RedEagle_P1.

Server frustrations

9 minutes ago, Whane The Whip said:

They probably have the update ready to deploy. Just waiting for that magic minute to hit the button. They probably have the post written up too.

@WijkagentAdrie I like to do the same with an oceanic platform base. With a pier on one side to have a safe spot for the ship to rest inside the BP perimeter.

I've built this little house here, and I've built a Maunsell fort (a UK WW2 air defense fortress). The Maunsell fortress was constructed out of steel blocks, so survival wise not economical at all. The house you see in the screenshot fits in the 30x30 range that was confirmed by the devs for the barrier size. However I found out that the actual size is 30x30 units, and one block is 0.375. There for this house could be expanded in all directions, maybe have a pier like construction attached to a manmade island?

20171105143438_1.thumb.jpg.55929eba0a6530007a594528f53e225d.jpg

Also, I believe that at the moment ships aren't protected, even when inside your barrier. It's sad that we can't make massive gates ourselves as building a dock still leaves your ship partially exposed. Maybe if you place lockable doors on the sides that need to open for the ship to get out, you can make it safe :) 

20171116182838_1.thumb.jpg.cd35cb04e2fd8fff1650f0cdd2fdbb36.jpg

• Upvote 1

@WijkagentAdrie Interesting builds. I'm familiar with those abandoned forts, I adopted some builds in Minecraft from them, back in my MC days. There is a specific one I've been eyeing for an Ylands build.

When I tested my ship within my PB, I was able to use the fast deconstruct so I assumed that since that worked, they were also protected. But no one has ever stolen a ship of mine behind the PB so I can't be sure if it's because it was protected, or because no one tried. I don't build them close to islands though, I build them out of view of islands except at first when I was experimenting. 

Edited by Whane The Whip

Just now, Whane The Whip said:

@WijkagentAdrie Interesting builds. I'm familiar with those abandoned forts, I adopted some builds in Minecraft from them, back in my MC days. There is a specific one I've been eyeing for an Ylands build.

When I tested my ship within my PB, I was able to use the fast deconstruct so I assumed that since that worked, they were also protected. But no one has ever stolen a ship of mine behind the BP so I can't be sure if it's because it was protected, or because no one tried. I don't build them close to islands though, I build them out of view of islands except at first when I was experimenting. 

Do you fancy testing out how the current barriers actually work in a MP game we can set up quick, just for the purpose of testing? If so, you can add me on steam (wijkagentadrie / Wijkagent Adrie)

I also probably know which fort you mean :D 

4 minutes ago, WijkagentAdrie said:

Do you fancy testing out how the current barriers actually work in a MP game we can set up quick, just for the purpose of testing? If so, you can add me on steam (wijkagentadrie / Wijkagent Adrie)

I also probably know which fort you mean :D 

I'm game. I'm still at work ATM though so I would not be able to participate now, perhaps in an hour if you're available? I sent a steam request.

2 hours ago, kimbuck said:

@ Energritz ... i am  getting tempted to  join in on your server. What i  would  like to do is  to  find a shallow area  around a  Yland and  create a   new low level  Yland there  as an island base,  and  gradually   expand it  and   re forest it, plant  crops  etc   and eventually  connect it  via a causeway / roadway to a nearby  Yland. Of  course,   a non- aggressive  resident.

Just give me  time  first to  get my  act  together after the 0.7  update¬¬

Sounds rather interesting, knock yourself out

I have been playing on your server Whip. I was playing as Capt. Ben Betour. I was building a ship, but i was running in place withe 2 second lag spikes every 5 minutes and it got to hard to play.

The only time it was playable, it seemed, was when there were only 1-3 people on the server.

Edited by SyxtySyx

@ energritz ...    will dare to  infest your  server   with my presence  as  soon as  its  available  after  the  update - hope there are not  too many rabbits  ( remember that silly add on tv? )xD

31 minutes ago, kimbuck said:

@ energritz ...    will dare to  infest your  server   with my presence  as  soon as  its  available  after  the  update - hope there are not  too many rabbits  ( remember that silly add on tv? )xD

Tv... ads... nope sorry i haven't watched conventional tv in over 10 years now..

2 hours ago, SyxtySyx said:

I have been playing on your server Whip. I was playing as Capt. Ben Betour. I was building a ship, but i was running in place withe 2 second lag spikes every 5 minutes and it got to hard to play.

The only time it was playable, it seemed, was when there were only 1-3 people on the server.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm sorry to hear that. I've experienced the same from time to time and there have even been times that I could not login to my own DS. There are def performance issues though, most notably when the server was at 6+ guests and just before I performed clean up through the editor every other day. Ships and boats both seem to be more sensitive to performance than anything else. In fact, anytime I'm on, I keep one eye on the water and watch how resting boats move to the motion of the water, this is always a good indicator of how well, or poorly the server is running, in addition to any water glitching I see.

I do recall seeing you around but I don't remember if you were near spawn or not. In that area frames have dropped a lot due to people building near each other and a lot of players clustered trees, flax, and other plants for decoration and this was a big contributor to dropped frames as well, esp for those of us with dynamic plants enabled. Whereas most servers I've joined had nothing more than a few scattered camps or small builds, the spawn area on TCN has a large collection of well sized builds. That and the fact that as the islands evolve, that save file gets larger and that too is a contributing factor to performance so while the auto restarts at 4:15 am and pm help but towards the end of two days it seemed to be less effective, so too over time. At first these restarts are a great refresh for the server but as the server has aged these daily restarts become more life support than performance boosts.

And the worse is during login. Anytime someone was logging in, regardless of where they were, there was a spike and character freezing. This was supposed to be fixed for 0.6.3 but server stress has brought it back. This is even worse when others were logging in at or near spawn. This often creates a chain reaction because another player, thinking the experience means that he should relog, would do so and then of course relogging would further effect the server and other players. I visit other servers off and on to compare performance and most of them give me issues comparable or worse, even when it's just 1 or two users. Just this morning I was on a west coast DS that had very little usage and even though there were only 2 of us, I kept losing my connection every 5 minutes.

But despite my efforts, the server does seem to have a life span, unless I'm willing to do restrict it to 3 users or less (and at one point some odd bug had my server at 10/8 users) but I've pushed anyway knowing that I would reset for 0.7. I learned a few things and hope to do better for this next run beginning this weekend, with a new world and 0.7 and I'm looking forward to further development on the DS which has been slotted to begin after 0.7.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2018 at 12:18 PM, WijkagentAdrie said:

However I found out that the actual size is 30x30 units, and one block is 0.375.

I thought it was wrong when I kept seeing this 30x30 size being posted around the place. From my measurements, the actual size is 82x82x82 blocks (as in the smallest block size we have currently). I've also found that the PB generator is not truly in the centre of the entire protected area and that there is more protected area above the generator than below it (55 blocks above and 27 blocks below). Strangely enough it is also not quite horizontally centralised either, there is 42 blocks going left of the PB and 39 going right (not including the block it is placed on).

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, handofthesly said:

I thought it was wrong when I kept seeing this 30x30 size being posted around the place. From my measurements, the actual size is 82x82x82 blocks (as in the smallest block size we have currently). I've also found that the PB generator is not truly in the centre of the entire protected area and that there is more protected area above the generator than below it (55 blocks above and 27 blocks below). Strangely enough it is also not quite horizontally centralised either, there is 42 blocks going left of the PB and 39 going right (not including the block it is placed on).

Thanks for that. I was fairly certain that 30x30 was off too as I had counted 83 (with the smallest block) in the past but I was planning to do a recount first. I still have not done the recount but on my first (about a month back) I counted 83 with 41 on each side of the PB block.

Edited by Whane The Whip

4 hours ago, Whane The Whip said:

I counted 83 with 41 on each side of the PB block.

I thought it was odd when I counted and found it wasn’t centred quite right, I might have to retest it when I’m not half asleep! ?

EDIT: I've gone back to test it and it appears to still be 82x82x82. Why they decided to have it off centre really confuses me. Here's some pictures to show how I counted it, I used baroque stone blocks which are 2x2 blocks wide, as you can see the pattern is not symmetrical.

PB Area.png

PB Area2.png

Edited by handofthesly
  • Upvote 2

@handofthesly Nice work. That must have been tedious to determine. If I could give you more than one upvote I would. The fact that the PB is off center is a bit annoying. But I know of at least one additional off center item, the helm control when placed in grid format.

Edited by Whane The Whip

On 30.01.2018 at 10:51 PM, Energritz_ said:

As a server operator i have to deal with:

• Daily clean up
  • Up to 2hrs everyday checking all ylands briefly for issues
  • Lack of garbage collection
  • Non re-spawning plants, animals
  • Non re-spawning of Resources
  • Lack of a Linux server option
  • Watching server ram reach 90% and then freaking out

What i need for the Editor:

• The ability to teleport to players       
  • The ability to use game menu option on DS generated maps
  • The ability to change day length
  • As other have said , custom map with Protective barriers
  • Starting area that's configurable, aka, safe zone for new players for a brief time, shelter etc

Do you think that the Editor will ever have pbarriers for custom maps ? I really need them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, candrei98 said:
  • The ability to change day length
  •  

This is setup in the generate new terrain section :D

5 hours ago, candrei98 said:

Do you think that the Editor will ever have pbarriers for custom maps ? I really need them.

Create a new world. Have your character drop his PB. Go into the editor and select the PB then save it as a composition ;)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, TheSparkPlug said:

Create a new world. Have your character drop his PB. Go into the editor and select the PB then save it as a composition ;)

DOES IT REALLY WORK ?

WOW MAN THANK YOU !!!xD

Edited by candrei98

1 hour ago, candrei98 said:

DOES IT REALLY WORK ?

WOW MAN THANK YOU !!!xD

Problem is it does not work for others. Like only you have a PB. 

On 26/07/2018 at 11:46 PM, candrei98 said:

At this rate i have a lot of doubts for this project, i won't say anymore because there are white knights here that will down vote me, for constructive criticism and taking it negatively,  because my logic is too real for them. Another reason i don't bother posting here anymore, because i don't feel welcome. Due to this and broken dev promises it's very likely by September the only 24/7 Public Oceania server will cease to exist.

Edited by Energritz_
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Energritz_ said:

At this rate i have a lot of doubts for this project, i won't say anymore because there are white knights here that will down vote me, for constructive criticism and taking it negatively,  because my logic is too real for them. Another reason i don't bother posting here anymore, because i don't feel welcome. Due to this and broken dev promises it's very likely by September the only 24/7 Public Oceania server will cease to exist.

I have to agree with you.  My doubts stem from the fact that they failed to create a positive experience for multiplayer before the number of active players dropped to a level where most bugs will not even get reported when new updates do come out.   I've seen this happen in early access games before.  I think the premise of the game is fine for a single player or perhaps co-op the way it is priced but I think they are going to struggle with combat, sync issues and griefing in multiplayer until only a few players remain.  One thing I think they should definitely do is get rid of sleep and make the night time just bright enough to continue playing. 

17 hours ago, Energritz_ said:

May I ask why you don't feel welcome here? :(

On July 27, 2018 at 8:08 AM, RedEagle_P1. said:

Problem is it does not work for others. Like only you have a PB. 

Actually that's not even true. You will have a working barrier. Just not keyed to anyone. But it still works as protection from destruction. I use it for areas in MP where I want to have buildngs and land that I don't want changed. So for that I have a PB saved as a composition. 

What you can do, is within the game, copy a barrier from that game and then the player does have control of it. I do offer that to my players if they are big builders and want to build in multiple locations.

7 hours ago, Ane said:

May I ask why you don't feel welcome here? :(

Because previously i've made a post about something similar about project status and such and got abuse from other forum users, and recently people have seen these and have made threats outside of the forum, probably to hide and stay safe, because the things they have said would be quite questionable. Sorry to say ane, i would like to express my opinions but they are not welcome here, because i see different views to what they have.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Energritz_ said:

Because previously i've made a post about something similar about project status and such and got abuse from other forum users, and recently people have seen these and have made threats outside of the forum, probably to hide and stay safe, because the things they have said would be quite questionable. Sorry to say ane, i would like to express my opinions but they are not welcome here, because i see different views to what they have.

Mm that's not good... you know we always encourage people to share their thoughts, whatever they are, there's no issue from our side. But I understand you don't want to receive threats whenever you do...

If you feel like it send me a private message with more detailed info, so that we can try and solve the situation.

I know what you mean ERGZ. It's sad that we lost you as a host, I'm going to steer clear from the forums and sharing anything from now on too. Best of luck Ylands.