Sign in to follow this  
Pharaun Mizzrym

What if I don't want to sleep at night?

Joining multiplayer and really I don't want to sleep at night.  Am I offending people if I don't sleep when the sleep popup shows?

It really depends on how active you are on the server. If you are new to a fairly active, well established player base, and everyone online wants to sleep but you... yes you are offending them.

Or if you were invited to a server.

Or if you know that there is someone on that streams live or publishes video content on say Youtube. 

Just be aware and considerate if you are playing on someone else's server.

If you host your own server... then you can do whatever you please.

Okay, so, I find this offensive. 

I am new.  I don't get the materials to make a bed easily.  Still learning.  And I am not joining Discord.  Yeah, I said the great evil.  I already know the resulting comments; I have heard them a thousands times.  Stuff like, "Well if you don't want to join I guess you will just have to suffer."  Forcing people to Discord (or Teamspeak) is not my main topic. 

On topic, kicking people for not sleeping is very offensive. 

Let's talk the odds anyone even joins your server (generally speaking not you explicitly, Syx) to begin with.  Notice we only get up to eight people?  New players are going to go for the Public servers.  They don't know anyone yet to get invited to a Private.  Notice that most times public servers are only 0/8.  Sometimes 1/8.  Once in a while 2/8.  Very rarely 4/8. Finding other players appearing slim to newbs (lots of dead bodies tho).

Add to that all kinds of things that can go wrong once you join:  Stuck in eternal loading screen no escape option.  Bad connection.  World to large / involved and will not load.  Lagg.  Pvp'd by another noob who just learned to make a Stone Mace you good boy.   

Lets consider what I might be greeted by if the server does work.  "PVE Super Noob Friendly Public Server come join us..."  and I load into a prison cell with npc's instructing me to join Discord or you character cannot move another inch.  EXCUSE ME?  Control freaks much?  This and only this will be Ylands' undoing.  It's the control crazy people who cannot see they are pushing newb potential players away by MAKING DEMANDS ON THEM.

No I will not join your Discord.

No I will not be part of your Livecast.

No I will not be your Prisoner until I comply.

And thanks a lot for taking up all the resources AROUND THE SPAWN POINT so noobs who cannot even gather materials to learn how to make a bed that you kicked for not making!

On the note of running your own server - I am getting a sinking feeling there is some kind of server selling marketplace but I have yet to figure out what that is about.

3 minutes ago, Pharaun Mizzrym said:

No I will not join your Discord.

No I will not be part of your Livecast.

No I will not be your Prisoner until I comply.

And thanks a lot for taking up all the resources AROUND THE SPAWN POINT so noobs who cannot even gather materials to learn how to make a bed that you kicked for not making!

On the note of running your own server - I am getting a sinking feeling there is some kind of server selling marketplace but I have yet to figure out what that is about.

I ask participants to join my Discord because it's where I publish the guidelines/no-griefing policies, make announcements, handle issue reporting, and allow general chat.  I know most people aren't comfortable being on voice comms while playing games, so to date we haven't used voice at all - we just use the text features.  You can come on the Discord, see the rules, see the news, see some chat, and if you want, see some spoiler info (world maps, biome descriptions, etc).  Beyond that, hopefully you can coordinate with other players (I normally have at least 5 people on every night) and be a part of the community since the game itself doesn't offer a way to communicate with others that are 20 feet away from you.

Yes, I know other servers do live streaming, or lock you in to a starting area where you can't leave without getting on Discord - but there are plenty of us that run servers that don't do that, and still provide a Discord mostly for the enjoyment of the players.  I'm also pretty unforgiving when it comes to banning people who violate the rules of my server, and when they say things like "Oh I didn't know those were the rules where are they posted?" even though the gist of it is on a sign at Spawn, and the details are on Discord (which they didn't join), I can't really sympathize with them.

As for starting resources, a good admin will keep spawn island stocked with plenty of resources, keep it clean of junk and corpses, and offer enough opportunity to allow new people to get up to speed and off of the starting area as soon as possible.  Again, I know not all admins do the same thing, but I maintain a crafting pavilion right where you start and I do daily maintenance to replenish/clean every morning.

As for server selling - yes, there are commercial hosting providers out there, some of them may be sponsoring some of the communities you see on Youtube or mentioned here on the forums but I assure you that we aren't all a part of that.  I run my own private server (I have two other server instances that I bring up as need be for testing or other purposes, but maintain one 24/7).  Aside from some assistance and support I get from my wife, I'm basically a one-man operation.  If I put rules on my server its to maintain sanity for both the playerbase as well as myself, as I have to put in a considerable amount of effort to keep things running tightly.  I'm not saying you're targeting me with your comments here, because it's clear that I'm not a part of that demographic, but I do ask my players to come on to the Discord server.  It just makes things easier for everyone involved.

Anyway, sorry for the wall of text.  TL;DR: There are plenty of us admins who are trying to do the right thing and make a pleasant community experience for players.  We may have some policies that may sound draconian or against your wishes, but I promise you we're not doing it for nefarious reasons and at the end of the day, most of us are spending a real amount of time, money, and effort to provide these environments and aren't expecting any compensation in return other than asking for players to follow the guidelines to make life easier for everyone.

Pharaun, I apologize if this sounds like I'm lecturing you - I assure you I'm not.  I just wanted to raise these points as you touched upon some of it and I wanted to provide a bit of another perspective.  I have no issue with you or your statement directly, and am targeting this more as a general statement.

Cheers!

I don't play Multiplayer yet, personally. I'll just take that out of the way.

Honestly how I see things.. Is simple..
Do whatever you want.
It's a game. If you join a public server like 'Public Game 01' Do whatever.

BUT If you join like 'Building/Creative Server 01' Then yea probably means people will sleep at night since building at night is shitty.

I said I don't play MP yet in Ylands. But I've played a LOT of minecraft MP. Survival/creative/whatever.
And I basically followed what I said above.
I rarely sleep at night in games like these just because I love the atmosphere. So it mostly just depended on what server I played.

As goes for Discord stuff. Yea honestly. I'm one of the people that use discord just because friends: 'OMG JOIN DISCORD! WE DON'T USE ANYTHING ELSE!'. so I gotta use it to chat with them.
I ONLY use discord for chat. That's it. I already have Skype, I already have Steam. I don't need YET another client to check every second. So joining channels with crapload of stuff or rules or things to do.. Yeaaa no.

So as goes for servers demanding you to join their discord to move. That's absolute bull.
I have discord yes. I use it. But I don't want to join your server just so I can play on a god damn server. Specially seeing that the game has like 8 slots per server.
In a game with a LOT of slots per server. say 60+ then yea it would make sense. (Take minecraft for example) But in Ylands I find it kind of pathetic. if you want to have a 'private' game. Then just make it private and invite people. Post on the forums or reddit or steam discussions that you have a private server and dun.

Anyhow.
I honestly agree with both what Syx said and what OP said.
Depending on the server. If there are any 'rules' or if it's a 'server for builders' and they have a sign at the spawn that says 'please sleep at night' then yea. You might be offending them.
BUT
If you join a random public server with no rules or.. no 'information' or whatever after you joined. Do whatever you want.

As goes for people using up all the resources.. yea. I'm not gonna go into that. Since as said. Never played mp so xD Just wanted to give my 2 cents since the 'join discord to play' thing is happening in other games too and it's slightly ticking me off.

Offensive? Wow. Here's the main point. Multiplayer is about interacting with other players. If you don't want to do that, then play single player. If you are playing with others, don't be a jerk. If they need to sleep and you reasonably can, then you should. When messaging in game works better, a quick "sorry guys, I can't sleep now" will go a long ways in the not being a jerk dept.

Grass mats are, I think, grass, rope and a knife. Not that hard to come by. In a server that asks for coordination of sleep, I try to keep one in inventory. It isn't much to ask.

As  BB said....   MP games  work  better with co operation, so when the sleep icon appears  on the server  we  inhabit,  we comply out of  courtesy¬¬

Yo do not have to  join  discord ..but its handy .. you do not  have to take part  in other things,   but if they insist, and  you dont like it ..find another server.

As to the spawn island resources  being depleted ..or   prisons  around the spawn point... and  griefing,  well look for a  friendlier  server where the  admins  are active

Baz  Foobar's  server has  a no griefing   policy  etc  and   although i sound like a sales(wo)man in promoting it, we are not having the griefing  issues like other  un moderated servers,  as   sword toting  idiots   killing  afk people  or  stealing others   boats,  things  etc  are soon asked to leave .. via the back door  and in a hurry!:D

So there you have it . if  you do not want to co operate, or  act as a loner,   and  obey simple  rules,   go back to SP .

MP is  fun  if you all co operate....:D

Edited by kimbuck
spellung korectshun.
  • Upvote 1

I don't play multiplayer yet and maybe I am misunderstanding but from what I've read if you have multiple players on a server all of the players have to sleep or no one can sleep.  Is this correct?  if this is correct and you expect new players to comply with the server sleep rules I would suggest a chest in the spawn area of the server have a chest containing sleeping pads this way there is no excuse for a new player not to sleep.  If 90% of the players on at the time want to sleep because it's dark then make it as easy as possible for a new player to comply. This issue is the reason multiplayer games traditionally do not have sleeping but instead adopt a night cycle that is bright enough to continue playing while still being dark enough to give a sense of night.  In my opinion any game mechanic should enhance the enjoyment of the game and as far as sleeping is concerned I do not see where the automatic passage of the day night cycle (sleeping) adds any enjoyment to the game as you are essentially doing nothing.  Sure it adds realism but real isn't always fun.  Mowing the lawn is real and i'd hate to see that added to a game like this.  That said the game is not finished yet and I do not know if they plan on adding consequences to not sleeping.  My suggestion to the dev team is make night time fun.  Make it a part of the game and not a part to simply skip over.

Edited by Onedown
Addition.

I do not have a problem with people live streaming or using Discord.  I only wish that they not FORCE me to do so also.  I support livesteams with youtube by subscribing and with my upvotes.  I am very happy you have Discord and I may choose to use it.  When I am ready.

I am leaning toward a non-forced sleep on Multiserver request. 

I do not want to play another version of Minecraft.  I would like Ylands to be different in the things that made Minecraft unwelcoming.  

I LIKE THE NIGHT AND WANT TO PLAY IN IT

Forced sleep has become beyond tedious even now when I know how to craft a grass sleeping bag.  I think some people are making me sleep because they think I will want to sleep when they would have been just as happy to stay up all night.  Likewise I am sleeping for their sake afraid of offending.

I know everyone wants to solve all these problems with Discord.  That is fine for you.  But it ruins my immersion.  I want to feel like I am lost on an island without a telephone. 

You can have all of those things in SP.  Or you can host a dedicated server and set up your rules.  

I do agree, in games where sleep is expected, they really should supply beds that stay with your character even after death.

17 minutes ago, Pharaun Mizzrym said:

... it ruins my immersion.  I want to feel like I am lost on an island... 

Then it sounds like single player is the best option for you - nothing ruins the “lost on an island” immersion like bumping into half a dozen other people xD

• Haha 1