Sign in to follow this  
Pharaun Mizzrym

Multiplayer Burnout - 24/7 Lies

I love Multiplayer because I want the random encounters with other players. 

But first I have to find a server that works.  As in no lag no disconnects.  And I do find them btw.   But those OFFICIAL SERVERS are not always the stable ones.  Plus they can be insanely boring.  The server host of the OFFICIAL SERVERS has often used a generic world with few mineral sources.  Or something else that is offsetting like same old landscape we have all seen 1000 times no improv.  The non-official servers often work better with less lag than the officials.  And have people being more creative with the actual landscape (not just showcasing that they build the best boats) as in placing more minerals and animals.  But it does not matter if you are OFFICIAL or you are independent.  I am lucky to get one maybe two days to build in your server before BYE BYE.  You are gone no where to be found and you never come back.

At this point some Johnny is going to comment on my thread, "Join my discord podcast official server open 24hrs night and day never shuts down I swear it!"  You are lying.  And lagging.  Everyone shuts their server down in a few days time.  E V E R Y O N E    And if you really are that one bloke who's server is still running along a month later it is going to be one I cannot join because of disconnect issues or lag. 

So Multiplayer burnout is eventual because I can only build my bamboo hut 1000 times just to loose it before omg this is getting old.  I want to play with others but I don't want to loose my stuff after two days of play cause gone away.

At this point some Johnny is going to comment on my thread, "So make your own world and host it!"

No one joins my world and I have no way to gauge if anyone is trying to join and my server is failing and kicking them.  I might have more luck if I leave up a world and invite a friend so I can at least get in the 1/8 charts.  Maybe others would try to join if they thought I'm populated.  But without being able to see if anyone is trying to join and getting d/c'd there is no point.  And I am not turning into a Discord Jokey either so I can ask people how their experience was.  Not my thing.

Letting people host their own worlds is neat.  But how do you get a host to stay and never go away?  Offer them some incentive rewards for keeping their world open longer maybe?

• Like 1

I have been playing on the same server(well no, it had restarts because of updates or some game breaking bug) for like a month or so. Where do you live?

• Upvote 1

i tried a   different  server once ..and   spawned in the midst  of  about  15   others  with offensive and  crude names ....   i was immediately  fired upon by someone with a crossbow  who was   luckily  for me  a bad shot.

I evaded   the onslaught  but was stopped by  some  guy in  a propeller  pack  and obviously  a  creator  cube... who suggested i go to another  island   ..and  it  was his server,   so   can you disagree when  a guy with a   crossbow   "tells  you " to do so?

He  dropped me on a tiny   island with no resources and a  simple  hut ...  i then realized  he was simply playing games with me .. this was one of   his  gulags .

I logged out never to return  ...     and i   have never seen his server online   since  despite his  platitudes  it  was a  24/7    server run by  him

Humbug  -  just someone with an  ego   ..  if he was a good  admin then those    crude    people  around  the   spawn area would a have  been removed..if he  knew how!

• Upvote 1

I think a lot of people want to have their server run 24/7 but the server software just cant do it at this point in time. Most servers you are lucky to get a week of play time until it becomes unplayable due to the lag. The servers need to be fixed before 24/7 hosting is viable.

• Upvote 1

This comes back to what i originally said to the devs.. but was brushed off..

The save file cannot hold everything.. this in turn will cause lagg.. shoving everyone's characters, items spawn, world data, in a file will cause issues...

From experience running servers any file that goes over the 20MB mark tends to start slowing down servers and lagg starts at regular intervals..

I personally think not having shoved into a single save will solve some lagg issues... having separate files for characters and accounts and world data, would probably improve things.

lessen the size of the save file overall, probably to only a few MB's.. thus making it a non issue..  also less need for using the editor for changing things, less server downtime.. 

But I'll get brushed off again by the dev's... they wont even trial it...

• Upvote 1

Not gonna lie - my server lags and encounters bugs and disconnects on a regular basis.  Despite all my best intentions to keep it well maintained and free of asshats, corpses, excavations, and depleted minerals, you still won't have a 24/7 perfect experience.  Not even close.  And I don't think anyone would disagree that I'm one of the more active admins around here.

The save file is in excess of 50MB now, it has been running in its current generation state since 0.7 dropped, and there are significant builds within the 12 Ylands on the map.  There are a group of regulars that are on every day, usually around 6 people during peak, and they are for the most part spread out among the Ylands.  Whenever they come together for some group adventuring, all hell breaks loose.  Boats disappear, people disappear, boats get stuck, people get disconnected, actions get delayed, actions become inactions, people die, and then it becomes a prolonged exercise of search and rescue.  I don't know how many boats/ships we've lost now, but at least people respawn to within 12 known points in the world.

Yes, the devs have been doing what they can to address things, but I agree with the OP - all of this is forcing a lot of players to burn out on Multiplayer.  And yes, this is Early Access, so the caveats are out there and known, but these are human beings and it's easy to become disenfranchised even with those caveats known.

I'll continue to do what I can for this game and this community because I think there's a lot of potential with this type of game, but I can't afford to spend all of my time babysitting the server - that has to be addressed.  I don't mind resetting a corrupted world every once in a while, but to have to constantly maintain and address issues so that people have a somewhat stable multiplayer experience, that's a full-time job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/14/2018 at 7:23 AM, Baz Foobar said:

Not gonna lie - my server lags and encounters bugs and disconnects on a regular basis.  Despite all my best intentions to keep it well maintained and free of asshats, corpses, excavations, and depleted minerals, you still won't have a 24/7 perfect experience.  Not even close.  And I don't think anyone would disagree that I'm one of the more active admins around here.

The save file is in excess of 50MB now, it has been running in its current generation state since 0.7 dropped, and there are significant builds within the 12 Ylands on the map.  There are a group of regulars that are on every day, usually around 6 people during peak, and they are for the most part spread out among the Ylands.  Whenever they come together for some group adventuring, all hell breaks loose.  Boats disappear, people disappear, boats get stuck, people get disconnected, actions get delayed, actions become inactions, people die, and then it becomes a prolonged exercise of search and rescue.  I don't know how many boats/ships we've lost now, but at least people respawn to within 12 known points in the world.

Yes, the devs have been doing what they can to address things, but I agree with the OP - all of this is forcing a lot of players to burn out on Multiplayer.  And yes, this is Early Access, so the caveats are out there and known, but these are human beings and it's easy to become disenfranchised even with those caveats known.

I'll continue to do what I can for this game and this community because I think there's a lot of potential with this type of game, but I can't afford to spend all of my time babysitting the server - that has to be addressed.  I don't mind resetting a corrupted world every once in a while, but to have to constantly maintain and address issues so that people have a somewhat stable multiplayer experience, that's a full-time job.

You're doing a great thing for the community Foobar! Please keep at it. Ylands needs good servers.