Sign in to follow this  
Aleš Ulm

Dev Diary #30

Hey there, fellow ylanders!

If nothing unexpected happens, this should be the last Dev Diary before update 0.8 is released. Things are once again super hectic in here (and because of that some of us may not be that active on forums as usual) so today I’m not going to talk about any details, instead I would like to give you some tips on what you can do with your time before you get your hands on “Meaningful Music” - namely some really nice games that some of you made and shared with the community through the Workshop. Most of them are still work in progress and contain bugs but they are already lot of fun. We check those regularly so I asked our designer @Rudy.cz to pick some he likes and tell you what to expect.

Entombed
https://ylands.net/asset/211
Find yourself trapped inside an ancient Egyptian pyramid accompanied by a strange cat statue, which is helping you find your way out. Overcome various traps, challenging puzzles and dangerous enemies and discover the story behind this mysterious place.
Nice storytelling, clever use of game logics and attention to detail makes this one of the best scenarios currently at the Workshop.

PROJECT LOST DHARMA
https://ylands.net/asset/306
A lot of passion went to this game which places the player on an yland full of danger and discovery. Through this scenario players will visit several well-thought areas, each with its own challenges and mystery, culminating in the discovery of the true meaning of this enigmatic Project Dharma.
Well built world with many original ideas makes this scenario worth a try.

Dharma.PNG
Remember that cool Dharma Initiative in "Lost"? Well, Ylands now has a mysterious Dharma of its own... so what are you waiting for? :) 

Scenario for the air crash
https://ylands.net/asset/148
This short game does not actually provide a long story or any extra challenges, but it's a very cleverly designed "cinematic intro" explaining why you have found yourself lost on a deserted yland.

Scavenger Hunt and Survival
https://ylands.net/asset/115
Simple, but yet well-made game which adds to your usual survive-on-an-yland business a simple background story and a goal to strive to.

Hospital. Scary game  (BETA)
https://ylands.net/asset/201
A very promising game, still very work-in-progress, but already showing huge potential. The hospital itself is well designed, nicely built and really scary just on its own.

Hopefully you will have fun playing these, and before you know it, we’ll be back with the next Sneak Peek, in which we will discuss many cool features coming with the update 0.9. Until then you have a great time, ylanders, and stay classy!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

First! ;)

Thank you for the great game BI and thank you for the feedback on my scenario! it was a huge help!

I hope you guys enjoy my scenario (Entombed) and my friends (Project Lost Dharma) and would love to hear any feedback players have!

Edited by Stephenw1992
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I agree with all you told (Stephenw1992). Thx for feedback on my scenario (PROJECT LOST DHARMA) and on my friends scenario (Entombed). I hope you enjoy it and bring more feedback from other players to my mail or some stars on workshop :-) :-)  thx

• Like 3

Hey Dev's, will we have to start a new map again in Single Player for the updates to work? If so, is there anyway to move a current save to be played on with the new update? Or, just a case of saving everything in the editor as a compositions?
Thanks

8 hours ago, Mitch Treader said:

Hey Dev's, will we have to start a new map again in Single Player for the updates to work? If so, is there anyway to move a current save to be played on with the new update? Or, just a case of saving everything in the editor as a compositions?
Thanks

In this update there shouldn't be anything that requires you to start a new game in order to have it. The only thing I can think of are the new avatars, you'll have to start a new game in order to have them obviously :)

• Thanks 1

one of the things mentioned in the 0.7 update was NPCs to trade with. i haven;t come across any of these on the official servers.

will any of the official servers be reset when 0.8 is released?

1 hour ago, Ane said:

In this update there shouldn't be anything that requires you to start a new game in order to have it. The only thing I can think of are the new avatars, you'll have to start a new game in order to have them obviously :)

Thank you. Just thought I'd ask. Looking forward to there release.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, plleg said:

one of the things mentioned in the 0.7 update was NPCs to trade with. i haven;t come across any of these on the official servers.

will any of the official servers be reset when 0.8 is released?

You should be able to come across NPCs on official Explore servers as regular random encounters.

I believe servers are always reset whenever there's a new update.

1 hour ago, Ane said:

You should be able to come across NPCs on official Explore servers as regular random encounters.

I believe servers are always reset whenever there's a new update.

shortly after 0.7 arrived i believe they were removed from explore maps because they were corrupting saves? were they added back in?

Just now, Stephenw1992 said:

shortly after 0.7 arrived i believe they were removed from explore maps because they were corrupting saves? were they added back in?

No, that was about downloading the NPC from the Workshop and adding it to an Explore game (the NPC was added back to the Workshop eventually).

paces back and  forth .... Are we there  yet...?   .....waits   5  minutes .....  Are we there  yet...? .........

:D

Hi guys,

just a quick note - we decided to include two more MP fixes that weren't planned to be there and because of that we will have the build ready to be released sometime tomorrow... but since we have a rule that unless it's really necessary we don't release updates on Fridays (especially ones with rather important fixes and changes) so that everyone here is ready to react if something with the update goes wrong, the update will be out on Monday.

I know we said we expected the update to be released late this week, but I think the delay is worth it. Thank you for your understanding :)

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Aleš Ulm said:

Hi guys,

just a quick note - we decided to include two more MP fixes that weren't planned to be there and because of that we will have the build ready to be released sometime tomorrow... but since we have a rule that unless it's really necessary we don't release updates on Fridays (especially ones with rather important fixes and changes) so that everyone here is ready to react if something with the update goes wrong, the update will be out on Monday.

I know we said we expected the update to be released late this week, but I think the delay is worth it. Thank you for your understanding :)

It happens.  As a consolation, any chance you can provide the changelog ahead of time so we know what to look forward to?

To be honest we'd rather not to :) - it happened to us in the past that we actually had to remove (even though rather small) feature from a build we thought was ready for release or that a critical issue appeared and we had to postpone the release couple more days (that shouldn't happen but really anything is possible in software development). Also presenting it earlier would inevitably lead to discussions which we at this point have no time to pay attention to fully :) 

I hope that as a consolation you will accept tomorrows Dev Diary where I will talking about things we are planning for 0.9 and which I think will rather pretty interesting. ;) 

I know it's not a negotiation, but since the release is ready for tomorrow and the only reason it's going out on Monday is to make sure you have sufficient support resources on hand to deal with issues upon release, how about a changelog for tomorrow (Friday)?  Surely that would address the concerns you brought up?

Either way, it's your game.  We're just hosting and playing it.  And as far as 0.9 is concerned, at this point as long as it fixes all of the problems we've been reporting in MP (some of which are seriously game-breaking), I'm all for it.

Nice try! :D Seriously though - until the update is out anything can happen (some of us will keep testing it even beyond the usual QA during the weekend etc.).