Ashbane

Players blocking spawn

Hey,

there are some players, e.g. Ahzz (hash 98372658-fe4a-46d1-aa6d-4a78ee59db44) on [OFFICIAL] EXPLORE EU 32, that are blocking the spawn on the primary Yland (built a protected jail around the spawn point so no1 can get out), essentially turning a public server into an online private server.

Spawns should not be possible to modify in any way by players to prevent this (at least on the official servers) - not sure if this is an oversight of whoever created the server or it is currently impossible to protect the spawn at all.

• Thanks 3

This is why we need spawn protections... surprised this is happening on official servers even

Judging by the number of public servers, I'd venture a guess that none of them are moderated. In the NA region there are 32 official servers. My limited experience with them is that they a trolls paradise. IMO, they would be better off with fewer, but moderated. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Ashbane said:

Hey,

il y a quelques joueurs, par exemple Ahzz  (hash 98372658-fe4a-46d1-aa6d-4a78ee59db44) sur [OFFICIAL] EXPLORE EU 32, qui bloquent le frai sur le Yland primaire (construit une prison protégée autour du point de réapparition afin que no1 puisse sortir ), transformant essentiellement un serveur public en un serveur privé en ligne.

Les spawns ne devraient pas pouvoir être modifiés de quelque façon que ce soit par les joueurs pour empêcher cela (au moins sur les serveurs officiels) - pas sûr que ce soit un oubli de celui qui a créé le serveur ou qu'il est actuellement impossible de protéger le spawn.

I made his meeting ... So used the command / unstuck, and tried to make a pile of dirt to allow others to go out ... In vain, apparently!

• Upvote 1

Dear all,

just to make things clear, we are on a alpha stage development, where every second official servers is crashed or blocked after few days. 

we are encouraged by the devs to find EXPOITS to let them fix before beta or final release.

Yes ... i build an prison around the spawn spot. It was not perfect, but i tried as this idea crossed my mind. And it worked. Since then there were multiple escapes out of the prison. Which i still try to improve
(if i would like to have it private, i would just build some tesla around the spawn spot, and you don't even need to have a protective barriere there)

So i try to point out the things i think myself are wrong, as blocking the spawn point, or with dirt blast the base, or move an player outside of his barrier to kill him. 

So nothing to excuse myself from, i am not cheating, just debugging the game.

This whole impersonating problem would not be there if the following corrections would be implemented:

1 The spawn location would be a randomized to up to 15 locations on the initial island

2  new special command for suicide would be implemented, in case of getting stuck in an enemy base or blocked in enemy barrier.this suicide kill would act similarly to The kill when you fell through the ground, you would keep all your equipment but you would respond at a randomized  location, at the same time it would take 15 secs to suicide, so it could not be miss-used in PVP encunters

3  protect user to be moved outside of his protective barrier when he's off-line, even falling down

P.S.: Jinak zdravím bohemia interactive, díky za hru, je moc fajn ...

Ylands_180130_212856.png

Edited by Ahzzz
  • Downvote 8

@Ahzzz It is true that you are looking for exploits, but not to report them, but to take advantage of them at the cost of others because your style of game play requires the disruption of other players. You may insist that you are here as a favor to the community, but then again, you only just now created an account to post, and it was not for the benefit of the community, but to excuse your actions. One does not need to troll other players to find exploits, when collaboration is so available.

• Upvote 5

10 minutes ago, Whane The Whip said:

@Ahzzz It is true that you are looking for exploits, but not to report them, but to take advantage of them at the cost of others because your style of game play requires the disruption of other players. You may insist that you are here as a favor to the community, but then again, you only just now created an account to post, and it was not for the benefit of the community, but to excuse your actions. One does not need to troll other players to find exploits, when collaboration is so available.

Dear Whane,
I do not submit a mid-research report while I still have not all the answers yet. I am reacting on a complaint to my behavior.
Regarding cost of others - i only limit new players without any time spent in the game, so they do not loose any effort they invested. I offered Ashbane and his friend Salam (as one of players escaped and having some kind of establishment) a copy key to the prison, but he was not reacting.

I also offered new players to let them out of the prison, if they hand me over their broken protective barrier, to see if they are good players or trolls, to somehow moderate who i let to a game where i invested 20+h in building (knowing how easy is to destroy effort and work of others in few minutes, stealing ships, etc).  Never intended to keep it, more to place it in some distant-difficult-to-reach place, just to make their game a little more adventurous.

I am trying to protect myself from disruption by others which i did not trust. That was the original idea. And the report of exploits is an additional goal. 
Again, if i would do what you say, it would only need to build few tesla around the spawn spot, which would kill instantly all new spawns.

I am not mocking them, or trolling them. I discuss with every player who appears (if present) and try to reason with them. Usual response is just hate and aggression.
I am also not replicating this on every server to disrupt the game there, i chose a new-created server, where i was first and did it there to not hurt anyone.

Hope this gives you a better insight into my actions.

• Downvote 1

forcing  them to hand over  stuff  like that is  blackmail .. a punishable  offence in the real world.  You  have  no right to do that on a  public  server.

f you are genuine  in your so called " research for  exploits etc  blah  blah,  common  sense would  prevail for you to find another method  of  research  where  you do not   inconvenience the   innocent and  unwary and  ruin their  enjoyment.

It also  gives the  game a  bad name ... which  i do not think the   game  creators/developers  will appreciate.

I do not agree with  you.

Your  actions  speak for  them self  ..   If  no one   believes  your  or  trusts  you ...whose  fault is that!  ??

20 minutes ago, Ahzzz said:

I also offered new players to let them out of the prison, if they hand me over their broken protective barrier, to see if they are good players or trolls, to somehow moderate who i let to a game where i invested 20+h in building (knowing how easy is to destroy effort and work of others in few minutes, stealing ships, etc).  Never intended to keep it, more to place it in some distant-difficult-to-reach place, just to make their game a little more adventurous.

I am trying to protect myself from disruption by others which i did not trust. That was the original idea. And the report of exploits is an additional goal. 
Again, if i would do what you say, it would only need to build few tesla around the spawn spot, which would kill instantly all new spawns.

I

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, kimbuck said:

forcing  them to hand over  stuff  like that is  blackmail .. a punishable  offence in the real world.  You  have  no right to do that on a  public  server.

f you are genuine  in your so called " research for  exploits etc  blah  blah,  common  sense would  prevail for you to find another method  of  research  where  you do not   inconvenience the   innocent and  unwary and  ruin their  enjoyment.

It also  gives the  game a  bad name ... which  i do not think the   game  creators/developers  will appreciate.

I do not agree with  you.

Your  actions  speak for  them self  ..   If  no one   believes  your  or  trusts  you ...whose  fault is that!  ??

Dear Kimbuck,

Again, what you say is one point of view. Difference is, as you say, also in real life, if you want to enter somewhere you have to hand over your ID to be verified, you are not forced to enter this particular place, you can go to any other. You did not invest anything up until now, so you loose nothing.

Its your free right to dis-agree, but it does not mean you are right and i am wrong. Each of us has apparently a different point of view. You maybe did not experience, when someone destroys all your work and investments, just because he can. This game still is not perfect in protecting the effort you put into it (for example protection of boats or the player equipment in barrier zone).

It is almost impossible to get rid of a bad person, if it once establish itself, breaking everything what you established. Would you not try to protect your effort and investments you did from harm? Don't you do that also in real life? I do, and i stand for it to be blamed for doing so. I want to play with my friends or new people meet and i gain trust, without the danger of constant destruction of one evil person. I do not have resources to build an own hosted non-stop server. And as every world is just for 8 people, and there are 30+ official worlds, its not like I "give the game a bad name".

Regarding the lack of trust, I have done nothing to prove good or bad, it is a new encounter with no previous history, so i guess, the people of this time want an easy road casual with no obstacles and difficulties. But i am an old-timer, for me the game is not memorable if its not having obstacles you can overcome, adventure you can live. And as these worlds are not moderated, i decided to moderate this one myself a bit.

all just a different point of view....

p.s.: if such behavior are not wanted by the devs, they should prevent them from being possible ... so if they don't, maybe its intentional to leave this option (to block the spawn point) to the player.
p.p.s.: And I already stated my opinion on the spawn location block in the post before. Once I finish my findings, i was and am going to submit an recommendation on a fix (if it is not intended by devs)

• Downvote 2

Ahzz .... You missed   one  major  point : it is a public   server,  you do  not own it  nor have the right to police it.  its  there for all to use.  If  griefers   etc are annoying  you,  well   whats the difference between a  griefer  and  your  actions?

Your  attempts to  justify your  actions  just  does not   "cut the mustard" as they say. Its  not  your  server,  and  your  self  crafted  tin sheriffs  badge   does NOT  make  you  the guardian of the galaxy.

Over  and  out,  mission control. 

All is   said .

• Upvote 3

@Ahzzz you're simply being griefer.. What kind of excuse you want to say, exploiting bug/glitch/lack of features to get advantage over other players is nothing other than griefer actions. Clearly you can searching for exploit/bug by yourself without using other players as guinea pig, and then report it to the Devs. I done it several times in the past, your excuse is simply make no sense at all.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Velocifer said:

@Ahzzz you're simply being griefer.. What kind of excuse you want to say, exploiting bug/glitch/lack of features to get advantage over other players is nothing other than griefer actions. Clearly you can searching for exploit/bug by yourself without using other players as guinea pig, and then report it to the Devs. I done it several times in the past, your excuse is simply make no sense at all.

I am not exploiting it, i had an idea and i tried it, and it worked. If i would replicate it over and over, i would exploit it.
and again, the exploit report is a side-effect, not the main intention why i tried it.

• Downvote 1

42 minutes ago, kimbuck said:

Ahzz .... You missed   one  major  point : it is a public   server,  you do  not own it  nor have the right to police it.  its  there for all to use.  If  griefers   etc are annoying  you,  well   whats the difference between a  griefer  and  your  actions?

Your  attempts to  justify your  actions  just  does not   "cut the mustard" as they say. Its  not  your  server,  and  your  self  crafted  tin sheriffs  badge   does NOT  make  you  the guardian of the galaxy.

Over  and  out,  mission control. 

All is   said .

again ... (an angle of view) if its possible, there is a possibility that it was intended as a game mechanic.
Honestly don't understand all this "griefers" terminology, as translated being "sad people", i am happy, not sad, and i want to enjoy the game i invest my time into.

My crafted badge does it not make me the guardian? Who did I hurt with my actions? Who lost ANY of his time|effort|investments due to my actions?
NOONE did. Not a single player. IF they decided to stay, it was their free will to do so AND i offered them even keys for the prison. I created the prison BEFORE any other player joined the world.

So why I cant police it? Right, i do not have admin rights to kick anyone as it is not my DS, but I had an idea and realized it, and surprisingly it worked. I am not hurting anyone by my actions. 

• Downvote 1

hahahaha.. ah dude, you know the definition of "exploiting"? let me give you this link http://www.dictionary.com/browse/exploiting look at point 5 directly so you won't be confused anymore. That words there,that is what you did. If you trying to protect yourself, the best way is make a friends and build a base nearby then protect each other, like I did with YadNi in the past. Using lack of features to disadvantage other players in public server? You better be banned if I were an admin.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Velocifer said:

hahahaha.. ah dude, you know the definition of "exploiting"? let me give you this link http://www.dictionary.com/browse/exploiting look at point 5 directly so you won't be confused anymore. That words there,that is what you did. If you trying to protect yourself, the best way is make a friends and build a base nearby then protect each other, like I did with YadNi in the past. Using lack of features to disadvantage other players in public server? You better be banned if I were an admin.

5.(in a video game) the use of a bug or flaw in game design to aplayer’s advantage or to the disadvantage of other players.

Yes, (if i quote the same translation) but i was not exploiting a known bug intentionally or a design flaw  , I had an idea which i did not know if it even will work and i realized it into life. I am not replicating it and taking advantage of this knowledge.

Noone from devs confirmed it is a design flaw (and for me it was not a known system bug), it still might be unconsidered as an issue.
If it is an issue AND design flaw, fine, devs please tell us so, I will break down the prison at once.

And i hope in some future update, some restrictions (as proposed by me) will be implemented.

until then ... i did nothing forbidden ... and requesting a ban, lol, it is like secret police, putting you in prison for something what is possibly even not any brake of law, are you out of your mind?... and I even made sure noone gets hurt by my actions.

Period.

4 minutes ago, Ahzzz said:

requesting a ban, lol, it is like secret police, putting you in prison for something what is possibly even not any brake of law, are you out of your mind?

i guess you're not able to see the irony in this, do you? :-)

hahahaha, you're simply a noob in early access multiplayer game, oh well. I have something more important to do than baby sitting you to become correct. My last advice, OTHER PLAYER IS NOT A GUINEA PIG THAT YOU CAN USE TO TRIAL AND ERROR THE GAME.

Edited by Velocifer
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, spliff (DayZ) said:

i guess you're not able to see the irony in this, do you? :-)

Did not sound like one ...

6 minutes ago, Velocifer said:

hahahaha, you're simply a noob in early access multiplayer game, oh well. I have something more important to do than baby sitting you to become correct. My last advice, OTHER PLAYER IS NOT A GUINEA PIG THAT YOU CAN USE TO TRIAL AND ERROR THE GAME.

I DONT !!! ... i do not encourage them to search for a way out of the prison, they can go somewhere else ... original intention was to create a save multiplayer environment. I am testing it myself on me.

You are not the one to say who is correct i guess?

1 hour ago, spliff (DayZ) said:

putting you in prison

does it click now? it's what you (according to this thread) do to others. but you don't seem to like the idea of it happening to you. it's textbook irony.

Ahzzz, you're not helping your case.  Every subsequent post you make only digs a deeper hole.  I suggest you drop it and salvage what you can of the situation and move on.

Bottom line is a brand new player on a server should not be hindered in the way you've shown possible.  Yes, the devs should fix it, yes you've proven your point, no you didn't need to keep the "test" going and "blackmailing" people and forcing them to "prove" anything to you about their character.  That is no longer about executing an idea and proving that it's a problem.  You did that with the first person that encountered it, and it shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone as to what the outcome would have been.

So thanks for making the issue visible for the devs to prioritize, but please stop trying to justify the subsequent behavior.  You're not changing anyone's opinion of you, and in fact, only making it worse.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Baz Foobar said:

Ahzzz, you're not helping your case.  Every subsequent post you make only digs a deeper hole.  I suggest you drop it and salvage what you can of the situation and move on.

Bottom line is a brand new player on a server should not be hindered in the way you've shown possible.  Yes, the devs should fix it, yes you've proven your point, no you didn't need to keep the "test" going and "blackmailing" people and forcing them to "prove" anything to you about their character.  That is no longer about executing an idea and proving that it's a problem.  You did that with the first person that encountered it, and it shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone as to what the outcome would have been.

So thanks for making the issue visible for the devs to prioritize, but please stop trying to justify the subsequent behavior.  You're not changing anyone's opinion of you, and in fact, only making it worse.

*shrug of shoulders*

just wanted to make it "perfect" before reporting it and closing it down ... it was possible to escape from it, even now, BUT you do have a point.

I just opened the prison ... leaving it open ;-) you can come for a visit ...

BUT
I doubt the dev's will fix this anytime soon, it does not have enough "Hate hype" which i hopped for to rise the proper attention to this issue it deserves for a quick fix...

Edited by Ahzzz
  • Downvote 1

43 minutes ago, Ahzzz said:

*shrug of shoulders*

just wanted to make it "perfect" before reporting it and closing it down ... it was possible to escape from it, even now, BUT you do have a point.

I just opened the prison ... leaving it open ;-) you can come for a visit ...

BUT
I doubt the dev's will fix this anytime soon, it does not have enough "Hate hype" which i hopped for to rise the proper attention to this issue it deserves for a quick fix...

Fair enough - I know the devs have a lot on their list, most of it players aren't privy to so I won't attempt to prioritize it for them, but I think this topic certainly has proven to be a flashpoint so hopefully it gets the necessary attention for a fix.

2 minutes ago, Baz Foobar said:

Fair enough - I know the devs have a lot on their list, most of it players aren't privy to so I won't attempt to prioritize it for them, but I think this topic certainly has proven to be a flashpoint so hopefully it gets the necessary attention for a fix.

Me2 

feel free to come for a visit ;-)

Quick suggestion? If you need to test things like this, ask for volunteers and set up a server yourself to do this test. chasing away new players from the game because they bumped into one of your, test servers, on a public server, is also chasing away future players from the game And causing the developers more money at the same time.

Edited by mid endian
Misspelling
  • Upvote 2