Sign in to follow this  
Baz Foobar

UNDER REVIEW [YLD-9259] Player locks up dedicated server by logging in - all other player clients lock up as well

Question

Here's a new one - started up a new test server using an editor-generated map.  Things were working fine until one of our player testers crashed while on their boat and after logging back in, lost control of their character (flailing around endlessly unable to move).  Ever since then, every time they attempt to log in, it gets to 100% and then locks up the server.  The headless monitor times out whenever attempting to communicate to the server, and all other players lock up.  The server process has to be forcibly ended and clients have to end their tasks as well to restart.

The log has an error that is spammed repeatedly:

[ER] [00:04:30.86] Exception in ExecutePlayerCommand.Move
+t ylands.CharacterSimulationController.ApplyMotion (CharacterMovementInstructions, Int32, Boolean)
ylands.CharacterSimulationController.SimulateDefaultMovement (Int32)
ylands.CharacterSimulationController.SimulateOwner ()
Bolt.Entity.Simulate ()
BoltCore.Poll ()
BoltPoll.FixedUpdate ()

[EX] [00:04:30.86] System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
+t TerrainEngine.TerrainDatas.GetByteAndFloat (Int32, Int32, Int32, Byte&, Single&)
TerrainEngine.TerrainBlock.GetByteAndFloat (Int32, Int32, Int32, Byte&, Single&, Boolean)
ylands.SwimInfo.UpdateInfo (WorldEngine, Vector3, SwimInfo&)
ylands.CharacterMotor.MoveAndUpdateWaterInfo (Character, Single, Single)
ylands.CharacterMotor.Move_FreeFall (Character, CharacterMovementInstructions, Single, Nullable`1&, Boolean)
ylands.CharacterMotor.Move (Character, CharacterMovementInstructions, Int32, Boolean)
ylands.CharacterSimulationController.ApplyMotion (CharacterMovementInstructions, Int32, Boolean)
Logged at
ylands.CharacterSimulationController.ApplyMotion (CharacterMovementInstructions, Int32, Boolean)
ylands.CharacterSimulationController.SimulateDefaultMovement (Int32)
ylands.CharacterSimulationController.SimulateOwner ()
Bolt.Entity.Simulate ()
BoltCore.Poll ()
BoltPoll.FixedUpdate ()

As the log and save files are large, I'll zip it up and share the link with Ane.  Hope this is something that can be addressed easily, as this is something that impacts the entire server rather than just one player.

• Upvote 3

15 replies to this bug / suggestion

If it makes any difference, load in seems normal until recalling buildings. 

• Upvote 1

I got the files, thanks for the help!

• Upvote 1

On 3/20/2018 at 4:27 AM, Ane said:

I got the files, thanks for the help!

Any update on this?  I know you want to find the root cause to prevent it from happening on other servers, but for the immediate issue - is there a way for me to simply remove the player in question and have them re-roll a fresh character?  On a related note, is there some documentation available on the save file for us software techie types to create some additional save file editing outside of the editor without having to reverse engineer it?

• Upvote 1

I see this was marked resolved - how was it resolved?  Nobody ever contacted me regarding the resolution of this.  Was it fixed in 0.8 or something?  If so, should I now be able to use that original map under 0.8?

• Upvote 1

I believe this was marked resolved in error as it is happening again to players on a server i play on less than twelve hours ago. Its still on the front page though so i expect some traffic to this bug in the days to come, don't give up hope Baz!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Evilskrod said:

I believe this was marked resolved in error as it is happening again to players on a server i play on less than twelve hours ago. Its still on the front page though so i expect some traffic to this bug in the days to come, don't give up hope Baz!

Ouch, hopefully it gets resolved for that server then.  We've since walked away from that map that had the problem, so it's really not something we need anymore, but I wanted to confirm that this issue was fixed just in case it ever happened again (which apparently is the case on the server you play on).  I still have the original map though, so I can spin it back up again and test things out if the devs addressed it, but as I mentioned - nobody has reached out to me regarding this issue which I considered game-breaking.  Fortunately, this wasn't a widespread issue with servers being shutdown constantly.

My server just started having this issue yesterday. I glitched the top of my propeller into some gravel that I built up, even after a 20 min rollback, we are having issues with the server dropping after locking up the players on the server. All players have to exit the game from the Task Manager and I have to reboot the server, only for it to continue crashing now. It totally crashed and created a crash.dmp and error file. I have included those as well as the change_log files. I hope these files help. I think I have to wipe the server to correct this error so we can all play again. I even too the game file to the editor after the roll back to make sure no one else caused this issue, and everyone seems fine. To my dismay, we are still having the server lock up and drop and the crash.dmp happened today after rebooting the server again. I was the only player in the game.

Okay, well the crash.dmp file won't allow me to send it to you. The next 2 files are the DsLog and DsLog_clean from the server. The next 2 are from my own account.

I also included the url to my youtube when this happened as I was making a video, you can clearly see the glitched propeller pack in the gravel ground @ 27:12 is when this happens, and @27:37 you see why. I also had the FPS up when this happened.

I hope all this information helps you all greatly with tracking down the issue. Thank you. Love the game!

error.log

YlandsDsLog.txt

YlandsDsLog_clean.txt

output_log.txt

output_log_clean.txt

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 7

Mm my bad if the issue wasn't completely fixed then. Our testers marked the issue as fixed, as relogs were no longer stucking players and 100% stuck no longer appeared.

I'll reopen the issue with the new info!

• Upvote 1

Looks like our server has this problem again.  Any update on this?  This is literally game-breaking.  I should clarify that this isn't just players getting stuck at log in - this is literally locking up the entire dedicated server and preventing anyone from doing anything until it is restarted, only to go back into this state if the player attempts to log in again which repeats the whole issue.

Edited by Baz Foobar
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Baz Foobar said:

Looks like our server has this problem again.  Any update on this?  This is literally game-breaking.  I should clarify that this isn't just players getting stuck at log in - this is literally locking up the entire dedicated server and preventing anyone from doing anything until it is restarted, only to go back into this state if the player attempts to log in again which repeats the whole issue.

No update, testers are currently looking into it.

• Upvote 1

It doesn't have to do with the props because when it happened with me, I didn't have a prop. 

• Upvote 1

It's now gotten to the point where the server freezes every night.  I'm taking the Foobar server down and will assess the situation in a future release.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

It's still being taken care of by the testers, so I don't have anything new to add, sadly.