Stephenw1992

Editor Tutorial Series (videos and requests)

I'm going to start a second thread because i'm really keen to see what you guys build using these video's, perhaps i could start projects and see what people come up with!

Based on the idea from 

How do you make an object move on it's own and in a direction of my choosing?

58 minutes ago, Kage'd said:

Based on the idea from 

How do you make an object move on it's own and in a direction of my choosing?

using the same logics in #8, you can use a time trigger to "move entity instantly" using relative- global or local.
this might take a bit of testing to figure out which axis to move it on and you will be able to use the time trigger (or other logic if you only want to move it once) to control how many times it is moved.

Try experimenting with move entity instantly using Relative-local co-ords, setting time between repeats as 0.1 seconds, move entity along an axis by 0.05 and set the number of repeats as 100.
This will help you figure out which axis moves it along which axis.

Combining this with rotate entity instantly will help you to change the direction it is moving.

4 minutes ago, Stephenw1992 said:

using the same logics in #8, you can use a time trigger to "move entity instantly" using relative- global or local.
this might take a bit of testing to figure out which axis to move it on and you will be able to use the time trigger (or other logic if you only want to move it once) to control how many times it is moved.

Try experimenting with move entity instantly using Relative-local co-ords, setting time between repeats as 0.1 seconds, move entity along an axis by 0.05 and set the number of repeats as 100.
This will help you figure out which axis moves it along which axis.

Combining this with rotate entity instantly will help you to change the direction it is moving.

I've already been messing around I just assumed you might want idea's for video request.

1 minute ago, Kage'd said:

I've already been messing around I just assumed you might want idea's for video request.

I already have one planned that will be using it and may have multiple. I have the next 3 videos planned and i think you'll like them! xD

Hey guys, sorry this one is late!

Today's Episode is looking at how you can use time triggers, event listeners and labels to build a fully functioning elevator!

Feel free to ask if you want to see the more advanced version and definitely subscribe to find out if i manage to build a fully controllable aircraft on friday!

• Like 2

Great videos! I'm trying to create a scenario where an animal or NPC chases and attacks the player. Is this possible? I can see that you can cause damage to be inflicted on the player during dialogue but can't figure out if there's a way for another entity to pursue or attack and deal damage that way.

1 hour ago, handofthesly said:

I'm trying to create a scenario where an animal or NPC chases and attacks the player. Is this possible?

I believe for NPC isn't possible yet until "Combat update" (CMIIW), for animal it's possible with aggressive animals, you just need to spawn it near the player.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, handofthesly said:

Great videos! I'm trying to create a scenario where an animal or NPC chases and attacks the player. Is this possible? I can see that you can cause damage to be inflicted on the player during dialogue but can't figure out if there's a way for another entity to pursue or attack and deal damage that way.

thank you :)
As Alfred said, in terms of combat, the only option you really have is spawning a hostile animal near them. theres no way to create a path for them to directly follow besides repeatedly teleporting them nor any way to have an npc hold and fire a gun (for example) at anything

1 hour ago, V-Alfred said:

I believe for NPC isn't possible yet until "Combat update" (CMIIW), for animal it's possible with aggressive animals, you just need to spawn it near the player.

20 minutes ago, Stephenw1992 said:

thank you :)
As Alfred said, in terms of combat, the only option you really have is spawning a hostile animal near them. theres no way to create a path for them to directly follow besides repeatedly teleporting them nor any way to have an npc hold and fire a gun (for example) at anything

Thanks guys, I probably should have clarified that it was going to be a passive animal. So it’s not possible to make passive animals or NPCs follow or attack a player yet. I’m guessing there isn’t a way to force an aggressive animal to attack/bite only once with a prompt either? Hopefully these features get added in the combat update you mentioned. 

4 hours ago, handofthesly said:

Thanks guys, I probably should have clarified that it was going to be a passive animal. So it’s not possible to make passive animals or NPCs follow or attack a player yet. I’m guessing there isn’t a way to force an aggressive animal to attack/bite only once with a prompt either? Hopefully these features get added in the combat update you mentioned. 

you can make any animal passive simply by adding a waypoint to it. there may be a way to make them bite/attack (not npcs) at allocated times but i'll have to do some experimenting later. i'll get back to you though

ok @handofthesly I guess its your lucky day!

I had a quick look into it and yes, you can limit when/how frequently a hostile animal can attack with pretty simple logic. The setup in how the hostile is spawned/placed and how this is activated would be customizable to any situation (eg trigger zone to spawn an enemy, a preplaced enemy in a cave).

to start off with, you need a label on the player, in my example i've assigned a label to the player in the player role. you need a label on the enemy (i tested this with trigger and target object with no luck), a event listener ready to set up and a plain stand waypoint.
Here i directly assigned the label but in a situation where you are spawn an enemy in, you have the option to assign label in the spawn entity action.Ylands_180407_125947.thumb.png.ea28f9353ec05a673c1e63d5a6bd8cd8.png

To set the event listener up, simply change it to be:
"interaction with a labelled entity"
"<player assigned label>" (ie it should be listening for the player being damaged)
"damage"
actions:

#0: "perform action with entity"
"labelled entity"
"<hostile animal label>"
"set waypoint"
"<the plain waypoint to make the animal stop and stand>"

#1: "delay following action"
change to how long you want of a delay before it attacks again

#2: "perform action with entity"
"labelled entity"
"<hostile animal label>"
"set waypoint"
"None" (this removes the waypoint and enables the animal to chase and damage again)

Ylands_180407_130002.thumb.png.fd804ba951aefe552fa45472d6b15043.pngYlands_180407_130010.thumb.png.c02cfe144f8f9dba9e997d2dbe63015e.png

Enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Who wouldn't enjoy a chilled out evening in a hot air balloon, reading a book???
Currently working on episode #10: Taking flight!5ac98f87409ef_hotairballoongif.gif.3e5bbf04ca74b6f7664751599338bc89.gif

• Like 1

Hey guys, I just wanted to say thank you for your patience while i've been working on this one. a change with medication knocked me back a bit but the video is recorded and edited! My pc is just processing and uploading it now so keep an eye out :)

Hey guys, Here it is!!
#10: Taking flight, I looked at how you can set up a (surprisingly) simple flying ship or a hot air balloon customised however you want! 

• Like 1

I love the balloon stephen the effect of fire is wonderful9_9

and that spacecraft looks very good.
How did you add all that to the list? you are really crazy :SxD

Now I'm tied up with a treasure room but when I finish I'll keep doing tests with this.

2 minutes ago, spyler.1989 said:

I love the balloon stephen the effect of fire is wonderful9_9

and that spacecraft looks very good.
How did you add all that to the list? you are really crazy :SxD

Now I'm tied up with a treasure room but when I finish I'll keep doing tests with this.

lol a few long hours to have everything assigned while trying my hardest to hold on to some form of sanity.
I think there is around 1500 objects assigned now.

• Haha 1

Thanks Stephenw1992 for helping out with my previous question. I now have another regarding hunger in the Editor.

Does anyone know of a way to make a player hungry or starving without having to naturally wait? Using deplete on a labelled entity/player role (the player) doesn't seem to work using + or - values.  I'm still not quite sure how hunger mechanics work in this game.

I am also wondering if there is a way to use game logics to force the player to:
* eat food and/or non-food items
* to equip armor, weapons, items
either from their hands or their inventory and maybe even pick the item up off the floor first

Many thanks!

Edited by handofthesly

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 2:18 PM, Stephenw1992 said:

Hey guys!

Today in #8 we're looking at @Kage'dsecond question with a tutorial and demonstration on how to build circular/round structures using the logics and blocks in editor!

5abae384db841_SelfBuildingDome.gif.3a72d70e69f054c9eecfd8e79ce8f915.gif

Is there a working link to this tutorial?  I need to learn how to do this. @Stephenw1992