RedEagle_P1.

Opinion: This game is not ready to leave early access

Opinion: This game is not ready to leave early access

The talk of leaving Early Access is really scaring me.

Yesterday's party:

I had a ship-wars party last night with my clan where we build ships and shoot at each other's vessels. 

1/2 the people could not see others (heads only)

1/2 the time ships were black and invisible

Cannons fired 90% left of their aim most of the time

The editor: 

When starting in the editor more things did not work than worked. The editor would spawn black chunks, delete saves, crash and the list of bugs is almost endless. 

Multiplayer

All servers reset all progress frequently. Average is weekly. 

My opinion: 

I understand development is hard but I fear if this leaves early access anytime soon this game will get negative reviews and be ditched. 

I am 100% for you guys and I want to see this game succeed but it's nowhere near release. I can't help but feel the development team is out of touch with what the community is going through sometimes (maybe I am wrong). Playing this game outside of single player is a constant headache. Nothing works like it should and I embrace that fully but if this gets labeled "released" I fear many will leave. 

• Upvote 5

I'm with @RedEagle_MGN,

I love the game and have 705 hours logged since christmas, I can't wait to see what else is in store but it'll be better to stay in early access longer than needed so when leaving it gets the best reception it can :)

I completely agree with  @RedEagle_MGN
Since I acquired the title, I have practically left out all the other games and have been testing the possibilities it offers, simply incredible.
But he still has many errors that have to be corrected and you have to do too much juggling to have a server.

*He who climbs a ladder must start at the first rung.* (Walter Scott)

As a DS operator, I also agree, this game is not ready for EA > Release. I can only really speak from a DS/MP perspective, as 99% my time is spent on it, 1% in editor for "maintenance".

There is far too many problems with the DS/MP still, i do not believe, based on the release cycle currently (~1month between patches) that all these bugs will be squashed by the projected 1.0 release.

From what i heard 1.0 was slated for August, however it's march now around ~5months, and based on whats in the releases forum, this make releases approx 1.5~2month cycles currently

Hey, the Devs said they are shooting for August or so to move from EA. Give them a chance to work it out. They seem to be tackling many bugs with every update and hotfix. Anyone who has ever had to comb through thousands upon thousands of lines of code will tell you that it is time consuming and sometimes frustrating. 

I have faith that they will make headroom.

Frankly the state of the editor needs change and heavy bug testing. We don't have access to features that exploration Maps put it. Distance between islands, generating multiple biomes, settings for regenerating resources for online servers, density settings for flora and fauna--and this is just the editor in its current state, never mind the glitchy energy system, inability to add logics for all saves, irregardless of game type, and the piles of glitches we still have to endure. 

Devs, take the time to make custom maps worth putting the time into making. Give some thought to server hosts that wanted to personalize custom exploration Maps. To me the game won't be feature complete by August. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, SyxtySyx said:

Hey, the Devs said they are shooting for August or so to move from EA. Give them a chance to work it out. They seem to be tackling many bugs with every update and hotfix. Anyone who has ever had to comb through thousands upon thousands of lines of code will tell you that it is time consuming and sometimes frustrating. 

I have faith that they will make headroom.

I'm not saying that they are not working hard to be able to leave EA. What I do not trust is the acceptance of people about a game with so many mistakes.

In the end, it is the public that has the last word and the public lost its head a long time ago.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spyler.1989 said:

I'm not saying that they are not working hard to be able to leave EA. What I do not trust is the acceptance of people about a game with so many mistakes.

In the end, it is the public that has the last word and the public lost its head a long time ago.

That's right. We know an alpha takes time and I think most of us like the direction this game is headed and the responsive staff team. It's leaving Early Access that scares me. 

• Like 1

Hi, guys.

We still have six months ahead of us and a lot can (and will) be done in that time. Also the last two months are planned pretty much for bug fixing only (*cough* cruch time *cough*). It's obvious though that we need to fix as many issues as possible much sooner than that. Most of the really annoying issues (if we, for a moment, ignore general performance, that needs a lot of love as well) are MP-related. I don't want sound like a broken record since I've said this before, but I have a high hopes for the dedicated MP programmer, who has started recently contributing with his share of fixes. To give you a hint on how serious we are about meeting that EA deadline - right now we're looking for four more programmers.

After we release update 0.8 we would like to create a page here with the most-pressing issues currently in the game (both SP and MP). We've already talked about our smaller internal version of that list and issues we fixed so far but this one will be longer and always accessible for you all to see. That way we should be able to see how many really nasty issues remain to be fixed and how fast we're proceeding with fixing those.

We know just as well as you that leaving EA will be a big step and we must not do it with game which is still buggy. That is just not going to happen. :) 

Let's take a look at the current state of the game three months from now and discuss it. That should be enough time for us to turn the things around substantially and prove that our schedule isn't unrealistic or, if we fail, to adjust our plans.

Anyway - thanks for voicing your concerns in such civil and nice way. It's always a pleasure to take part in discussions like this one.

• Like 4

Thank for the reply @Aleš Ulm!

We just dont want to see the game go the same way as others and leave EA just a little to soon since once it says "released" on steam, the players would get pretty brutal with their reviews and any bugs.

We want to see it thrive!

@Aleš Ulm I may have missed it, but is there a set goal for MP gameplay? Like for example 4 player coop only or is the MP gameplay going to be geared towards larger 64 player servers/communities? Not just talking performance, also talking actual gameplay (barriers, ore respawning etc.). And is there an intermediate goal for going out of early access?

Adrie

Usually games are feature complete when they leave early access. Will the editor have the missing features and more options for making custom exploration Maps, including the use of game logics? 

• Like 1

Well we will just have to see how things are in 3 months, so Mid June then, which leave another 2 before 1.0. I really do hope for the sake the game things are fixed before leaving EA.

@WijkagentAdrie MP gameplay goals: there's one very important MP-related feature that will be introduced in 0.9 - I will talk about it in a Dev Diary right after we release 0.8 and that's where I'd like to discuss our other plans for MP as well so I'd like to ask you to a wait a bit more (but you will get your answer)

@mid endian There isn't really an easy way to answer that. The problem is that it's rather difficult to say what "feature complete" means - especially when it comes to open world sand box games (and even more so when those games are platforms at the same time). We have a list of features we want to implement and it will take literally years before most of those things get in the game - personally I think Ylands will never be "feature complete". I understand, though, that you're not asking about some future cool features but about some rather specific ones that you're missing right now. I can't tell if what comes out as Ylands 1.0 will contain everything you'd like to see there, but the Editor will be greatly enhanced and players will, indeed, be given more options to customize their games before we leave EA.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Aleš Ulm said:

...  The problem is that it's rather difficult to say what "feature complete" means - especially when it comes to open world sand box games (and even more so when those games are platforms at the same time). We have a list of features we want to implement and it will take literally years before most of those things get in the game - personally I think Ylands will never be "feature complete"...

I think it's rather simple to see what "feature complete" means. I bought the game with the expectation that https://ylands.com/roadmap is what defined "feature complete". Less than that at release and I'll feel slightly duped.

On 13/03/2018 at 2:37 PM, KingWingit said:

I think it's rather simple to see what "feature complete" means. I bought the game with the expectation that https://ylands.com/roadmap is what defined "feature complete". Less than that at release and I'll feel slightly duped.

bug can draw out the development process, some things may be added and others removed based on player feedback. i think its safe to say that any developers would have an incomplete roadmap at release just as a result of those

If during EA they never raised as much funds as they hoped to, it may also impact the development process heavily

Being   honest,  Sp becomes  boring...    and the current  MP version  is really  unplayable and frustrating in its  state ... with the fixes promised..if they are at  least 50% effective,  will see a much better game, and i  am holding out for that. However i see there's more than  50%  effectiveness planned,  and with some concentrated  efforts  on performance  optimization, and   also  about  fixing server  degradation over time in subsequent    hotfixes/releases, this  game  will be  awesome... well  more awesome!:D,

We  know the  devs   are listening...     sometimes silence means  they are hard at  work,  so if you do not get a personalized reply, its because they are working  for the good  of the  whole, not  individual  demands.

As  most of the  game is based on explore,  ships  are essential  and  for the game to  work  they have to work. What would be appreciated would be a  bigger variety of  hulls, as not  everyone is  trapped in the  "pirates of penzance"  genre, and  some  modern   modifiable designs would be  appreciated.

But the main thing is ...although this   game is  apparently  not ready to leave  early  access  right  now,  it will in the future, but it  might take  the   devs an extra  4  months or  so than  planned.

Best to  take  small steps  with  surety  than leap  forward into  an abyss..  B|

Edited by kimbuck
edited to remove the moths and replace them with months

If i understand correctly the recently hired a programmer to work on the mp issues, since then i believe they have hired a further 4

@Ylands Never forget, YOU HAVE ONLY ONE CHANCE FOR A GOOD START!
Remember Blur, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, Beyond Good & Evil, The Warriors, Killer7 and many more!

And, dont forget the Big 2018 releasedates...!

JANUAR    
Anamorphine Adventure 16. Januar 2018
Iconoclasts Adventure 23. Januar 2018
Lost Sphear Rollenspiel 23. Januar 2018
Subnautica Action 23. Januar 2018
Police Simulator 18 Simulation 25. Januar 2018
Dragon Ball: FighterZ Beat 'em Up 26. Januar 2018
Railway Empire Strategie 26. Januar 2018
Remothered: Tormented Fathers Action 30. Januar 2018

FEBRUAR    
Delver Action-Adventure 01. Februar 2018
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age Rollenspiel 01. Februar 2018
Aegis Defenders Action 08. Februar 2018
Civilization 6: Rise and Fall (Erweiterung) Rundenstrategie 08. Februar 2018
Rust Mehrspieler-Shooter 08. Februar 2018
Wartile Echtzeit-Strategie 08. Februar 2018
Far-Out Adventure 09. Februar 2018
Crossing Souls Action 13. Februar 2018
Kingdom Come: Deliverance Rollenspiel 13. Februar 2018
The Fall Part 2: Unbound Action-Adventure 13. Februar 2018
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 2 Action-RPG 14. Februar 2018
Secret of Mana Remake Rollenspiel 15. Februar 2018
Fe Adventure 16. Februar 2018
Age of Empires: Definitive Edition Echtzeit-Strategie 20. Februar 2018
The Station Adventure 20. Februar 2018
Metal Gear Survive Mehrspieler-Action 22. Februar 2018
Past Cure Action/Stealth 23. Februar 2018
Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet Action-RPG 23. Februar 2018
Gravel Rennspiel 27. Februar 2018
Into The Breach Rundenstrategie 27. Februar 2018

MÄRZ    
Final Fantasy 15 Rollenspiel 06. März 2018
Pure Farming 2018 Simulation 13. März 2018
The Raven Remastered Adventure 13. März 2018
Surviving Mars Aufbau-Strategie 15. März 2018
Devil May Cry HD Collection Action 18. März 2018
Sea of Thieves Mehrspieler-Action 20. März 2018
Pizza Connection 3 Wirtschaftssimulation 22. März 2018
A Way Out Adventure 23. März 2018
Ni No Kuni 2 JRPG 23. März 2018
Q.U.B.E. 2 Rätselspiel 23. März 2018
Far Cry 5 Ego-Shooter 27. März 2018
MX vs. ATV All Out Rennspiel 27. März 2018
Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Rollenspiel 27. März 2018
Agony Survival-Horror 30. März 2018
Wizard of Legend Action 31. März 2018
Ash of Gods: Redemption Rundenstrategie März 2018
Attack on Titan 2 Action März 2018
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night Action-Adventure März 2018
Frostpunk Aufbau-Strategie März 2018
Ghost of a Tale Action-Adventure März 2018
Golem Gates Echtzeit-Strategie März 2018
Hellpoint Action-RPG März 2018
Moons of Madness Adventure März 2018
Murderous Pursuits Mehrspieler-Shooter März 2018
UnDungeon Rollenspiel März 2018

APRIL    
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Rollenspiel 03. April 2018
Extinction Action 10. April 2018
Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia Strategie 19. April 2018
Sinner: Sacrifice of Redemption Action-RPG 25. April 2018
The Forest Action-Adventure April 2018
Tower of Time Rollenspiel April 2018

MAI    
Conan Exiles Survival-Action 08. Mai 2018
Ancestors Legacy Echtzeit-Strategie 22. Mai 2018
Dark Souls Remastered Action-Rollenspiel 25. Mai 2018
Abducted Action Mai 2018

JUNI    
Vampyr Action-RPG 05. Juni 2018

JULI    

AUGUST - ENDE 2018    
Fade to Silence Survival-RPG August 2018
Pathfinder: Kingmaker Rollenspiel August 2018
World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth Online-RPG September 2018
Playerunknown's Battlegrounds Mehrspieler-Shooter 21. Dezember 2018

2018, MIT TERMIN    
Where the Water Tastes Like Wine Adventure Anfang 2018
Flipping Death Adventure Frühjahr 2018
Horizon Chase Turbo Rennspiel Frühjahr 2018
Mulaka Action-Adventure Frühjahr 2018
Sunless Skies Rollenspiel Sommer 2018
The Crew 2 Rennspiel Sommer 2018
We Happy Few Action-Adventure Sommer 2018
Total War: Three Kingdoms Strategie Herbst 2018
Trüberbrook Adventure Herbst 2018
Mega Man 11 Platformer Ende 2018

Aquanox Deep Descent Action 1. Quartal 2018
Battlecursed Rollenspiel 1. Quartal 2018
Darq Adventure 1. Quartal 2018
Far: Lone Sails Adventure 1. Quartal 2018
God's Trigger Action 1. Quartal 2018
Griftlands Rollenspiel 1. Quartal 2018
Ironsight Mehrspieler-Shooter 1. Quartal 2018
Medieval Kingdom Wars Echtzeit-Strategie 1. Quartal 2018
Moonlighter Action-Adventure 1. Quartal 2018
Morphies Law Action 1. Quartal 2018
Nova Nukers! Action 1. Quartal 2018
Stardrop Adventure 1. Quartal 2018
State of Mind Adventure 1. Quartal 2018
Tanneberg Mehrspieler-Shooter 1. Quartal 2018
The Swords of Ditto Action-RPG 1. Quartal 2018
They Are Billions Echtzeit-Strategie 1. Quartal 2018
Transference Thriller 1. Quartal 2018
Unruly Heroes Jump & Run 1. Quartal 2018
Voidrunner Action 1. Quartal 2018
Warhammer: Vermintide 2 Mehrspieler-Shooter 1. Quartal 2018
Wild West Online Mehrspieler-Action 1. Quartal 2018

Bannermen Echtzeit-Strategie 2. Quartal 2018
BattleTech Rundentaktik 2. Quartal 2018
Call of Cthulhu Rollenspiel 2. Quartal 2018
Crackdown 3 Action 2. Quartal 2018
Die Gilde 3 Wirtschaftssimulation 2. Quartal 2018
Immortal: Unchained Action-RPG 2. Quartal 2018
Lost Ember Adventure 2. Quartal 2018
Mega Man X Collection Action 2. Quartal 2018
State of Decay 2 Action 2. Quartal 2018
System Shock Remake Shooter-RPG 2. Quartal 2018

Avorion Weltraum-Action 3. Quartal 2018
Dispatcher: Revoke Action 3. Quartal 2018
Jurassic World: Evolution Aufbau-Strategie 3. Quartal 2018
Lonely Mountains: Downhill Rennspiel 3. Quartal 2018

Kursk Adventure 2. Halbjahr 2018
Oddworld: Soulstorm Action-Adventure 2. Halbjahr 2018
Underworld Ascendant Rollenspiel 2. Halbjahr 2018

Anno 1800 Aufbau-Strategie 4. Quartal 2018
Anthem Action 4. Quartal 2018
Ashes of Creation Online-RPG 4. Quartal 2018
Blackroom Ego-Shooter 4. Quartal 2018
City of Titans Online-RPG 4. Quartal 2018
Corven: Path of Redemption Rollenspiel 4. Quartal 2018
Dual Universe Sandbox-MMOG 4. Quartal 2018
Monster Hunter: World Rollenspiel 4. Quartal 2018
Phoenix Point Rundentaktik 4. Quartal 2018
Pine Action-Adventure 4. Quartal 2018
The Gardens Between Puzzlespiel 4. Quartal 2018
Two Point Hospital Wirtschaftssimulation 4. Quartal 2018
Battalion 1944 Mehrspieler-Shooter 1. Quartal 2019

2018, OHNE TERMIN    
Ashen Action-RPG 2018
Biomutant Action-RPG 2018
Black Mesa (Xen-Levels) Ego-Shooter 2018
Camelot Unchained Online-RPG 2018
Children of Morta Action-RPG 2018
Darksiders 3 Action-Adventure 2018
Dauntless Action-RPG 2018
DayZ Survival-Action 2018
Death's Gambit Plattformer 2018
Donut County Adventure 2018
Dreadnought Action 2018
Drone Swarm Echtzeitstrategie 2018
Dropzone Echtzeitstrategie 2018
EITR Action-RPG 2018
Escape from Tarkov Mehrspieler-Shooter 2018
Factorio Aufbau-Strategie 2018
Far Home VR-Shooter 2018
Fear the Wolves Battle-Royal-Shooter 2018
Greedfall Rollenspiel 2018
GTFO Horror-Shooter 2018
GTR 3 Rennspiel 2018
Guacamelee! 2 Action-Adventure 2018
Gwent: The Witcher Card Game Strategie 2018
Hellbound Action 2018
Insurgency: Sandstorm Mehrspieler-Shooter 2018
Iron Harvest Echtzeitstrategie 2018
Kingdom: Two Crowns Aufbau-Strategie 2018
Life is Feudal: MMO Online-RPG 2018
Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries Action 2018
Metro: Exodus Ego-Shooter 2018
Mothergunship Action 2018
Mount & Blade 2 Mittelalter-Action 2018
Northgard Aufbaustrategie 2018
Ooblets Adventure 2018
Overkill's The Walking Dead Action 2018
Oxygen Not Included Aufbaustrategie 2018
Phantom Doctrine Rundentaktik 2018
Praey for the Gods Action-Adventure 2018
Project Phoenix Rollenspiel 2018
Psychonauts 2 Action-Adventure 2018
Quake Champions Mehrspieler-Shooter 2018
Scorn Action-Adventure 2018
Scum Mehspieler-Action 2018
Skull and Bones Action 2018
Smoke and Sacrifice Survival-RPG  
Soul Calibur 6 Beat 'em Up 2018
Space Hulk: Tactics Rundentaktik 2018
Spelunky 2 Platformer 2018
Star Citizen (Squadron 42) Weltraum-Action 2018
Sunless Skies Sportspiel 2018
The Bard's Tale 4 Rollenspiel 2018
Banner Saga 3 Strategie 2018
The Church in the Darkness Action-Adventure 2018
The Last Night Adventure 2018
Total War: Arena Echtzeitstrategie 2018
Tropico 6 Aufbaustrategie 2018
Tunic Adventure 2018
Valnir Rok Online-RPG 2018
Warhammer 40k: Inquisitor - Martyr Action-RPG 2018
Wattam Adventure 2018

source (http://www.pcgames.de/Spiele-Thema-239104/News/PC-2017-Release-Termine-1215262/)

Edited by JeffersonGER

Still too early to call it, I haven't been sailing yet. But I feel like the release of 0.8 really improved my experience  with this game. I had such a nice session last night (minus the griefer now dead on the ship he built with my stolen goods.)