Sign in to follow this  
FVin

Building materials (logs, blocks, etc) constantly duplicating.

Question

I am running into a problem where building blocks, logs, etc. are duplicating so often that I'm surprised I'm having problems finding other reports of this.

This bug occurs both within the editor and the explorer mode of the game.

When creating a structure, I will often find that many of the building blocks I've used have been duplicated and are overlapping one another.  It is easier to see this in an editor where you can move an existing block aside and find a duplicate of it that was hidden, still in place.  It is more difficult to see it occurring in the game, as you have to manually destroy the block with a hammer before realizing a copy of it was hidden in the same location.

It is not an infrequent bug, as (for example) constructing a roof and then moving it aside in the editor will show that nearly half of the roof had been duplicated at some point.  Please note that this is without using the "duplicate" tool - this bug causes placed building blocks to duplicate all on their own.  And, again, it also occurs in the normal game where editor tools are not available.

Is this a known issue?  I didn't see it on the known issue list, nor do I see reports of it elsewhere, but it happens to me *all the time*.

If it is a known issue, is there a way to avoid it?  Obviously I would like to avoid the potential hit to performance of having a two copies of the same structure sitting on top of one another (one being hidden by the other).

Edited by FVin

5 replies to this bug / suggestion

Mm I don't recall seeing this reported before, no.

Please send us the output_log and output_log_clean files (\Program Files(86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Ylands\Ylands_Data). The save game file where you're having the issue could come in handy too.

I have also experienced this behaviour. At least inside the editor. First time i realised it, was after the savefile was already modified multiple times (removed/added stone blocks, fixed energy crashes, repaired water). Therefore I didn't pay to much attention to it, apart from checking and cleaning up. 

edit: I could never reproduce the effect consistently.

Edited by oddbuilds

Also encountered this, but I'm not able to reproduce on-demand.  It's easier to see when you paint the structure/vehicle and then move around it.  You'll see the non-painted block flashing through occassionally, and if you remove the painted block in the same place, the non-painted one will remain.  This happens more on vehicles than buildings for me in the editor.

This only used to happen to me on vehicles, never happened to me on buildings, and since the last patch hasn't happened at all even though I have made a lot of vehicles. Things that triggered this behavior seemed to be mainly undoing (ctrl+z) and also sometimes moving, deleting or painting.

I haven't made vehicles yet, so I've only been seeing this on structures.  Roof pieces are very common.  Those happen to be pieces that often trigger the automatic placement (whenever you place two blocks in a row the game accurately begins to predict where you want the next block, which allows for rapid placement).  I am wondering if the speed of placement at that point is triggering a bug.

Like the above poster, I also wondered if it had something to do with undoing or moving pieces, but this would only impact pieces that have spent time in the editor.  But while I am seeing this bug frequently in the editor, I encountered this past weekend in the explorer game mode on several new pieces that have never spent any time in the editor at all.  I only realized the bug was occurring again when I was attempting to remove these pieces with hammers and axes - my hits were being absorbed by the overlapping blocks, doubling the amount of hits required to remove what should have been just one block - after that I took the file into the editor to confirm that there were duplicate blocks hidden inside the existing blocks.

I'll try to get those files uploaded this weekend when I get another opportunity to play.

• Thanks 1