Sign in to follow this  
svisketyggeren

Textures..

Any plans to slap on some more detailed textures on stuff in the game? Looks really boring as it is now...everything just blends togehter in fruity color mash because nothing has any detailed textures on it.

Edited by svisketyggeren

On 24/02/2018 at 10:03 PM, svisketyggeren said:

Any plans to slap on some more detailed textures on stuff in the game? Looks really boring as it is now...everything just blends togehter in fruity color mash because nothing has any detailed textures on it.

The game is focused on low poly details and texturing, they might add more variety in the future but in general, the low poly textures and detail enables player to build bigger structures and things. its a lot less work to run low poly, low resolution entites compared with higher detailed versions. small additions in detail can make a huge difference in performance

On 3/3/2018 at 9:24 PM, Stephenw1992 said:

The game is focused on low poly details and texturing, they might add more variety in the future but in general, the low poly textures and detail enables player to build bigger structures and things. its a lot less work to run low poly, low resolution entites compared with higher detailed versions. small additions in detail can make a huge difference in performance

I wont go into any technical claims, but I dont get the impression that other voxel building game with more detailed graphics have major issues or limitations in that way. I remember Landmark had a limit as to how many blocks or props u could place on a claim....but really, if a player wanted to build something huge, he could.

The one thing that I noticed about colors and textures is for instance the wooden beam (just one example) appears to have 2 colors and if there is a way to actually paint both of those colors I could not figure it out.  I'm very familiar with the scam that was landmark,  they never could figure out how to render any of the builds past a pretty close distance if you moved just a claim space away everything turned into one huge giant melted crayon looking mess that was only appealing to the biggest and most ardent fans of the game,  all 16 of them.   That's not fun and i believe that's why they cancelled everquest next saying they couldn't make it fun.  Imagine a AAA game developer who couldn't make a game fun.

I think so far the Ylands team is doing a pretty decent job balancing game with graphics.  We won't know how well they did until 1.0 I suspect.

2 hours ago, bb cakes said:

Do you have any plans to start more topics about textures?

The other post wasnt about textures, if u read the post properly u would know that. U guys made it into a post about textures...not really my problem. If u look at the other thread u will se that ur the first one to reply...and u start talking about graphics.

So I would ask u back...do u plan on derailing any other threads, so they can be about textures?

Now, I enjoy a good debate...and even with guys like u that get a little excited and defend ur game with nonrelevant arguments. But ur really to sloppy and not even a challenge to rebuttal. The only form of argumentation ur missing now is a comment about spelling mistakes, then u have reached full forum retard. Ill make that easy for u by spelling somethinhg wrong for u, see if u can find the words.

So yea, lets bump these important topics about Ylands bad graphics...me and u togehter, ur doing a great job ^_^

Edited by svisketyggeren

To be fair to ‘bb cakes’, the post to which you refer is simply a direct reply to your opening statement: “trying to see past the terrible graphics”, and it was in your response that YOU raise the subject of textures!

You are right that people shouldn’t shoot you down just because you don’t like the graphics.  However, equally, you shouldn’t shoot back just because they do!  I happen to like the simplistic and cartoony  graphics - they give the game a sense of fun.

Edited by TheSparkPlug
  • Thanks 1

There's plenty of textured survival crafting games out there. If the texture style, or lack of, isn't appealing, there are plenty other games to try.

I for one like the art style. I hop on top of the tree and looked out over the island, it was quite beautiful with the sunset.

• Thanks 1

On 3/6/2018 at 12:57 AM, TheSparkPlug said:

To be fair to ‘bb cakes’, the post to which you refer is simply a direct reply to your opening statement: “trying to see past the terrible graphics”, and it was in your response that YOU raise the subject of textures!

You are right that people shouldn’t shoot you down just because you don’t like the graphics.  However, equally, you shouldn’t shoot back just because they do!  I happen to like the simplistic and cartoony  graphics - they give the game a sense of fun.

What happend is that bbcakes saw someone critizicing his game and replied with trolling. bbcakes accuses me of starting two threads about textures...and thats factually wrong. Its not a problem at all that textures became the main topic. But when bbcakes is acusing me of starting two threads about textures hes is just continuing his little trolling campaign because hes buttsore about someone critizicing his game. So, be fair to bbcakes? nah dont think so. Every forum has rotten eggs like bbcakes that simply cant deal with civilised discussion, ppl that typically resort to petty insults about other ppl mothers because they simply dont possess the intellectual wit to defend their own opinions. Which is all understandable if trolling forums is their main source for social interaction and drama in their life.

My main point about the graphics is that Ylands graphics probaly wont go down easly with most gamers. And the result is just less ppl buying and playing the game. I see great potential in Ylands, but there is stiff competition out there now. Also smooth voxel graphics, like Landmark had and 7daystodie has, is getting more and more prevalent in voxel games. So the overly simplistic graphics Ylands is going for (?) will probaly just be detrimental to the game. And I say overly simplistic because there is nothing wrong with simple graphics, The Long Dark dose simple graphics masterfully. Its relaxing to play a game that hasnt hi-res photorealistic graphics, it wouldnt fit Ylands at all. But I cant even visually identify the items in my inventory because the graphics are to simple.

Edited by svisketyggeren

It’s shame that your last post wasn’t just the last paragraph - it’s a well made point, not that I agree with it.

Unfortunately, however, you began with a load of petty insults and then had a go about people who resort to petty insults. You’ll never have the sensible discussions you seek when you attack (you’ll say defend) in posts. Stick to your point and ignore comments that upset you ;)

• Like 1

I'm sorry. I have to add something to this.

It is true, you did not start 2 threads about textures. The issue is, you had comments on the other thread that answered your questions. 
bbcakes, only said 'I think the graphics are nice' to which you replied. All good and done. 

You then had other replies that gave you replies to your other topics. bbcakes may have replied with an.. I guess.. mean comment. To which you could have just ignored but instead you decided to reply with 'Impressive toughtalk...why dont wait outside untill the grownups are done talking.
You.. could have.. just ignored it.

Anyhow after given some pretty nice screenshots of builds a player made in your thread. you responded with : 
"To me this is like...imagine a game came out and the main selling point of the game was "this game sucks"....I bet that game would develop a small player base that would honestly say they like the game because it sucks. This is the vibe I get from u guys."

You didn't even mention the replies to your other questions. Instead you decided to focus on the texture. Did you say a 'thanks for your info!' about your previous questions being answered? Nope

See the issue is. You had your replies. your answers. Your other thread was 'finished' so to say. But you decided to continue on talking about textures. 'That they are too bland and whatever' when you ALREADY had this thread. Could have just said 'Thank you for all of your info!' and then just have this thread for your.. texture issues.

And yes.. You did talk about textures and bad graphis in your other thread. which was called 'Just some questions' your normal reader of course would also take that into account and talk about textures.

Anyhow I don't want to bang too much on this. 
You say you're a 'grown up' then act like one. Stop throwing insults, be a nice lad and just keep the thread on point. At the end of the day. We can reply to this thread about 'whatever' we want. It's your thread. So if you don't want it to derail. Act nice and say so. 

Overly simplistic graphics and textures has definitely hurt minecraft. Clearly.

• Like 1

I wasn't going to reply to your personal insults, but since it's become part of the discussion here, I will.  As others have pointed out, YOU brought up textures.  I didn't reply to the other parts of your "questions" because I was interested in what the discussion would be.  It seemed to me that both topics were started in a very defensive and obnoxious way by you.

Then you invited me to wait for you outside. Twice.  I don't know where you are from.  I am in the USA.  That is an invitation to phyisically fight here. Is that how you meant it? I can only guess.  But it set you up as being overly aggressive and in fact the "butthurt" one. My "insults" were not all that bad, but they were in response to your overly aggressive response.

I don't care if you criticize the game. Or make suggestions. That's largely what this forum is for.  But your complaints about the colors and the textures at this stage of development is just...   It's like you don't want to deal with reality.  Like complaining that the sky is blue when you think it should be pink. When I said that what you were suggesting would be a ground up redesign, you blew that off with "modders do it all the time."  To which I responded, that mods and CC don't really work all that well, in my experience. The just paste of the top of original content. They look and act like they are pasted on the top, which is what they are.  To change the color scheme and texture scheme would require reworking lighting and shadows, and animations. You know... a redesign. Also it gets into branding and overall feel.  I can understand it being an issue.  There are games I don't play because I don't like the feel of them.  Minecraft is one.  I love building.  It's what drives my interest in most games. I can't get past blocky pixels.  So I don't play.

You never commented on my assertion that mods generally don't do what you claimed. You just started bashing my response.  If you want to have a discussion, that's groovy.  But do it.  YOU are the one who came in being rather obnoxious from the get go.  

• Like 1