Sign in to follow this  
drseito

Fix the stairs

Question

I built a circular stairway which only allows one way movement.  There seems to be plenty of head clearance on the way up.  But coming down is impossible.  Replacing stairs with half-blocks seems to solve the problem.  Why is there a difference?  Is this a bug?

2 replies to this bug / suggestion

What do you mean coming down is impossible? The character won't go through?

Do you mind attaching a screenshot of those stairs to see what kind of structure we're talking about?

On 2/5/2018 at 3:48 AM, Ane said:

What do you mean coming down is impossible? The character won't go through?

Do you mind attaching a screenshot of those stairs to see what kind of structure we're talking about?

Can't do the screenshot right now, but essentially these are 4-block wide wood stairs with 6 blocks of clearance (which appears to be a minimum) from the level above.  They drop off by one as you go down.  I think the problem is when you transition from one step to next, your head hits the block in front of you at level 6 before your feet can drop one block down.  On the way up you don't have that problem since your head collision check is first?  Just guessing.  In any case, it should be consistent, i.e., if you can't go down, you should not be able to go up either.

So, here is an example.  Character can pass through this opening from the ground, but not from the stone platform.  This is definitely not what players would expect, imho.

20180208174457_1.jpg

Edited by Seito-7f815597a5e33528
rationale