TheJStrickland

[SUGGESTION] Bigger Boats?

Question

I feel like we need a much much larger ship, at least for multiplayer. Here's why;

The large ship we already have is great, don't get me wrong. It's a decent size for everything you need, but this is only decent enough for one person. Playing with 2/3 of my friends, ships can get very crowded relatively quick, especially if we're packing up to explore a new island and need our crafting items. On multiple occasions we would accidently push each other overboard or fall off due to lack of room. Not only this, but once more players are on an island, resources are used up much quicker, therefore the option of building a boat for a crew of 1/2 is a much harder feat.

The small ship size also really silences the huge amount of creativity I know many people are capable off. So many creations I see with massive ships are hugely put off by a tiny little unrealistic hull sitting at the bottom, as the is no other choice to build these things :(

To defeat issues like this, I think a great idea would be a much larger ship, perhaps twice the length of the current max size, and triple the width? I know I saw a lot of suggestions for a built in hull space, which I think is a great idea. This would mean a lot of ship builds would be less messy and cluttered, especially with the current ship+building on ship small bugs.

Watching Youtube videos on the game will show you quickly just how popular the boat/ship function in the game is, and in all honesty everybody's childhood pirate loving side comes out when building said ship. I feel like a much bigger sized ship would really, really expand on this and make the game even greater!

Edited by TheJStrickland
  • Upvote 3

8 replies to this bug / suggestion

I have to agree, this sounds like an ace idea. Also a steel ship would be quite an exciting thing to work towards. Maybe make it so people really have to band together to build them. 
However I digress, please actually make the ships work before adding more stuff that could potentially break them. 
Thank you.  I have attached a pic of my ships so far. 

Ylands_180316_175134.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

A different  range of  hulls  would be   great ....  some  lower   or  with  flatter  keels  ... and  maybe  a bit  wider.   The current curved shape that  bows  out in the  middle  is not  really   conducive to   building on... perhaps   straighter  sides ?:D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, kimbuck said:

A different  range of  hulls  would be   great ....  some  lower   or  with  flatter  keels  ... and  maybe  a bit  wider.   The current curved shape that  bows  out in the  middle  is not  really   conducive to   building on... perhaps   straighter  sides ?:D

for me a very good solution for this, is to put a block that makes the ship function and everything that is built from the is the boat. This would give incredible freedom :)

but you can really get a big size in survival mode and in the editor you can really make the boat as big as you want.

https://ylands.net/asset/265

20180225100428_1.thumb.jpg.9bb0539a0d115c572fcb70a4ebd5fbe5.jpg20180319124353_1.thumb.jpg.5770ddc8bfa1b9dd417244b7d20731cf.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/19/2018 at 4:52 AM, spyler.1989 said:

and in the editor you can really make the boat as big as you want.

FREEDOM!!!Ylands_180325_063032.thumb.png.555ae51cce52a24b88b6c104734f1f26.png

• Haha 1

How about fixing the boats we have first? Glitchy McGlitcherson, certain death on the high seas.

Also, how do you sail that monster? I can't see easily with just sails on her.

• Downvote 1

I'd much rather like to see hollow hulls, and lower hull edges. This gives us the possibility to make 1,5 extra floors, so either a sleeker ship with an extra floor below the waterline or a taller ship with 2 extra floors. This would greatly increase available space. Also some more modern hull shapes would be cool, think catamaran, something more square/barge like, some longer/narrower, etc.

Best solution for me would be modular ship hulls, with multiple different bows, sterns, and middle sections so you can mix and match, and also create the ship length you need. Like the Lego parts.

Edited by WijkagentAdrie
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, bojo2736 said:

Also, how do you sail that monster? I can't see easily with just sails on her.

Lots of windows make it easier to see while sailing. :P

Ylands_180325_120859.png

• Haha 2

I'm all for adding things that make a lot of people happy but to be serious I think we'll be lucky to have a game that works for the vast majority of people by August.  If they manage that I can see them adding in something bigger later.