Shadow72

Editor Suggestions

Question

Usability

• Pressing shift while rotating a object will make it snap to angle.
  • Have keybinds for the editor(ex: R will select the rotate tool).
  • Allow people to put objects in a favorites list for easy access(Favorites list would be another tab next to Compositions).
  • Have a button that will return you to a location incase you accidentally get lost when flying around in the editor(Location will be auto set when you create a new project and can also be manually set).
  • Have a 0.5 grid option.

Compositions

• Allow grouping and ungrouping of compositions(What I mean by grouping)
  • When clicking on the edit composition button there will be a option to have whatever you have selected overwrite the composition
  • Allow you to pack multiple compositions and release them on the workshop as a Composition Pack(Will reduce flooding of small compositions on the workshop).

Player Role

• Friendly fire option
  • Role color(Have the player glow a certain color to distinguish teams)

Event Listener

• Add Player Interact With Environment listener.
  • Allow interaction drop down to be searchable

Time Trigger

• Move Repeat Count to its own drop down(Can be a little confusing having it in the Initial Delay drop down).

Particle Effect

• Have a box around it based on the scale like Trigger Zones have(So people can easily see how big the effect will be).

Basic Logic(New game logic object)

• Allow you to run basic logic based on data and then perform a action(ex: If players health is above 20 then do a action)
  • Have actions that will perform when true and actions that will perform when false.
  • Be able to check against if something is >, <, ==, or is enabled.

Actions

• Allow Show Message action to have no speaker and have the text appear on the screen(Adjustable size/position)
  • New action that will allow you to cancel the event(For Event Listener).
Edited by Shadow72
  • Upvote 2

4 replies to this bug / suggestion

Good suggestions, there are some points that i would add:

Being Able to Create New Entities: for example making compositions entities, being able to spawn compositions, to be used on triggers, it will allow creators options to make a game like a moba, when you can spawn minions with a time trigger for example

Disable Terrain Collision: Add button Disable/enable collision in editor, it's annoying to have to disable terrain just because i don't want to have collision, specially when the collision box is larger than in character mode

Make Custom Select Box: Making it easier to select specific parts of a big composition, make an ajustable box that selects everything within it when clicked.

Make Custom Creation Paint Box: Be able to fill in for example a 10x10 cube with stone blocks, or the custom size you want with the block you want. Saving a lot of time to create Bigger compositions, i know you could create what you want and make it a composition to be able to use it later, but that implies wasting time, this tool would save a lot of time and disk space for redundant stuff.

Replace Tool: select a number of entities, and then replace them by another block you want. Instead of having to delete them and then filling in the gaps with the block you want

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, chivas477 said:

Good suggestions, there are some points that i would add:

Being Able to Create New Entities: for example making compositions entities, being able to spawn compositions, to be used on triggers, it will allow creators options to make a game like a moba, when you can spawn minions with a time trigger for example

Disable Terrain Collision: Add button Disable/enable collision in editor, it's annoying to have to disable terrain just because i don't want to have collision, specially when the collision box is larger than in character mode

Make Custom Select Box: Making it easier to select specific parts of a big composition, make an ajustable box that selects everything within it when clicked.

Make Custom Creation Paint Box: Be able to fill in for example a 10x10 cube with stone blocks, or the custom size you want with the block you want. Saving a lot of time to create Bigger compositions, i know you could create what you want and make it a composition to be able to use it later, but that implies wasting time, this tool would save a lot of time and disk space for redundant stuff.

Replace Tool: select a number of entities, and then replace them by another block you want. Instead of having to delete them and then filling in the gaps with the block you want

You are already able to disable terrain collision.

596bad2fe72f4_c95a6fbc867ae5fab55f2af96fa97221(1).thumb.png.0f452ba30c31075bd7f6f96143e68630.png

Oh thank you,  missed that, don't know why its not disabled by default anyway

One thing I'd like to add to this - Some way to merge a custom game mode with an explore mode.

Specifically, I would like to be able to create a custom game mode, with the yland generation and birds that fly between them from explore mode.

I understand that this would kinda just be a rip off of explore mode, however, I find that the custom game modes are practically nullifying any use for ships (excluding specific boat battling game modes), as I see it, why build a ship at all, if the game mode consists of 1 - 5 ylands, just a raft or on foot would suffice.

Moreover, if I could spend a long time editing numerous ylands, creating puzzles and quests between them, this would be something I could incorporate ships into!

I really enjoy explore mode as it feels much more like a complete game, the other modes are fun and all, but without that aspect of the game, the other modes simply feel like mini-games, and currently don't really justify the time and effort to create them in my view.

So to reiterate, I would like to see an option when generating a new terrain in the editor, to be able to create an explore mode style generation, however possible that might be. Especially with the introduction of NPCs, having a player go between and scout them out via the vast seas and ylands, seems like a lot more fun than the mini-game style alternatives.

For me at least, the explore mode is the part of the game I enjoy, being able to create my own custom scenario of explore mode, as a game mode, would be ideal.

The main reason I feel strongly about this is that I have spent not long in the editor at all really, and already have become stuck for ideas that revolve around a single yland (or small cluster), as without ships, sailing and exploring, further - without building in most available game modes, I can only think of a few ideas, that will grow fairly boring, fairly quickly, or else they have obtainable end-games that leave you feeling lacking. 

Some examples of modes that could be made, that leave me wanting more (the explore mode)!

- Stair climbs, jump gaps, gauntlets etc.

- Towns, houses, dungeons, puzzle places etc.

- Mini-games, novelties, logic challenges, word games or clue hunting etc.

Again, if the explore mode could be utelised for new game mode creation, people could spend many hours creating some truely interesting worlds with this game and these tools, even better games than some of the current Steam games! 

But yeah, just my two cents, I really think the explore mode is being under-utilised and should be incorporated into game mode making! Rant over... :P

Edited by John - Ylanders