kimbuck

MP game virtually unplayable due to avatar freezing ..and then death onrejoin minus all belongings

Question

All these days   building up a base... and   enduring  a constant  procession of  MP   bugs which  saw me  freeze  over and over again ... requiring a  rejoin .   sometimes   4  times in an hour!  finally  decided to test my  ship and made it back to  the  original spawn  Yland. The seas around the  spawn point  are littered with  abandoned  rafts and   floating  bodies ..obviously  victims of the  104  network layer  issue.

After  landing  and  checking out the  area    went back to boat and refueled the engines ...moved to ship bow and stood on bowsprit  which  was over land -  and   surveyed area .. then   the dreaded   lag/freeze  bug hit ... i  couldn't  move  or acces inventory for    food ...only  option was to   go back to main menu and rejoin

And  guess what ...yes ...rejoined  to  find   i had  drowned  ..lost  everything ...>:(

respawned  adjacent to  my ship ..and   looked around ...no   corpse..no belongings ..   nothing...     empty inventory ... so i am  faced with  starting all over again from zero and i  do not like that

So  a warning to all  players ...  use  your  ship  or  raft at your own risk as there is a 90%  chance you will not make it to your destination..and all your hard work  will be undone

I read others  are  discouraged  about this  happening...and its  not their  fault .  I sympathize with them. I am getting  just as  discouraged  as they are.

MP is  useless  and  almost  unplayable ...which is  so  sad.:S

output_log.txt

output_log_clean.txt

Edited by kimbuck
spelling errors do to frustrated attitude
  • Upvote 1

10 replies to this bug / suggestion

This is why I’m delaying building a ship to find rubber and copper since spawn on this server has neither. My last hairy encounter with a wolf pack went very wrong when I was disconnected with the 114 error and then upon logging back in I found I had almost been mauled to death. Very scary stuff 

Fortunately  i had  hidden spare keys to the ship and other stuff  ( i wont say  where:D) ..and managed to unlock and  refuel ship and  get back to my  base.

I prudently  took  with me  as little as possible  personally, and  had  some back  up supplies of  food  etc on the  ship.

holding my breath i made it back but it was slow  and stuttery.. ...    everything would  freeze for  2 minutes   then suddenly  back  in action and  nearly  ran over the yland!

I have   some  copper and   lots of  rubber   on my   yland...its    nth / west   of the spawn island ..unfortunately    my body was carrying a  coal bucket  with nearly  800   units of  coal for  fuel and steel making,,,  that's  apparently  lost now.

Since back on  base i have  had  3  of those  errors  in an hour ...   and   4  in an hour  prior to leaving  spawn  island.

Exploration?  forget it by ship!  and  try to  stop frequently  on places where  you can   defend yourself.. as its  no  fun  coming back  sitting on the ground   unarmed  with a bear  slobbering  all over you.

:|

I agree, MP since the 0.7 update has been very frustrating.  I'm going to set up a parallel server this weekend to do some experiments to try and find out what eventually causes performance degradation to go bad.  The server started out fine but at some point within the last couple of days, it's become almost unplayable.  I'm not sure if it's a result of players exploring the map, building out their structures, creating objects, or what.  I know it's not due to bodies lying around because I've been cleaning that up every couple of days (will be doing it again today with all the recent death at sea from network layer disconnects).

Note to anyone playing on the Foobar server - I keep backups of the gamefile around for a week so if you ever loose something, let me know on our Discord server or on here and I'll do my best to get you straightened out either immediately in-game, or by the next server maintenance with some editor work for more complicated restores.  Also to the same audience - due to this terrible playability situation we're in currently, we may have to restart the map from scratch again.  And this time, I'm reluctant to bring compositions over in case that's contributing to the problem.

14 minutes ago, bb cakes said:

Wow. Ok. So keep anything important in personal inventory? 

Not sure yet - will try different things this weekend to see what works and what causes the server to have a bad day.  Once I know more I'll advise of what our next steps will be and give everyone time to prepare accordingly.  For now, assume business as usual (assuming you can even play through the current issues).

6 minutes ago, RedEagle_MGN said:

I reset my active server 7 times a day to get people in due to lag. 

I have to wipe the server daily.

I've been resetting at least 3 times a day so far.  I have not wiped since the 0.7 release though.  Players have made significant builds that I'd hate to lose, and I'm beginning to wonder if importing compositions from previous maps has added fuel to the fire of performance degradation...

I'm contemplating of moving back to VPS just to poke around and see whats going on, and having backups on a frequent schedule might be the best idea till this is fixed.