Ane

Q&A video - ask us anything!

Hi guys!

In a couple weeks we'll be shooting a Questions & Answers video and well... we need questions we can answer :D

So if you're curious about ANYTHING Ylands related (in can be about some specific feature, future plans, the team itself... anything), leave it in a comment below! We'll try to reply as many questions as possible.

facebook_com---Ylands_Q&A_v02-560x315-02_2018.jpg

You've got until March 4th. Let the questioning begin! :D

Thanks!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Alright, It's an honor for me to post first question in the forum. I've been having this question since the 24 hours of my Ylands experience(now it's above 400 hours ).

• What is your plan for Editor in the near future?
  •  [Editor] Is there will be custom texture terrain? (when you make custom island at the middle of generated ocean, the texture terrain is really basic and sometimes it show weird texture),
  • [Editor] How about specific weather or temperature on specific spot that you can set in Editor?
  • [Editor] Is it gonna be possible to scale up/down( I mean to set entity bigger or smaller) the entity ( like statue, plants, etc)?
  • [Editor] Is it gonna be possible to select and then import another ylands to current yland you're working on?
  • (Optional) A bit personal here, how old are each member of Ylands Team and what's their relationship status (single, in relationship, married, waiting for a miracle)? xD

Sorry there are a lot of question about Editor, since I'm still learning to become Creator.

Edited by Velocifer
  • Upvote 1

1) What's the next (or final) version of the barrier gonna be like? How can we get more barriers, how can we share access to them, how do they apply to vehicles?

2) There have been a few references to flying vehicles, what can we likely expect? Helicopters, air ships or airplanes? And will they be buildable like the current cars and ships?

3) What's the next gaming show/place where we can find you? I enjoyed meeting a lot of you at last year's GamesCom :) 

4) Is there any news on the ingame shop? New items, ways of earning coyns etc.?

Thanks! :) 

Edited by WijkagentAdrie

Ooo! Thanks for doing this! 

1. How many users will servers be able to have once this game is released?
  2. Are you aware of the lag/reset issues servers are having?
Edited by RedEagle_MGN

Thanks for all of your effort and bringing us such a great game!

Can you give us any more hints as to what will be in the update featuring a “whole new world”. Does this mean new biomes, plants, animals, parallel universes? What crazy things are you guys planning for this update?

• Upvote 1

Mainly DS Questions from me:

• In a earlier Setup Guide for DS, i saw something mentioning that Feb 2018, would be the month DS would get some focus, is that still true or pushed back?
  • Is there going to be a Linux version any time soon? if ever? really would love this, windows hosting is too expensive, shared hosting is not great either.
  • If linux is not planned for a long time, will the RAM/Memory usage ever be optimized?
  • When will we be able to Customize our servers? such as config file for: PvE, PvP, Timescale (e.g 48 > 90mins), weather, character management, moderation options, etc
  • As the world file grows the delay to get onto said server takes longer, is there any plans to fix this? I think this has also something to do with network disconnections.
  • Is there any plans to combine the Tail and Headless into a single console window? making it interactive and also having a visual console for hosting providers.

When is the 114 Disconnects, Layer, disconnects, going to be fixed? this update needs a hotfix for DS Servers/clients it's broken, if do anything that makes the server think and  you're out and d/c.

Edited by Energritz_

Hey guys! love the game and can't wait to see what is released in the future!

1: I know someone already asked about flying vehicles but i was curious about ground vehicles. Is there any kind of train or mine cart planned?

2: With the mine cart in mind, do you plan to spawn resources deeper down? right now theres no limit to how deep you can dig (or at least seems that way). Do you plan to generate ores, crystals etc randomly/in pockets below the surface?

3: I spend all of my time in editor but when playing in game i remember finding diamonds.
At present they have no recipe that uses them but i was curious what is planned for them in the future and what other minerals etc you plan to add? When actively playing, i Spend most of my time mining.

4: Going back to editor, as i said, i spend all of my time in there. I love trying to create challenges for player and i was curious about what additions are planned? maybe some sound blocks where the pitch and length can be controlled?

A side note: the ability to flick a switch back when using logic before its completed one action would be useful for a few things (ie being able to string multiple uses together in a quick rhythm).

Thanks again!

Secret mole man

Edited by Stephenw1992

Nice idea, looking forward to the video like always.

My question is, are you planning to implement recipes for more drinks beside the already present coconut drinks? How does slicing e.g. a pineapple in halves benefit eating in opposite if whole and can we see more combined foods like the pizza and the stews in the future? Hamburgers would be great, maybe even creating own recipes by combining ingredients, a bit similar to the Alchemy table?

A lot of food related stuff, because i am hungry...

• Upvote 1

Remember that you have until the end of this week! ;)

• Thanks 1

Hello, it's a fantastic game
There are the questions.
- Will it be possible to copy sections of land in the editor?
- Can you create vehicles from 0 starting from a single block?
- Could the ship's hold be usable space?
- I greatly support the idea of some type of flying vehicle maybe cyberpunk style. Would you like to know if the issue has been raised?
-Will the crystals have any more use? Maybe I could link them in the weapons to make them more powerful? fire, ice, electricity ...
- Will the illumination block change color or will it always be green?

thank you very much for your great work :)

I've also put this in the dev diary, but could you maybe show us around the ylands/bohemia building? And not only the building, also show us some more about the processes you guys go through to make decisions, come up with concepts, show us some cool concept arts (also for things that didn't make it into the game!), and also how a bug gets fixed from the moment it gets reported, all the way to the moment a working fix gets delivered. I believe that by showing this you will be able to provide more transparency, the forums feel quite "2d", sometimes even like a wall. People put in bug reports and (after some time) a fix comes out. If people can see why it sometimes takes a certain amount of time before the fix is out, there will be a bigger understanding overall :) 

Adrie

Hey Ane and the rest of the Ylands team. I have to say... Ylands has to be the best game value for money wise that I've purchased in the last 2/3 years.
I'm fast closing in on 500 hours of game play. Fantastic job on creating something so relaxing yet engaging for us to play.

Game Questions:

1. Do you have a rough period of time for when the pet's/extra furniture will be added?

2. Could you give us a sneak preview or mentioned a couple of the pets that will be introduced?

3. Do you have any plans to add more building blocks/structures in the future, if so could we get teaser of what we could expect?

4. Will at some stage all the items available in the editor mode be craftable in survivor mode?  

5. Any chance you have some items that can be made from gold in the workshop?

6. How far away we you from fixing the map in multiplayer? And have you given any thought to the post about making the world round :P

7. In the future what other miscellaneous items will be added? Tools belt( for all your tools)/block container(for all building materials)/food basket( for food storage) for e.g

8. Is their any chance that you'll be able to add the vendors via editor to your Single player game? Or if you can do so already how can we do this?

9. What direction are you looking to take Ylands in the future? More futuristic? Keeping with the medieval times, or will it be up to the individual how they play the game as you'll offer a mixture of both?  

10. How many major bugs need to be fixed before full release?

11. I've noticed that in the past, once a game goes Full Release that the Devs move onto new projects and stop worrying about any new updates/maintaining or adding any new features. Can we hope that this won't happen with the Ylands team?

12. Could the Dev's talk/show us how the workshop works? I'd love to be able to download some of the items but all I seem to do is subscribe to them, and also how to up load your own creations

13. Would you consider adding in either a right click wake up option or another wake up time of early morning at 3:00am for the perfect sunrises.

14. Will you add any more animals to Ylands and what are some of them?

15. Any chance of adding some more uses for the animals, like food produce (pizza, milk, cheese, more bakeable goods)/buildable items? (different clothing options)

None in game questions:

1. Who came up with the idea of Ylands and what inspired you to make the game?

2. How many members of the Ylands team are their? And how did you all get together?

3. Do the Ylands team have any other hobbies/interests and what are they?

4.What were the first games each of the Ylands team played and how did you get into gaming?

5. Some fun, I'm Australian.. any chance you want to give these words ago:

A) G'day mate howzit goin?

B) She'll be right

C) In the middle of woop woop

D) Fair dinkum mate

Thank you, Chief.

Edited by Mitch Treader
typo

WIll the intermediary tools (axe, knife, sewing kit, saw, etc.) used to make other items ever become more robust? A sewing kit can only make 10 awning blocks before breaking!?

How large (number of islands) do you envision the world being when you're done? 

Do you intend to have larger islands? Cars are merely novelty, when you can run the perimeter of an yland in only a few minutes

Could there be caves that have openings on more than one yland?

Can we have the ability to name chests to help us get more organized?

Do you have plans for any type of "redstone" mechanics?

Having a blast in single player so my questions relate to that, haven't even touched multi-player yet!

1. Can the map be made so it can be zoomed fully out, to make it easier to see which areas of ocean have been explored and where discovered islands are in relation to one another? It's very "zoomed in" currently, and a little hard to use when a few islands have been discovered!

2. Will larger maps with more islands eventually be a thing? Or even infinitely, or at least on the scale of something like Minecraft? If this isn't possible, perhaps some way of taking your ship and resources to a new set of islands whereby you can't return to the old ones? (I'm aware some have mentioned a kinda DIY approach to doing just this!)

3. Might there be an easier way eventually of finding caves and caverns that are blocked off and you have to dig your way to, other than using the first person glitch?

4. Some ideas for items and devices: A geophysical aid in relation to the above like a Ground Penetrating Radar, also maybe a sonar system for mapping the ocean bed under a ship, such as that in Subnautica.

5. Are you working on a solution to a lot of mobs still getting stuck/glitched in the ground or scenery?

6. Any scope for some tougher baddies, perhaps bosses, or fighting NPCs?

7. Both my friend and I (and others so I have read) have good rigs but get frequent lag spikes in single player, sometimes for several seconds, which can be...problematic! These seem to increase as we explore further, which makes sense if related to autosaving (we don't litter a lot) but might there be a fix for this soon? Also is the game autosaving in case of a crash? As otherwise, it needs to be saved manually on exit similar to Minecraft, so is an autosave every few seconds really necessary? Perhaps a manual setting (rather than ini file editing) for the frequency?

Ooookay that's more than I'd intended, Cheers!

• Upvote 1

Can we have a way to make withered trees? I'd suggest a bonfire within x range of a tree can wither it

What about burnt trees?

10 hours ago, KingWingit said:

Can we have a way to make withered trees? I'd suggest a bonfire within x range of a tree can wither it

What about burnt trees?

Maybe if we could set fire to a tree with flint lighter it would turn the tree into a burnt one and then we could harvest it as an alternative source for charcoal

1) Can the developers add "pens" for storing animals inside so we can transport them via ship or car if the car is hopefully big enough? So that way our animals wont disappear magically.

2) Can you describe more in details about the new world you are improving on? The current one imo is too small. You can sail and find all the islands within a day or 2 if you travel dedicatedly non stop.

3) Does multi-player have a feature that anyone being admin can in turn host the game itself and play while the original host is not available? If you do not,  will you implement this feature or is it too difficult?

4) Is more items/toys going to be added in the future? Right now the list seems limited.

4.5) If more items are planned to be added, once the game reaches 1.0 out of early access, will you guys stop adding items?

5) Will you guys ever release a friendly casual creator + explorer mode with infinite building materials just to do casual exploring without the survival aspect?

Will we be able to generate our own explorer maps in the editor? 

Will the editor limit us to a single biome? 

Can we adjust distance between islands in map generation through both editor a creative start? 

Will blocks of terrain ever be a thing?  We can already place sand, dirt and gravel by holding and it kind of glooping it out but its kind of haphazard and acts differently when facing different directions.

Will mannequins ever be a thing?  I'm betting it's in the plan somewhere because of the variety of clothing we are able to find.

Any idea when the QNA will go ahead? I heard it was going to be on the 4th of March but it's been and gone and I can't find anything?

4 hours ago, Mitch Treader said:

Any idea when the QNA will go ahead? I heard it was going to be on the 4th of March but it's been and gone and I can't find anything?

4th of March was the deadline for you guys to ask questions :) The video will be released later this month!

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Energritz_ said:

eta on video? it's nearing the end of the month.

This week probably :)

• Like 1