Clinter

Ylands Multiplayer: Host Goes Offline - I get kicked off the server.

Good day all,

My friend and I have recently started playing this beautiful game, and we're totally hooked! My friend hosted a multiplayer game a couple of days ago for us to play - but whenever I try to go on the game (Main Menu: Continue) without her being online, it says that the game is "unavailable". Is there any way we can change this, so that I can play even when she's offline? (we're in completely different time zones, so sometimes it's hard for us to find a time when we can both play at the same time, but we would still like to explore the island together/build stuff on it/etc.)!

Can anyone help us? :)

Thanks in advance, fellow Ylanders!

That is how it works right now. Planned to be fixed in 0.9. Read the Dev Diary #31 for details.

Welcome to Ylands. It's a pretty great game, but still in Alpha. So be prepared for these things.

There are some good full time servers. When I get home I will PM the info to you. Right now most of them are in limbo waiting for the update.

The plus side to having a private server with your friends is you can password it to keep out the knuckleheads.  The downside you have already discovered.

A  lot of the  servers  need a reset as they have been allowed to  deteriorate  gamewise  due to the  expected  update and  its necessary  fixes/promises.

Its like  owning a car ...   if you are about to sell it  or trade it in on a new car,  you don't spend  money on unnecessary repairs on it  as you will not get any benefits... wait  for the new car. Same with  gamers .. its no use  creating  something   and  spending a  lot of  time  and  data usage   only to  know  it will be  useless and  wiped   in a few days. 

Whats  worrying  at the moment is that where i am its approaching the Easter holiday season, with useless boring TV programs  about   rabbits  and   other  cartoon characters  "saving   Easter",  or   long sessions of  religious leaders  parading around  in  fancy clothing  .... or   sport  replays.    Computer  games are a way of  maintaining  sanity, especially if the weekend weather is predicted to be  wet and  nasty. 

If theres no   update  before then,  well, expect the servers  to deteriorate   more quickly .. and  frustrated  gamers   go elsewhere, meaning  even  more  servers   going offline. So until the   update,   don't expect  to find  anything  decent to play on.

If theres no update, expect the  servers  to  get fewer  players,  mope  dedicated ones to  disappear opting to go  elsewhere.

I have  been   enjoying   playing on the  same  server as  bojo, and  a group of us   have  formed a co-operative  community ...we  work together, no griefing,  and when there is a   disaster/glitch...rally to rescue the  unfortunate player.

Sadly,  with the 0.7 version there's  more  rescue   than explore/create.  We look forward  to 0.8  restoring the   explore/gamers  experience.

The sooner   the better,  as gamers  are  an impatient  breed  and  will move on  if they cannot  enjoy  what they seek.O.o

Our  dedicated  server operator has  wisely  decided to  keep his  server  down and prepare  for the update  .. so we will start  with a "brave  new  exciting  world". if the update    takes  too long ...well ...?:(  there goes the  community  ...

Hopefully   this will not  happen and  you would be welcome to join our   fun group  on a server  run  by an admin   who doesn't put  up  with  kiddies who  go around destroying things ...like the one we had last  night.  It actually provided us with  fun, as this  persistent  griefer was trying to board boats,  set them in motion then  jump of and  do the same to others.  the  admin  solved the issue by  placing  Guard  mutant  bears on the boats  and  filling the water around them with sharks to deter un-welcome boarders.

We enjoyed  watching  from a distance  the  sharks  and  bears  having a  feast  of  griefers....

nether the less ,  we dont  expect this  to  happen on this  server  when 0.8  starts  up..  but it  was fun ti watch:D

Thanks for your responses, guys! This helps me a lot to understand how this all works in Ylands right now - because we didn't even think of playing  on a dedicated server to be honest... we shall wait until the update comes out though before we try something new really. We actually had a kiddie join our game yesterday too, doing the exact same thing! So frustrating when you finally get to build and craft all the fun stuff and someone is just able to rip it to pieces--- erghhhh!

@clinter ..if you are after a  dedicated server where they  don't tolerate the  destructive  kiddies and   feeble  minded  shoot-em-up idiots,    and you  like to create and explore and co-operate.....contact   baz  foobar...or  look for his server when it comes up on line after 0.8  update.¬¬  

• Upvote 1

@RedEagle_MGN also has some good servers.  I play on his and @Baz Foobar's server.  I like them both, but for fun and camaraderie, we have a great bunch at Foobars's place.  I haven't found "my place" on Red's server, but it is well run and everyone is nice and friendly. 

My friend and I would potentially like to join Baz Foobar's server, but what's it called in the Multiplayer Server menu? 

1 hour ago, Clinter said:

My friend and I would potentially like to join Baz Foobar's server, but what's it called in the Multiplayer Server menu? 

Search for Foobar - you are welcome and encouraged to join our Discord server as well. We use it to communicate since the game lacks a global chat system. 

You are welcome to join our adventures / disasters on Foobar's server. We are very friendly and co-operative.

• Like 1