TheSparkPlug

RESOLVED [YLD-8856] Craftsman Potion

Question

I understand the decision to require 5 magic dust. However, why increase the plants to 30. That does nothing to limit the potions availability or to balance the game. It just makes us have to waste  game time by harvesting and replanting six times as many plants.

NOW; to my amazement, when sing a potion with the kiln I was very disappointed to see that the potion no longer insta-crafts. Instead, all it does is to reduce the craft time from one minute to 20 seconds.

One nerf or the other would have been fine, but BOTH seems very harsh... guess it’s back to ruining builds by having several of each crafting Station :(

17 replies to this bug / suggestion

The way the crafting potion used to be added a lot of fun to crafting and seemed really magical.  I think the devs should reinstate it the way it was because as you stated all you need are multiple crafting stations and I have only used one crafting potion since they changed it and never even thought about making another one.  My last game had a 6 kiln building and a 6 smelter building which both took up a lot of space within my barrier.  The main object of a game in my opinion is having fun!  Please make the crafting potion fun again!

This is actually not intended, but a bug :) Thanks for pointing it out! It will be fixed.

• Upvote 1

Which part is the bug? The expense to make one or the added time to craft things while under it's effect?

So, the increase of crafting time from instant to 20 seconds remains?

Sorry,  but that the renders the potion so useless you may as well remove it from the game!  The potion only lasts about 30 seconds so we only get to do two crafts before it runs out.

To clarify, without a potion I can craft 9 items in sixty seconds. With it, I can waste 5 magic dust just for the luxury of crafting 18 items in 40 seconds. No thanks :(

20 minutes ago, Ane said:

The 30 grain part :)

I guess i'll have to stick with the 6 kilns and 6 smelters method then. A Shame.  

Yes, the instacraft was intentionally removed, but we'll discuss it in our designer's meeting this week and let you know about the outcome :)

Personally, I am of the opinion that crafting in its entirety needs a rework. You spend the same amount of time crafting yarn as you do a chest plate of armor or whathaveyou. 1-minute craft-times across the board makes it easier for the game itself to be playable in its early stages- but if the developers are seriously delving into reworking the crafting system I think they should address more than just craftsman potions. As opposed to the potion reducing crafting times to set amounts of time- I think it should reduce crafting time to 25% to 50% of its original crafting time. As for the crafting times themselves, 1 minute seems vastly excessive for some items, and too short for others. In my personal opinion, the crafting times of items should be on a gradient from around 10sec to 3min, depending on the item. I think this would reduce the 'grind' for the smallest and simplest of items which you have more than enough resources for, but aren't willing to sit there for a long time grinding small items. That being said, I would be willing to sit there for a minute or two in order to craft a gun, or an advanced piece of armor, etc...

I don't know. Just a thought :) 

Just to juxtapose a little between stone and wood building blocks and steel and brick building blocks which require crafting stations:  Stone and wood blocks can be crafted as fast as you can click and the way the crafting potion used to be allowed that for steel and brick as well.  The result of the crafting potion change for me is I no longer use steel or brick blocks and I use multiple crafting stations for the other things like charcoal, cloth, glass and ingots.  The point I'm trying to make is building is fun,  being creative is fun,  exploring is fun,  sitting and waiting a minute while 9 chunks of charcoal get made? Do I even have to say it?  Ok I will,  not fun.  :)

6 hours ago, Ane said:

The 30 grain part :)

that's the least annoying part of the change... grain can easily be farmed to exponential amounts. Magic dust is rare and not really farmable. Time is precious.

Saying the grain amount is the bug is almost insulting.

As I said in a comment afterwards, we are gonna discuss it and let you know :)

Please do keep Craftsman's Potion. When you have gathered 300 iron and have to turn that into ingots, it's a bloody long time you spend if you don't have the potion.

So due to your feedback we've decided to make the potion as powerful as it used to be (it'll come with a duration and cost price though) :)

1 hour ago, TheSparkPlug said:

That’s awesome news...

... unless that “cost” is 10 magic dust and 20 ylandium :P

Just 500 unicorn horns :P

Hmmm... that could be an issue.

As per another post, having recently learned how to create unicorns, I must have killed about 15 but they are just not dropping their horns. Perhaps I should file a bug report.

B|

• Haha 1

On 3/5/2018 at 11:45 AM, KingWingit said:

Magic dust is rare and not really farmable. Time is precious.

In my experience with the single player game the magic blooms occurred the most in the areas of rainforest biomes that have a darker green appearance.  It still seems to be random and i've seen them in most of not all biomes but they do bloom again after picking them up.  I've had them rebloom before I moved out of range and went back and got another.  I'm not sure of the mechanism that is used for reblooming but it seems to be often enough to have all i've needed.  My strategy has been to build a small house in one of these areas if it's not my home yland and goof off and sleep collect other materials on that yland while waiting for them to rebloom,  however as has been reported elsewhere time no longer passes while sleeping.   I don't know what the final plan is for potions but some have a limited time of usage before the skill is gained another way like breathing underwater and flying.  I've never used strength and haven't used crafting potion in a long time.  I've never used any of the cosmetic ones.  I understand in multiplayer the creator can put in vendors that sell this stuff but I'm not a creator so it's only second hand knowledge to me.  Depending on the final recipe for crafting potions I may in the future just dig underground to put my kilns and smelters in 6's to save space above ground and save the crafting potion for things like energy work bench,  chem station for gunpowder and locksmith table for bullets.   If i ever decide to build in single player explore with steel I'll probably build 6 of the forge thingies too.