Hattrix

Multiplayer private server crash = lose ALL progress

Question

We're running a private server.

The server crashes (that's ok since this is early access and these things happen).

When we restart the server, it generates a new map/world and we've lost all progress.

Where is the save world file? Why does it overwrite the world? Wouldn't it just use the current world?

4 replies to this bug / suggestion

Put the save file info in the DsConfig.json?

{
  "SessionDataType" : "YlandFile",
  "SessionData" : "C:\Games\ylands\YlandsDsInstances\JiF-Explore\SessionSave.ylandsgame",
  "SavePath":"C:\Games\ylands\YlandsDsInstances\JiF-Explore\SessionSave.ylandsgame",
  "nMaxPlayers" : 4,
  "Password" : "XXXXX",
  "Name" : "JiF F.O.G. Explore"
}

This should probably be in the dedicated server forum.

Edited by grimp
  • Upvote 1

Grimp, thanks for the reply ...... but I don't know what you're trying say.

Are you asking if I ..... "Put the save file info in the DsConfig.json?"

or

Are you telling me to ... "Put the save file info in the DsConfig.json?"

How does your advice solve my problem? We've spent HOURS on advancing our characters and bases and it's all gone. I can't believe the save world file just gets overwritten like that.

To be honest, my buddy runs the server and he set everything up, so I really don't know how he did it. All I know is how other games I've set up (Ark, Minecraft, Space Engineers, Empyrion, Terraria) have done their save world files and so far, this game doesn't seem to do it like others do which seems ... odd... because the other games' system seems to work. Why reinvent the wheel?

Yes put the paths into the DsConfig.json file.

These 3 lines with your paths or every time it restarts it will start a new game I believe.

I think the SessionDataType being YlandFile tells it to look for a file. SessionData tells it where that file is. Savepath tells it where to save progress (same as SessionData).

"SessionDataType" : "YlandFile",
  "SessionData" : "C:\Games\ylands\YlandsDsInstances\JiF-Explore\SessionSave.ylandsgame",
  "SavePath":"C:\Games\ylands\YlandsDsInstances\JiF-Explore\SessionSave.ylandsgame",

I use built in Windows File History to back it up regularly. That way if there is corruption or other strange issue I can just shutdown the server right click on the save file and select a previous version. So far it has worked out.

Edited by grimp
  • Upvote 1

If your json file still shows BuiltIn for the SessionDataType and Explore for the SessionData then every time the game server is started, it will generate a new map.

I'm not sure if it overwrites SessionSave.ylandsgame every time or if it keeps a copy - so check the files in your instance directory to see what you have.  If it's just one copy of SessionSave.ylandsgame, and no other similarly named files, then it's likely overwritten and your progress is gone.  New version 0.7 doesn't generate a new map by the way, it detects the old one and just loads that.

Edited by Baz Foobar