ComR

Pegi 7?? Really? People! Ylands is described as "pegi 7". Did you know that?

Question

Hello There,

I'm sorry, I'm angry... I knew you decided to make the game for children, so I supposed it's now "Pegi 15", but someone, somewhere mentioned Ylands is no more even for teenagers, so I checked describtion few minutes ago... Are you serious?!

Since Ylands Team decided to make Ylands "family friendly" (Pegi 7), I'd like to ask You all for your opinions and talk about it...

Pegi 7? Really? Do you want to compete with Barbie games and LEGO? Your idea was a bit different... we have tons of games for children, lately especially Minecraft /LEGO style. Do you want to make another clone of these games or make something really new? 

I can understand you want now to make building game and you want to support people who do not want any PvP parts in the game. Ok, i understand, I like relaxing, nice games too. But why you decide to change whole game idea and focus on LEGO Barbie mix than openworld, sandbox, universal, survival game for all? Do you think that children will buy your game? Of course - not. Parents buy games for their children - you know it. There is many brick games and "Minecraft" for children. Why you decided that removing all adult content (it was satire), will make your game more profitable? I do not understand your thinking idea. You started Ylands as low poly survival game about pirates and shipwrecked unlucky sailors in the middle of unknown world with thrirls of unknown magic. It's very well made, funny, with very funny graphics and potentially humour. Pirates, open worlds, generated worlds, survival, crafting and building. Additionally: treasue, exicement and unknown. and everytime something new. Building forts, guns, ships, galleons, grave digging, treasure hunting and killing to stay alive... and probably savages and bandits to fight, when game will be ready...

And then... You decided to start campaign on Steam... Suddenly game not only changed a lot, but even was described not for children, but for very small children (Pegi 7)!?!? Arma developers decided to compete with Barbie and Disney??

From day to day you removed most of the game content - the game I was fan of, game I was observing for year or more? The game I bought at last!!! Wasn't even similar to what I saw... Yes, it was still low poly, but breath taking hunting and doing the best to live one day longer by digging out graves or robbing poor souls, poor skeletons to have "new" pants and helmets... Wasn't there. Samurai armour, katanas, horrible fights for life with unknown magic forces... 

But the worse thing was: "Pegi 7". "Whaaaaaat? Pegi 17" I guess??? 

There was no pr0.no.., there was no blood, there was no violence... I never liked gutting, but it was just question of new animations....

No, it's "Pegi 7". Tell me, how many 7 y.o. customers you have?

Is this a joke?? Really, I was angry, when I saw more and more content removed (Dinosaur skulls were too much too? Who are your customers now, some religious freaks, who think dinosaurs never existed, but killing animals is nic, because God let them do it?).

I understand some people do not want PvP - I love Ylands relaxing idea, PvP isn't my favorite type of games, but... it would be great to jump into PvP island and build my own ditch, make my own bow and go fight for life! But it seems you are removing more and more content from original Ylands. Isn't enought to let server owners decide if people want survival PvP or not?

You have great chance now to make something really special. If you decided to make your game silly - I cannot understand how I could play in MP with todddlers - yes, of course, I love pto play, build castles and houses.. and yes, I can talk, with children too. But how do you want to separate people who want toy play Cowboys and Indians and crying toddlers?

Maybe it would be good idea to split Ylands into two games - "brick world" and "Ylands you promised us?". If you don't do it - others will do it. There is many brick games. Do you really want to compete with "LEGO Worlds II" (I never heard of it, but I guess someone is working on it).

Please, do not kill the game!!!

Instead of any work - you just removed whole models and animations, thought Ylands is already comic books style and low poly... Why??? Do you need new animators? Ask even on this forum! 

If you think your skeletons and dying animations were "grusome" (really? Ok, now you are making game for 7 y.o. hardcore gamers).

I think it's important to make Ylands a bit more educational. You changed Ylands completly, but removing most of the earlier content,  this is bad decision in my opinion, especially, because children (and Ylands is not for toddlers) like shooting, humour and thrills too. "Pirates of the Caribbean" were full of killind, dead bodies and skeletons and... it's Disney and children love it. Additionally, if you see new titles around (Sea of Thiefts for example, not mentioning Kingdom Come), many players are children... Remember - You cannot be parents of every child (this is job of their parents), also - you don't have  to kill in Ylands. And your low poly game isn't neither gore or 18+ content. Disney games or LEGO games are full of death and even mild ..ex. And noone complains. So, why you are so affraid, so you removed skeletons and even, or especially, fossils?? I understand gutting and dying animations were sad, but it was educationally good - you should feel bad doing this. If you show children (and I think children will not play Ylands anyway), that killing animals is nothing wrong - you just reward them giving them food and hide, and additionally you shaw wolves and cats as "bad animals" - you are doing wrong job. Entirely opposite. YOU SHOULDN'T REWARD CHILDREN FOR KILLING BUNNIES!  YOU SHOULDN'T REWARD CHILDREN FOR KILLING ANY ANIMAL! Pegi 7? Really? Do yuo think it will make your game more profitable?? Please, think again. Maybe it's time to decide if you want to make game for children only? 

At least use humour. More funny humour. Where is the problem? Do you need inspiration? Ok: "Who framed Roger The Rabbit", "Spy Vs Spy", "Merrry Melodies".., and so on, I'm sure you can imagine more.

Pegi 7??

Please, change the stupid "Piggy" and make the game properly.

If you really think killing animals is for toddlers and it's fun to give children weapons to kill animals to be rewarded with meat and hide. And he only difference between you older version of the game and last ones is removing skeletons and animations - I'm sorry. This game is not for children.

Change the game name to "LEGO Duplo" and remove all guns, shooting and killing stuff. Don't make jokes like that. Pegi 7 and you want to promote your game as PvP, OpenBox, Sandox, Survival game and so on? I feel a bit... well... cheated. One update more and we realise that Ylands is just another poor Lego rip-off. Why?!!? Bohemia Interactive is very good team. If you need money so desperatelly, so you are degrading main titles to games for toddlers - make two. And make one for us - I will pay and I will be happy! But, please, do not destroy this game! If your manager, director or boss - whatever you call him - cannot see this - Ylands can be another breakthroutgh in openworld games. Many other companies are watching you closely - do you want to let them steal your ideas? (I think you see what I'm talking about??). If not - maybe it's time to change your "Gods". You lost "Operation Flashpoint", because someone was making bad decisions for the whole team. Right?

Maybe you should change your "boss"?

Maybe you have no time to play your game, and even less time to watch people playing Ylands... Damn, please, see around and ask people why thety are playing Ylands or why they stopped!!!

Even if you cannot make everyone happy - you cannot - you can make true sandbox, openworld game, with options for everyone. It's easy, really - just make something called "custom game". Let us choose. 

And really... (yeah, I'm using "really" too much") Pegi 7? Who's idea was it? Especially after all that Youtube campaign??? How many 7 y.o. gamers bought Ylands?? How many will buy it? Within two years, your 7 y.o. will be 9 y.o. What then? 

Change your boss.

Angry Me,
ComR

21 replies to this bug / suggestion

Firstly for those wondering what a pegi even is : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_European_Game_Information

So after reading a unformulated jumbled wall of text, i trying to gauge  what it is your trying to complain about..

Something about ratings being dropped to children from teen, and making it more appealing to a younger audience is upsetting you,

in terms of Violence and PVP or more casual crowd game.. i really can't tell a great deal since everything is like a bomb dropped and exploded everywhere..

secondly it's never good to write post in a fit of rage (whats happened here), as it becomes an unreadable mess..

From what i can understand is you're angry because the game is becoming soft, and why the pegi was reduced to younger kids...

From what i have seen so far, Ylands is an EARLY ACCESS game, it's content is not finalized for a release state, in fact a long way off..

Personally i like the game for its exploring aspect, being able to build wherever i want.

Like even all the animals and if there were mobs or evil things are describe, wouldn't even be working correctly right now..

Also rewrite your post... for the sake of everyone else.. to a readable format.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Hi,

I've read through your post and it seems to me that you're somewhat upset ;)

Ylands has never been a brutal game and never will be. It's true that we have removed animations of animals dying, but nothing more is really planned. We've removed skeletons and some bones, but had nothing to do with Pegi (and those will actually return to game at some point). But that's about it. Nothing more that would make the game more "soft" is currently planned so if you like the game now, I'm sure you will like it in the future as well (actually very likely much more once all the annoying issues are fixed and we deliver what we have planned).

Don't get me wrong - we love the Ylands community and we honestly believe that they are one the friendliest game communities and we listen to you a lot (I would say that now around 1/2 of the features we add are based on players' feedback) but we have a vision of the game we want to make and we intend to stick with it. Ylands will always be more about creativity and exploration than violence (that being said we will be adding some darker places in the upcoming new world, scarier monsters etc.). Actually, Ylands started as idea of an creative game that we could play with our kids.

If you have a problem with a specific part of game we can surely discuss that but making a general, angry post like this doesn't really help anything. 

As for changing our boss - that's probably not going to happen anytime soon since we see eye to eye with him on Ylands' future :) 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't mind it at all. That only means that more people will be buying this game, the game will live a healthier life which means more content for us in the long-run, and the devs absolutely deserve the support.

There are plenty of brutal games for you to play if that's what you're into.

wow someone has a stick stuck where the sun doesn't shine...
if you dont like the game then you dont like it. if it isn't violent enough for you go and find one that is instead of blaming the devs because it isn't gory enough for you... thats your problem and not theirs

Maybe we should petition for  unicorns   and  horses with  sparkly  manes  and  see rainbows after storms  and have  fairy's   fly overhead  dropping  fairy dust each morning..:P
Really,  a game  has to appeal to the majority to attract the majority of  players.  

I would like to see  more  female  fashion clothing, where we can fashion bear skins into  fur  coats:o ..and upset the  animal protectionists... or perhaps  bikini swimsuits ... to upset the moral  majority or maybe  high heel shoes for us  fashion conscious  ones to wear  while we build  walls  or plant  crops etc.

Regarding  ratings .. different countries have different  cultures and  different  ratings. Whats  acceptable  to  one  may not be to others. For the  game to expand  it has to be suitable  worldwide,  and it has to appeal to  a  worldwide  audience.  There will always be a  minority that will object...,:o but  we do have  choices!

I for  one  do not want to see  Ylands  full of  tanks,  mythical monsters  flying  dragons   and armed  commandos  running around destroying all that others  create. Its  bad enough already  in MP with some of the  feeble  minded griefers!:D

As for telling the  the   game  developers  what I want, well  i  just have to join the  queue to see what they are bringing in,  and if its  not  what  I want  and its upsets me because they are  ignoring my demands,   then as they say,  there are other  games...

Meanwhile ....

Peace,  unicorns  and  rainbows  ....:)

Psssst!  in case you did not  notice ...some of my comments were made with tongue  firmly planted in cheek.  pegi  7  or  whatever?, as long as it  remains  popular and r that will  encourage the developers  to add more and improve the game more.:)

Edited by kimbuck
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Personally I like a great mixture of game types and Ylands ( at least as much of it as has been playable for me ) fills a peaceful niche of exploring and creativity that I hope to play again once it becomes fully playable for me.  One thing I have always loved about PC Gaming is that I can have more than one game to fill my entertainment needs.  I've only bought 2 early access games in my life this one and another similar game where the game company out and out lied in advertising,  demanded that paying customers were obligated to report bugs and do their preliminary legal screening work for free and then shut it down when they were done milking their player base.   So far the Ylands team has been very gracious and open. Compared to the other game company they are virtual angels.   It sounds like maybe you should not be buying early access games.   I generally do not condone paying for things before they are finished but the Ylands experience for me has not been horrible,  not as enjoyable as most complete games I buy but still not horrible.

On 3/1/2018 at 9:30 AM, Aleš Ulm said:

Ylands has never been a brutal game and never will be.

Ylands will always be more about creativity and exploration than violence 

THIS is why I love this game so much.  It's a better sandbox/exploration than Minecraft, but it's not all violence-geared (like pretty much everything put out anymore).  Thank you guys for making a GREAT game and sticking to your guns!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stephenw1992 said:

wow someone has a stick stuck where the sun doesn't shine...
if you dont like the game then you dont like it. if it isn't violent enough for you go and find one that is instead of blaming the devs because it isn't gory enough for you... thats your problem and not theirs

You do realize you are berating someone who made a post 5 weeks ago and probably is already long gone and had already been responded to by one of the devs.  What was the point?

• Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, Onedown said:

You do realize you are berating someone who made a post 5 weeks ago and probably is already long gone and had already been responded to by one of the devs.  What was the point?

well since i was just browsing, hadn't seen the date on it so wasn't aware that i was posted 5 weeks ago until after i posted, what was the point in replying to this to state the obvious?

I must have missed the notice that stated there was a time limit on replying on a post

Edited by Stephenw1992
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Onedown said:

Did you miss the point that this is a message board, whose main, and really only, function is discussion? Also, it is a point worth discussion.

While we are discussing, please note that disagreeing is not berating. 

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, Stephenw1992 said:

I must have missed the notice that stated there was a time limit on replying on a post

It's not so much that you replied but that you had to do it by being vulgar instead of being constructive.  It seems lately every post that criticizes the game in any way is being met with bullying.  It's fine to disagree but the comment about the placement of a stick was just vulgar, it wasn't discussion it was an insult, far from constructive.

24 minutes ago, bb cakes said:

While we are discussing, please note that disagreeing is not berating. 

I agree it's a discussion board not a place for vulgar suggestions.  The vulgar comment that was made turned it into berating. 

46 minutes ago, Stephenw1992 said:

Actually you may want to reread the posting guidelines.

they created this thread for the sole purpose of tearing into the devs.
A lot of players these days seemed to feel like buying a game entitles them to tread developers like dirt. 
A lot of players buy an early access title expecting it to work perfectly or if not they expect the development team to keep adding more stuff AND fix everything immediately. 
this particular occasion a player felt like an incredibly long, drawn out scream at the devs was on par with a change in age rating...

I recently spent a month working on a map, all day every day and then 4 hours after launching the server it killed it.
I didn't come on here screaming at the developers.
I didn't demand everything should be fixed immediately because i didn't like it.

Its an alpha. things change. things break. progress is lost.
I took a day off the game then went back at it...

I am a very respectful person but on this occasion, i have no respect for someone who bought a game mid development and expects things done their way

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stephenw1992 said:

they created this thread for the sole purpose of tearing into the devs.
A lot of players these days seemed to feel like buying a game entitles them to tread developers like dirt. 

Look, I don't agree with the OP either and I said so in a more polite post.  I think Mr. Ulm handled the post very well,  he responded truthfully and respectfully.  I think this team is wise enough to accept the criticisms that are made without taking them personally.  I think you are a pretty smart person and you do the game a nice service by posting tutorial videos but insults are just not productive or helpful.  My suggestion to the OP was that maybe he shouldn't be buying early access games.  Your suggestion was that he had an unfortunately placed stick and that he should just go away.  See the difference there?

• Upvote 1

On 07/03/2018 at 6:45 PM, bihlbo said:

lol no one pays attention to age ratings.

I do, I bought the game and play it with my 7 years old daughter ?

Who buys games according to the PEGI rating? The only ppl who maybe care are teens - like "Uhh...you play a PEGI 7 game...thats sooo 'not fly'" ...but ...wayne?

I believe the PEGI 7 rating  was applied  when BI presented the  game at a convention where there would  be a lot of very  young visitors etc. and to conform the censorship rules. They also removed skeletons and changed the way animals  were "carved up " after slaying  to  meet  censorship guidelines. I also read somewhere that Ales indicated it  would be reviewed after its out of  early  access   I have no problem  with that.. but it  would be nice that when i  am playing the game  and  showing  younger  future game  players  how the game works  and not to be confronted by avatars  with  filthy obscene and sometime  racist and  homophobic  names who post abusive chat, and call other players  names not suitable  for  any rating. It doesn't upset me but i  do think of the younger watchers.

As to what teens say, well its a known  fact that the  teen brain is not  considered  mature and capable  of certain decisions  until it reaches the  age  of 21.  Unfortunately in   some cases mental  age  develops   slower than  physical age:)

My age,  well i am not a teen,  Have been to  university   ( and  not just   to look inside ) and there are children in the house... some grandchildren B|

Two things  you NEVER ask a woman ... her age and  weight!:P

Edited by kimbuck

4 hours ago, kimbuck said:

Two things  you NEVER ask a woman ... her age and  weight!:P

=chuckles= My Steam account profile is "old gamer broad".    This is a game I'd love introducing to my grandson (almost 6 - dear gods!), though he'd probably want to bring in the Ark dinos.   

Each game is going to be different.  If it is not violent enough for you - or too violent, find another game.  Upset you paid for it?  Sorry.  I have a number of games purchased over the years that later sat gathering dust, because they didn't turn out to be what I wanted.  It happens.  You move on.  Because while the devs do well to listen to the voices of the players, they also have to keep to their own overall vision. 

Ylands is not "Lego". It's not Minecraft.  It's not Ark, or PUBG.   It is, and can only be, Ylands.

• Upvote 1