Migelthesloth

Issue building an unusual house

Hi, so I was building a house ispired by this style of buildings:

01.jpg

I just liked the idea of having a green roof with vegetation on it. My version is single-floored and was intended to have a flat full-glass front on both sides.

Ylands_180128_161254.thumb.png.7475b6fa0a203347a8e575faba857724.pngYlands_180128_161309.thumb.png.ed98d6cbdc58bb7ab62747c7f7562b63.png

Unfortunately, there's a massive problem here: Having the dirt on top seems to make the "house" a cave. The horizon turns pitch black, fully invalidating the glass front and the panorama from the living room.

Ylands_180128_161337.thumb.png.8864c49c1b2c1eb860a4cf8dc4760eaa.pngYlands_180128_161339.thumb.png.786e676b9ad20a0a54c278a33d62a2a1.png

A fireplace and lanterns light the house itself very dimly, and make even the center of the - pretty slim - house hard to navigate.

Ylands_180128_161348.thumb.png.f0f279ce6b1afb698e6c1f6e76e72c58.png

I guess that's just how caves work in this game. The game checks how much dirt is above, and if there's enough of it, it just turns everything pitch black until a light is shining on it. I have no plans to light all of my panorama up with torches

I'll probably just abandon this project. I seriously doubt there'll be any changes or ways to get daylight into the house without breaking the roof.  I've put only around 5 hours in it so it's not like it's the project of a lifetime. Still bummed. Just wanted to show that... this problem exists, I guess. If anyone has an idea how to save this project, I'm happy to listen to suggestions.

• Upvote 4

Interesting. I wonder if adding a few single block windows to the roof that extends through the dirt would do anything. I have no experience with it though, just guessing. Fun concept for a build though.

You could remove some of the dirt and try making the dirt path narrower.  Maybe use some stone and create a curved structure with them first.  I have seen a lot of curve like structures make with the stone in the game.  Maybe stone on the outside frames and dirt in the middle, sort of like the real structure seems to look like.

Edited by Jdtriton

45 minutes ago, Energritz_ said:

Upvote for effort!

Yes most definitely.  Best attempt at using dirt into the mix.

Good effort!

Actually,  the   quartz  crystals  you  find in caves  give a brighter light.  Try a few of them  first...¬¬

As Kimbuck suggest  the blue crystals gives off a lot of light.  (Have a look at my "beach house night shot in creations to see the effect just a few have.)

I have also played around a bit with circles, but find the stone slope parts work better for me, just color them brown. The circle i have is only half what you have but can house 3 levels if made a full circle.

Paint gun and added grass plants should give it a better finish. Good luck. Great attempt so far.

On 1/28/2018 at 10:17 PM, Migelthesloth said:

I guess that's just how caves work in this game. The game checks how much dirt is above, and if there's enough of it, it just turns everything pitch black until a light is shining on it. I have no plans to light all of my panorama up with torches

Yes thats how sunlight works when transition to the cave. There are 2 ways to handle this.

1. How about using flower pot? it may look a bit square-ish but you can hide it with paint and tall plants.
  2. With Editor you can light up your surrounding house using game logic "Interior". Scale up the "interior" until area of your house is inside the zone then double click the "interior" icon change light intensity to 1. With this way no more darkness when sun is shining, but the sound effect inside your house might sounds like inside the cave.

Cheers! #NeverAbandonAwesomeProject xD