Eujen

[Suggestion] Tools, Cosmetics and Slots

Question

Hello!
I am rather new to this forum but I have played Ylands over at a friends place and ever since then I've been following the game. (Going to buy it next month for myself and a couple of friends at the end of the month)
As a small 'Introduction' I am a long time Arma and Dayz player. Favorite genres, of course, RPG, Survival, Action, Adventure (Basically Ylands minus the 'RPG?')

Anyhow, I have worked previously at gaming companies such as EA and Ubisoft, and while not being proud about it, I learnt things, and the thing I learnt the most, some of the most interesting features usually get cut out because they seem 'Useless', so here I have a couple/few suggestions that will make it more interesting for the player,and they're not 'that' hard to implement (altho does require a bit of extra scripting).

P.S. I didn't actually search the forum as much since I am currently at work, and these ideas popped in my head while driving to work so I deeply apologize if these suggestions have been made already.

Tool Belt
I did notice a forum post about this but this is actually a tad different. I have played Modded Minecraft quite a lot in my day and one of my favorite mods was the 'Tool belt' mod.
I will not say what the minecraft mod does, I will simply say how I can think it would fit in Ylands (it's pretty similar to the minecraft mod)

The player can craft a Tool Belt, and when equiped on a 'waist' slot or just when having it in the inventory, it would unlock 3 extra slots on the character panel.
These slots would be : Left Hip, Right Hip, Back.

In these slots, the players can equip any tool/weapon and they would show up on the actual character model.
As an extra feature to this, in the radial menu, the player can access the tool belt and pick one of the 3 tools to use. (A holster/unholster feature)
When a tool/weapon is selected in the radial menu, the weapon disapears from the character model and shows up in their hands which they can then use.
When selecting the same tool/weapon in the radial menu, it would then get holstered, showing up back on the player model.

Backpacks
Since most of my experience with the game is from youtube videos and a short playthrough at someone else, I noticed a slight lack of 'back' items. 
So in the backpack slot, allow us to add in, besides the propeler pack, the containers that we now have, for keys, potions, herbs etc.

The container itself would still be in the characters inventory, but when dragged in the back slot, it would also show up on the character.

Face Slot
Add in a 'face' slot where the player can equip cosmetics, for example, an eye patch, for that pirate life, a monocle for the well read librarian, or a bandana around the face for the looter in us.
The above is quite self explanatory, also I know that some helmets go over the face for example the Mark 1 Helmet, and to this, comes the next suggestion!

Toggleable Cosmetics
This is quite a simple thing, add a litle checkbox between the head slot (and beside the slots added by my suggestions, like the hips, back and face slot) which when pressed, it would toggle the equiped item in that slot, invisible. Fixing any clipping issue that may occur with my suggestions and also just adding that extra bit of armor to the head without having to always see a helmet you don't like.

EDIT

Attachable Rope
This will definitely be an interesting feature to add, although a lot harder to implement. Basically allow the player to attach an end of the rope to one object, and the other end to another object. Also allow it to be attached to horses..
This can make for an interesting 'towing' feature to be added (which continues in my next suggestion)

Free Moving Chassis
This would basically be sort of an interesting mechanic if combined with the above. The player can attach the rope to a chassis that can be pulled/moved around by just pushing/pulling it
In turn allowing the player to create like sort of a wheelbarrel, or trailer that can be attached to a vehicle or horse. So when the player would drive/ride the trailer will follow along.

Grappling Hook
Combined with the above, the player can craft a grappling hook. Basically a 'throwable' rope that can attach to objects, allowing the user to then climb up on it or swing from it.. if such physics can be implemented.

'Pickup-able' object
Combined with the above, basically an object that the player can interact with and hold on to it. Basically using it for the wheelbarrel, attach this block/item to the chassis and the player can then interact with it in order to move said chassis around. This can be interesting if attached to one end of the rope, while the other end is attached to a tree or a chassis. In the first, the player can jump, grab onto the interactable end of the rope (the pickup-able object) then swing across a gap. Or pull a chassis from further apart

END OF EDIT

These are all the suggestions I currently have in mind, I would also like to photoshop some images later to give you an idea of what I had in mind.
Now.. the main part is, 'Why should we implement this?'
Well let me explain it slightly. These are mostly 'useless' features, maybe except the toolbelt one. I personally am a nerd when it comes to seeing my characters equipped with different weapons on their body and such. And it adds to the immersion. 
Some players may think this is 'useless' as well, but at the end of the day each one of us has that lil thing of wanting to make the craziest, wildest or the most badass character in terms of looks. So I think this would add to that factor.

But.. 'Why us, as a company, should we add this in if it's a useless feature?'
Well.. I was thinking at this too, and with the slight marketing experience I have.. it would add an incentive to players to actually buy skins for weapons, tools and other stuff that they can see on their character.
Currently you only see what you hold in your hand from your hotbar.. So if you only use a sword, for example, you'd buy a skin for that sword and never look at others because you can only see one weapon/tool at a time.

So having like.. (Example) 
A revolver on your right hip, a sword on your left hip and a musket on your back, that can be visible at all times, it adds an incentive to the player, to actually buy skins for those weapons, so that others can see them. And that they, as players, can see them as well after purchase.

This might be a weak suggestion in this alpha state, but since it requires a bit of scripting, it'd be easier to implement sooner rather than later, to iron out bugs and other stuff with the help of players. 

Edited by Eujen
Updated suggestions with a few more.
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

4 replies to this bug / suggestion

The original post has been edited.
Updated with a few extra suggestions.

Cheers

Solid suggestion list! Let me say a few words about each of you suggestion.

Tool Belt
I did notice a forum post about this but this is actually a tad different. I have played Modded Minecraft quite a lot in my day and one of my favorite mods was the 'Tool belt' mod.
I will not say what the minecraft mod does, I will simply say how I can think it would fit in Ylands (it's pretty similar to the minecraft mod)

The player can craft a Tool Belt, and when equiped on a 'waist' slot or just when having it in the inventory, it would unlock 3 extra slots on the character panel.
These slots would be : Left Hip, Right Hip, Back.

In these slots, the players can equip any tool/weapon and they would show up on the actual character model.
As an extra feature to this, in the radial menu, the player can access the tool belt and pick one of the 3 tools to use. (A holster/unholster feature)
When a tool/weapon is selected in the radial menu, the weapon disapears from the character model and shows up in their hands which they can then use.
When selecting the same tool/weapon in the radial menu, it would then get holstered, showing up back on the player model.

I wasn't absolutely sure about this at first, but you made some good suggestions. I mostly like the "waist" slot. It could be used not just for a Toolbelt but for Potion Bandolier or Herb Bag too. I personally want to see my character with potions hanging everywhere. :D

Backpacks
Since most of my experience with the game is from youtube videos and a short playthrough at someone else, I noticed a slight lack of 'back' items. 
So in the backpack slot, allow us to add in, besides the propeler pack, the containers that we now have, for keys, potions, herbs etc.

The container itself would still be in the characters inventory, but when dragged in the back slot, it would also show up on the character.

More backpack slot items? Sure! I can see more uses of it too. For example air bottles for divers (the Breathing mask seems overpowered same as the Propeller pack to me). It would maybe be even nice to add some slowness penalty when wearing backpacks. I don't want that everybody I meet has a stuffed backpack on his back. xD  Not as big for some small rucksack, but really recognizable for a hiking backpack with 12 extra slots.

Face Slot
Add in a 'face' slot where the player can equip cosmetics, for example, an eye patch, for that pirate life, a monocle for the well read librarian, or a bandana around the face for the looter in us.
The above is quite self explanatory, also I know that some helmets go over the face for example the Mark 1 Helmet, and to this, comes the next suggestion!

Yes. No more to say on my side. Just maybe... I want a stylish monocle!

Toggleable Cosmetics
This is quite a simple thing, add a litle checkbox between the head slot (and beside the slots added by my suggestions, like the hips, back and face slot) which when pressed, it would toggle the equiped item in that slot, invisible. Fixing any clipping issue that may occur with my suggestions and also just adding that extra bit of armor to the head without having to always see a helmet you don't like.

I have to say no this. I think that rendering anything equipped on the avatar invisible just isn't fair. I want to be sure if I go into a fist fight with a bald guy or with a knight! 

EDIT

Attachable Rope
This will definitely be an interesting feature to add, although a lot harder to implement. Basically allow the player to attach an end of the rope to one object, and the other end to another object. Also allow it to be attached to horses..
This can make for an interesting 'towing' feature to be added (which continues in my next suggestion)

I also thought about this. It would certainly be a nice cosmetic feature. Maybe something like nodes would help?

Free Moving Chassis
This would basically be sort of an interesting mechanic if combined with the above. The player can attach the rope to a chassis that can be pulled/moved around by just pushing/pulling it
In turn allowing the player to create like sort of a wheelbarrel, or trailer that can be attached to a vehicle or horse. So when the player would drive/ride the trailer will follow along.

This starts to sound like medieval engineers. I like it! But I would certainly wait till moving objects are more reliable in the world of Ylands. 

Grappling Hook
Combined with the above, the player can craft a grappling hook. Basically a 'throwable' rope that can attach to objects, allowing the user to then climb up on it or swing from it.. if such physics can be implemented.

I believe that devs already played around with the idea of adding advanced physics (please, don't take me for word, too tired to fact check at the moment) so this would be a nice addition. But maybe a ladder climbing animation would be enough for me. :D

'Pickup-able' object
Combined with the above, basically an object that the player can interact with and hold on to it. Basically using it for the wheelbarrel, attach this block/item to the chassis and the player can then interact with it in order to move said chassis around. This can be interesting if attached to one end of the rope, while the other end is attached to a tree or a chassis. In the first, the player can jump, grab onto the interactable end of the rope (the pickup-able object) then swing across a gap. Or pull a chassis from further apart

It seems like I'm really tired because sorry, I didn't quite understand this. You want the player to be able to grab a rope into his hands (basically connect himself on one end)? That could be also a handy feature. You get it? Handy. Allright, allright, I will get some sleep.

Edited by Miguel Preguisa
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, Miguel Preguisa said:

You're right about the toggle. I was mostly thinking it would work in conjunction with the new 3 slots like the tools/weapons. Since if you have a fancy suit.. you wouldn't want to show your musket, rusty sword and pickaxe on you. So when they are toggled invisible, they'd still act as hotbar items. (and I'm just not a personal fan of helmets xD mostly why I said it would work for the helmet slot too. But yea, on closer inspection. Keep the helmet slot as is, maybe just add it to my 'Tool Belt' items.)
Also loved your idea for the potions everywhere cosmetic with the belt :D That is actually a really smart idea!
Would work really well with what I had in mind..
Say..:
Weapon Belt/Holster - 3 weapon slots, back, right hip, left hip. 
Potion Belt - 3 Slots again but instead you can only place potions in those 3 new added slots
Tool Slot - same as above, can only add tools like a fishing pole, a pickaxe etc
etc etc.

'Pickup-able' object

It seems like I'm really tired because sorry, I didn't quite understand this. You want the player to be able to grab a rope into his hands (basically connect himself on one end)? That could be also a handy feature. You get it? Handy. Allright, allright, I will get some sleep.

Right, I gotta apologize for that too. Was at work (and new day.. so there I am again) and I couldn't actually focus to find the correct term. Though let me give you an example of what I had in mind.
Think of this 'object' like a.. Ring.. or a Hook. That Ring/Hook can be placed on any object. Be it a tree or.. the side of a car or under a ship or on one end of the rope.
The player can interact with the Hook (we'll go with hook for now) and then the avatar would grab it with both his/her hands and hold onto it. 

The idea behind the Hook was that it could work in conjunction with the rope. You can attach one end of the rope to a vehicle, for example, then the hook to the other end of the rope. So when the player would grab onto the hook. if the vehicle is moving, they'd be dragged along.
Another example would be, attach the hook underneath a ship, Have one player move the ship on the open seas, and another player equiped with a breathing mask can hold onto the hook underneath the ship. So the player that's in the water, can basically scan for resources or whatever it may be. 
Hope it now makes more sense. I'm quite tired myself so I apologize again xD 

P.S. 
The Grappling hook, I was thinking can be sort of used the same as the Hook. ^ Drop it on the ground, attach one end of the rope to the grappling hook, the player can then grab the grappling hook with the rope attached to it and then throw it.

The idea of the rope, wasn't purely cosmetic as it was more for function. Since you can have both ends of the rope attached to different things.. (And actually you said something I didn't think about. You can definitely use it for cosmetic purposes, paint it black or something and make it look like a cable. I like it)
But yea. The rope would have worked as a link between different objects. A car and a trailer for example. Or a horse and a trailer. 
Could also be used to pull a 'wrecked' ship. Tie one or more ropes to the back of your ship then tie the other end on another ship. 

Yea that COULD be somewhat used for griefing, but there are ways to go around that. Say it'd only work on objects created by the same user or something along those lines.

Ok this P.S. is getting rather long. So I'll just add this one thing and then leave it there xD .
The Free Moving Chasis I was thinking, could be the 'Poor Man's Vehicle'. I was actually thinking at medieval engineers when I said that. The chasis would be cheap to make, wooden wheels or whatever. Think of a cart. And would not allow Engines or Steering Wheels/Driver seats to be placed on it.  But would allow like chests or other blocks to be placed on it. So the player, combining it with the Rope.. and the Interactable Hook. could have a cart or a minecart on an island.

Player crafts the Wooden/Free Moving Chassis, they then place two or three chests onto it
Player Attaches one end of the rope on the chassis and then attaches the other end to the Interactable Hook that I detailed a bit above.
Player can then interact with the hook and drag the newly made 'Cart' around with them.

As to why I added these objects all as separate instead of saying 'Make a wheelbarrel, make a cart, make this or that' was to inspire creativity from players. If you have tools you can attach together with other objects.. your mind can go like 'Ok.. so what can I do if I put this there and that there.' etc etc. So instead of the devs giving us a Cart for example. They can give us the tools to create a cart ourselves and then finding a way to take it with us. Attach a rope with a hook and pul it, or put two poles/logs on the side of the cart and then push it? 
But ye. that was it mostly xD

Cheers.

Edited by Eujen
  • Upvote 1