ComR

Vendors and composition bugs in explore games

Question

Hi,

I'm very happy to see vendors, and I have found many bugs, I hope it will help you:

First problem is random compositions in explore mode, I hoped you will repair it, and I can see you made some changes, but it still do not work proprly:

1) Compositions now tries to flatten the ground, but it doesn't work for simple camps, teepees and things like "fireplaces".  It worked very well after first Steam release, but then I guess island generating changed and most of the findings are partially underground, built on steep hills and so - completely broken and I suppose - they there generated underground too, so they fell into the earth and dissappear. Why I think that? Sometimes I can find random part of simple compositions I know - for example graveyard, bandits' camp, simple explorer's camp and so one - problem is, in many cases I can find only part of the camp - and there is no rest of it. Digging is not helping at all - there is nothing - I think it have fallen underground. But, new flatten idea for Vendors' houses works... almost. Sometimes vendors' houses spawn under a mountain and  sometimes part of mountain is levitating over traders' houses (I'm attaching screenshot).

2) Fishermen are usually spawned by the sea... but, if there is a mountain - fisherman is buried underground and he's constantly jumping. I digged him out and then I've found even more strange glitch:

3) Vendors are spawned even few times... Sometimes there is one vendor, sometimes it's two of them, sometimes it's three vendors. It's the same person,  they have the same items (before and after trade with me). They are actinge speraratelly,  they arerotated in different directions, but when I'm talking to any of them - they all are talking the same thing and they are faced towads me. It's nt a problem with all vendors - problem I mentioned I saw with fisherman (always two of them) and woman selling... I dn't remember - but new one, stand by the sea with blue-white anwils. I have no idea why - but sometimes there is one and sometimes there is three of them in different places, but still in the booth.

4) I guess it's something happenning everytime - I had no problems trading at all, even if traders were glitching, but in one case I managed to break trade. Trade was close, I needed one more pebble to add and I realised that traders sometimes want to buy flowers or herbs, so, I opened my herb bag and added herbs they wanted to the trade list.  I hit "trade" and error showed up: "FAILED", but everything seeemed to be ok, so I added few more thing (I thought trader wants more), and then "FAILED" showed again and... I lost all my items I had for sale and... trader also lost everything I wanted to buy from him... I can only guess, but I guess, if you have anything in herb basgs, soil boxes or jars - you should move thse to your main inventry before trade. If you try to sel anything from your "bags" - trading will break.

5) I understand why you want traders to be invincible, but it makes whole game wrong. It's not sandbox anymore. I understand that traders are not full AI entities for now, but making anything "invincible" makes game worthless. I know we are playing alpha stage game, but, please, make traders possible to kill. Any player will not gain anything by killing and robbing traders, but it will fit idea of the game. It would be great if for now you will make them mortal and leaving all their stuff after being dead - after all everyone can kill us and steal our stuff, right?! Instead of making trades invincible - as most of stupid games used to do - Let them die. Player can die - so, make it realistic. The simpliest way to make it nice and working is - if you kill any trader - you can take everything from him, but... you have to wait for new vendor to appear - if... he will reappear at all.

I think Ylands idea is to make realistic game. It would be much better if you loose vendor forever if you kill him, than making him invincible. Invincible NPC's is something we could see long time ago - it was stupid and unrealistic. Please, make this game different. If you kill vendor, you can have eerything he have/she has, but pity - no trading for you anymore.

Please, think about it.
ComR

Ylands_180218_152206.png

9 replies to this bug / suggestion

On 2/21/2018 at 7:15 AM, ComR said:

3) Vendors are spawned even few times... Sometimes there is one vendor, sometimes it's two of them, sometimes it's three vendors. It's the same person,  they have the same items (before and after trade with me). They are actinge speraratelly,  they arerotated in different directions, but when I'm talking to any of them - they all are talking the same thing and they are faced towads me. It's nt a problem with all vendors - problem I mentioned I saw with fisherman (always two of them) and woman selling... I dn't remember - but new one, stand by the sea with blue-white anwils. I have no idea why - but sometimes there is one and sometimes there is three of them in different places, but still in the booth.

I think I've encountered this too now. There were about 3 of the same NPCs standing in basically the same spot. You can just see in this photo, it is more obvious in-game when they are slightly moving

20180223091459_1.jpg

I encountered   2  vendors   in mp .. the first time i   approached there was  one in the booth ,   but   2  days  later there were identical  twins propositioning  me :D

• Upvote 1

On 2/21/2018 at 1:15 AM, ComR said:

Any player will not gain anything by killing and robbing traders, but it will fit idea of the game.

Hmmh, and then here..

The simpliest way to make it nice and working is - if you kill any trader - you can take everything from him, but... you have to wait for new vendor to appear - if... he will reappear at all.

Sorry I'm detecting something fishy at point 5, your statement there doesn't make any sense. If you can take stuff from dead trader, that means you gain something. And that's example of "exploit". If trader can be dead and respawn with all their stuff, then forever you will kill them and take their stuff, thats how it works. If the trader can be dead but won't respawn, that means you "turn off" someone opportunity to be able to trade with traders, and gain advantage for yourself by looting traders dead body. And in multiplayer games that is big No No. xD Enough for your point 5, I believe there are reasons why Devs currently make traders 'indestructible'. Here are example of reasons I can think of:

• Traders/human NPC don't react to damage you give, they can't use weapon to attack you or simply they don't have "aggressive mode" AI behavior. 
  • It's new features, lets introduce this to everybody.
  • There can be "game breaking bug" that hidden behind dead human NPCs.
  • Exploiting bug/glitch is sucks.

5) I understand why you want traders to be invincible, but it makes whole game wrong. It's not sandbox anymore. I understand that traders are not full AI entities for now, but making anything "invincible" makes game worthless. I know we are playing alpha stage game, but, please, make traders possible to kill. Any player will not gain anything by killing and robbing traders, but it will fit idea of the game. It would be great if for now you will make them mortal and leaving all their stuff after being dead - after all everyone can kill us and steal our stuff, right?! Instead of making trades invincible - as most of stupid games used to do - Let them die. Player can die - so, make it realistic. The simpliest way to make it nice and working is - if you kill any trader - you can take everything from him, but... you have to wait for new vendor to appear - if... he will reappear at all.

I think Ylands idea is to make realistic game. It would be much better if you loose vendor forever if you kill him, than making him invincible. Invincible NPC's is something we could see long time ago - it was stupid and unrealistic. Please, make this game different. If you kill vendor, you can have eerything he have/she has, but pity - no trading for you anymore.

On 23.02.2018 at 2:03 AM, handofthesly said:

I think I've encountered this too now. There were about 3 of the same NPCs standing in basically the same spot. You can just see in this photo, it is more obvious in-game when they are slightly moving

20180223091459_1.jpg

Yes, I have the same problem, but it's a good thing. ;) If you manage to choose one by one - you can take gold or anything you want from everyone separatelly. ;)

On 23.02.2018 at 2:13 AM, kimbuck said:

I encountered   2  vendors   in mp .. the first time i   approached there was  one in the booth ,   but   2  days  later there were identical  twins propositioning  me :D

Yes, I meet usually 2 or 3 of them. :D

On 23.02.2018 at 6:03 AM, Velocifer said:

Hmmh, and then here..

Sorry I'm detecting something fishy at point 5, your statement there doesn't make any sense. If you can take stuff from dead trader, that means you gain something. And that's example of "exploit". If trader can be dead and respawn with all their stuff, then forever you will kill them and take their stuff, thats how it works. If the trader can be dead but won't respawn, that means you "turn off" someone opportunity to be able to trade with traders, and gain advantage for yourself by looting traders dead body. And in multiplayer games that is big No No. xD Enough for your point 5, I believe there are reasons why Devs currently make traders 'indestructible'. Here are example of reasons I can think of:

• Traders/human NPC don't react to damage you give, they can't use weapon to attack you or simply they don't have "aggressive mode" AI behavior. 
  • It's new features, lets introduce this to everybody.
  • There can be "game breaking bug" that hidden behind dead human NPCs.
  • Exploiting bug/glitch is sucks.

If you kill trader you gain all you can take from him, but you loose trader... Loosing trader forever would be very bad, but if he will be back ater we weeks - that should be painfully enought, don't you think? If you have vendor around everyday - you can make good money and buy things you need, but if you do not have anything and vendor is reach - maybe killing vendor would be good idea for starting the game. ;)

At last Ylands could have options, like "Don't starve": "Many resorces", "less resources", rich vendors", "no vendors", "invincible vendors", "aggressive enemies", "no enemies" and so on. There is noo agrument why not such settings for Explore and MP games, right? It works well in Rimworld and many other games. Addidionally, they are people who like "hardcore survival games"- I'm not one of them, but different sets of otions would be great. Custom games are always fun...

All The Best,
ComR

1 hour ago, ComR said:

At last Ylands could have options, like "Don't starve": "Many resorces", "less resources", rich vendors", "no vendors", "invincible vendors", "aggressive enemies", "no enemies" and so on. There is noo agrument why not such settings for Explore and MP games, right? It works well in Rimworld and many other games. Addidionally, they are people who like "hardcore survival games"- I'm not one of them, but different sets of otions would be great. Custom games are always fun...

I believe at the stable version in the future this such a thing will be available. If not by Ylands devs, then there is  mod. Why not right now you may ask? Take a look at Creative mode generator, it works but has so many flaws. As you can see, currently in each big update Devs always polishing explore mode generator. No players can set its randomness, why? Oh well, there are might be big plans for that. Just wait.xD

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Velocifer said:

I believe at the stable version in the future this such a thing will be available. If not by Ylands devs, then there is  mod. Why not right now you may ask? Take a look at Creative mode generator, it works but has so many flaws. As you can see, currently in each big update Devs always polishing explore mode generator. No players can set its randomness, why? Oh well, there are might be big plans for that. Just wait.xD

Yeah, I will wait.... Especially for modding tools, so we could not only suggest, but also fix small bugs in the game as quantities of seeds, wrong descriptions, wrong attributes or "sizes" (some items are bigger than they are, some items are there, but cannot be seen or taken etc. I thing that many little bugs could be fixed just by community and help Devs a bit. I'm waiting, I'm waiting! :D

I'm starting to find more of these duplicate vendors. This one scared me a bit xD Their name is Ruth.

20180302093844_1.jpg