Stephenw1992

Editor Tutorial Series (videos and requests)

Hey everyone, I've been asked a few times to start creating youtube tutorials and although my mic sounds terrible, here's the first!
This video is to help players learn the basics of the tools and to help overcome the intimidating feeling some players get when loading editor up for the first time.

Join https://discord.gg/w2eYWTJ to contact me or ask questions to use in videos!

• Upvote 3

If all goes well, i'll be uploading #2 and 3 tonight!

The video's will be looking into compositions and everything regarding the workshop and some tips on building to help speed it up and some things players may not know! 

Video number 2: A quick run down of the workshop and using compositions now available!

Edited by Stephenw1992
  • Upvote 1

Episode #4 is here and we're finally on logics!

Today i'm looking at different ways in which you can teleport a player between a preset place of your choosing or a place of a players choosing as well as tips on how you can limit its usage!

• Upvote 1

First off, Thank you for the tutorials. Yours and P1Gamings tutorials are very helpful.

I am currently working on a project, I got the rooms done but what I want to know is if I have, lets say, 5 switches next to each other. All five do something different (I figured that part out already) but is there a way to add a logic or some way of disabling all the other switches once one is pulled

So there are 5 switches
[1] [2] [3] [4] [5]

Player pulls switch 3
Player interacts with what I have set for switch 3 but now switches 1,2,4 and 5 are disabled.

Hope you understand.

On 21/03/2018 at 9:31 PM, Kage'd said:

First off, Thank you for the tutorials. Yours and P1Gamings tutorials are very helpful.

I am currently working on a project, I got the rooms done but what I want to know is if I have, lets say, 5 switches next to each other. All five do something different (I figured that part out already) but is there a way to add a logic or some way of disabling all the other switches once one is pulled

So there are 5 switches
[1] [2] [3] [4] [5]

Player pulls switch 3
Player interacts with what I have set for switch 3 but now switches 1,2,4 and 5 are disabled.

Hope you understand.

Thank you, glad they help :)

I'm not sure if red will get a chance but if i can, i'll try to get it recorded over the weekend for you :)

6 hours ago, Stephenw1992 said:

Thank you, glad they help :)

I'm not sure if red will get a chance but if i can, i'll try to get it recorded over the weekend for you :)

You guys are awesome! Keep up the great tutorials.

• Thanks 1

a little later than i would have liked to get this done but here's #5
Today i'm working with NPCs and the logic for trading. The video will help you learn how to set up a basic vendor or in a way that refreshes their stock everyday or you can have different stock every day!

• Upvote 1

@Kage'd here's the answer to one of your questions, if i get a chance next week i'll try to cover your other question!
Today i'm looking at setting up a set of levers which turn each other and their logics off when switched:

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Today we're taking a look int NPCs again with #7: NPC logics part 2!

Check this video out for various ways you can use NPCs (psst... you can also use an animal) for dialogue, passwords, speech, trading etc!

• Upvote 1

Hey guys!

Today in #8 we're looking at @Kage'dsecond question with a tutorial and demonstration on how to build circular/round structures using the logics and blocks in editor!

5abae384db841_SelfBuildingDome.gif.3a72d70e69f054c9eecfd8e79ce8f915.gif

Edited by Stephenw1992
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Dang that's awesome. I really do appreciate the time you put in to filling the video request. Like always, keep up the outstanding work and I'm sure I'll have more request later on down the line.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Kage'd said:

Dang that's awesome. I really do appreciate the time you put in to filling the video request. Like always, keep up the outstanding work and I'm sure I'll have more request later on down the line.

Glad they help!

Dood! I'm not smart enough to follow this toot even trying to step-by-step from the video. it would take me longer than free placing all those blocks lol. 

You are a logics Guru! 

6 hours ago, Stephenw1992 said:

Hey guys!

Today in #8 we're looking at @Kage'dsecond question with a tutorial and demonstration on how to build circular/round structures using the logics and blocks in editor!

5abae384db841_SelfBuildingDome.gif.3a72d70e69f054c9eecfd8e79ce8f915.gif

How much of a performance hit comes from overlapping so many blocks?  It would be interesting to see how many of these you could put on a random island before a noticeable drop in frame rate.  Im not a computer genius but I would think the overlapping would tax the graphics engine.  Don't get me wrong I think it's pretty cool that it can be done and im impressed I'm just wondering if it is practical.   

1 hour ago, Onedown said:

Im not a computer genius but I would think the overlapping would tax the graphics engine.  Don't get me wrong I think it's pretty cool that it can be done and im impressed I'm just wondering if it is practical. 

Not sure overlapping/ clipping has as much to do with it as just the number of objects, and rendering the visible textures that are RAM taxing. 

I'm not a computer wiz either, but I do know that say a small square building block in this game does not have 6 textured sides, it has 12, because the inside faces of the cube are also textured. 

If your computer is trying to sift this texture information at the the time it is visually rendered, and there are thousands of objects with too much information to process all at once... just my figurings. 

Edited by SyxtySyx

In my experience using the overlapping blocks, there doesn't seem to be more performance degradation than using the same number of blocks stacked neatly. you use more than you might in other structures due to the need to overlap here but otherwise it doesn't appear to be any different than using the same number of blocks for a square building.

As for the face of blocks being textured on the inside, I'm not sure that's the case here since when you move your camera to clip a block, you don't see the other side (inside) renders. it just appears invisible, like when you freecam under the terrain.

Of course i'm no computer expert either and this is just my own observation ^^

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Stephenw1992 said:

In my experience using the overlapping blocks, there doesn't seem to be more performance degradation than using the same number of blocks stacked neatly. you use more than you might in other structures due to the need to overlap here but otherwise it doesn't appear to be any different than using the same number of blocks for a square building.

I was also wondering if you can place compositions the same way you are placing the blocs with logic.  The reason I wondered is because if you can all you would need to do is make one arch part convert it to a composition and then rotate it around like you did the initial base ring.  If it would work it would eliminate a lot of work.

1 minute ago, Onedown said:

I was also wondering if you can place compositions the same way you are placing the blocs with logic.  The reason I wondered is because if you can all you would need to do is make one arch part convert it to a composition and then rotate it around like you did the initial base ring.  If it would work it would eliminate a lot of work.

There is multiple way you can do it, whether by creating an arch and clone, rotate and move them blocks, this was just an example of how i do it. unfortunately you won't be able to do it directly using a comp though in the way you mean. You can create a group of multiple blocks and drag them/move them around as one but when using logics it still has to be created for each individual block

• Like 1

yeah Stephenw1992 you are a machine with the logic.

We hope to continue enjoying these wonderful tutorials 9_9

Edited by spyler.1989

well my first test did not turn out exactly the same, but it's a start ^_^

20180328114905_1.thumb.jpg.5781a5c0115189487ffc0a605deedee9.jpg

Stephenw1992I have a doubt, it would be possible with this system to create some type of animation. That is, I made the composition of this dragonfly, would it be possible to give it movement?

20180325152209_1.thumb.jpg.f8452d4b35d696a7a01e469740540dfa.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spyler.1989 said:

well my first test did not turn out exactly the same, but it's a start ^_^

Practice make perfect! it took me a fair few hours to pin the first dome down so if at first you don't succeed, try and try again! with that first attempt you just forgot the "move entity instantly"

1 hour ago, spyler.1989 said:

Stephenw1992I have a doubt, it would be possible with this system to create some type of animation. That is, I made the composition of this dragonfly, would it be possible to give it movement?

that dragonfly is really cool! unfortunately while it would be possible I'd consider it unfeasible. With a lot of work, you COULD animate it but it would take a lot of hours to pin down where here, if they add the ability to move groups instead of just single entities, making that dragon fly would be a pretty unique feat!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1