing these majestic mammals if they were included in this game. 

I also am the type which carries spiders outside rather than smashing them. But in video games I also like a little GTA.. One might not have much bearing on the other. 

The focus of the discussion ought to be whether whales are worthy of being suggested to the developers for inclusion in the game or not. My thoughts are that if they were to be included, they ought to be harvestable. Others have said they oppose whale harvest, which I respect.

My idea is that whales might drop ~20 meat and perhaps 10 whalebone. Big bones that could be used to decorate a homesite. And perhaps whalebone could be craftable using a knife into a trophy like a scrimshawed whale tooth, or made into a whalebone corset. Whale inclusion means that we could logically have flags and wood signs with blowspouts and whale fin designs..

I’m opposed to the idea that whale oil become a new fuel. I dislike the idea of requiring massive whale consumption to drive some motor or other, we already have Ylandium.. I also agree that whale resources should not be required to build any end game craftables.

I imagine that whales would be rare to spot and hard to catch. And the reason I think they should not attack ships (take that Moby Dick) is because a player ought not to loose their ship at sea apart from some reason that they control. Now if the bump dynamic weren’t so finicky (dang seagulls) maybe they could bump the boat a bit.. But it’d be tough to make the claim that they should be an enemy, and ought instead to be benign. Players could choose how to interact with them. As I do not kill boars and goats, because I think of them as tameable farm animals, but I do kill ostriches for the feathers despite their not attacking me.

As for the shark defending portion of my idea. They’re pests. I just thought it’d be more epic to have to transport the whale to shallows meanwhile preventing the food portion of the resource from being diminished. Plus if it were an attraction to a few sharks, they’d be easier to hit from the ship. Usually I find they swim away when shot at and are near impossible to kill from a ship.

There should be more to do and see while sailing. It’d have to be simple activities because sailing is tricky. And I think having additional player driven goals and displayable rewards would increase the longevity of the game for some.

Thar she blows! 9_9

• Like 3

Hey, I thought I'd add my 2 cents worth in here.
But before I do, does anyone know if the Devs have any plans to add more animals in the distant future?
Would love to see whales, dolphins, octopuses and maybe a few fish added to the sea.
Other animal ideas could be chickens, where you can collect eggs from, sheep, where you can collect wool to make clothing (as a 2nd option to cloth but offer different clothing styles for it), cows for the leather and maybe milk? Milk could be used to make more food options like cheese etc.
The odd butterfly?
And maybe a bee hive that can be harvested for the honey, and yet again made into a food product
Off topic, but how cool would it be to see a rainbow after it's rained with a couple of butterflies flying around :)

Edited by Mitch Treader
forgot the beesz!
  • Upvote 1