Sign in to follow this  
kimbuck

Whats wrong with some people? They have no brain?

When you land at the spawn island there's signs all around  listing the  rules etc, and  stating its a pve  game and  co operation is  encouraged. No griefing  stealing  etc

Guess what ...area is  littered with corpses of  new arrivals  who   when offline  were slaughtered and looted by griefers.

And then  other regulars  come back online and  find  places looted where possible   and things destroyed... 

Well before i go  offline at night i screenshot  whose on line ..for the server admin to compare with saves and  take action if necessary.

Today  one player saw  someone  running from his place...yes they had looted his    house   he was chased  and he   boarded a raft and    tried to escape . the  pursuer found  some of the masts of  his  ship .had been destroyed

The  thief/griefer  when corned  climbed onto the ship running around trying to destroy items on the ship...   but the   server admin stepped in and nuked him.

Well what did this idiot  achieve?  firstly  a  BI account ban from this server  .and also his details and mates/assistants   details  passed to other  server  admins to add to the banning. Soon he will only be able to polay on those  open  servers where  he will meet th same  fate.

Will all these warnings   and banning  stop these  idiots ...  Short answer   no.!!    There's no  cure for  stupidity..

:P

• Haha 1

oh  dear  aparently   at spawn place  some  a...hat has   run around   stripped all the flint  stones and grass of the island  so   starters   are stuck there... despite the  server admin   replacing  stuff last night.

really,    what a  twerp!   

I dropped a few flint that I had managed to dig up, but didn't have time to dig stones. 

I don't know what the answer is. But Spring Break should be over soon.

I don't understand how they find that fun.  To me it's way more fun to leave offline players pleasant or strange surprises.  Not anything that would get them killed or hurt their game.

For example, I returned to my home base to find someone offline just in front of my door, so I planted a ton of grass and ferns around them.  Why?...  Why not.  (If I'd thought they were a griefer, I would have surrounded them with trees instead.)  And I made a point of leaving items I didn't need in baskets outside for other players to use if they needed them.

It took me hours to get resources to build a ship because I was going out of my way to not strip the island clean.

Definitely more griefers since the last refresh - likely a combination of people coming back to see if 0.8 improved their experience, students home for spring break, and maybe some new people who purchased the game.

In any event, I figure they're doing me (and other server non-griefing server admins) a favor.  Prove you're a griefer while you're still on spawn island and give us a chance to ban you early on before we have to deal with you later.  Thanks for speeding up the process! 

Note - I'm not on some power hungry admin trip here, we make it very clear that we are a non-griefing server via the server name, rules published on our Discord welcome channel, and in-game server-wide broadcasts every 5 minutes to remind players.  If they still manage to grief others after all of that and I have clear evidence of it (I cut a backup every few minutes so I can see what's going on throughout the day even if I'm not there to witness it), they get banned, no questions asked.  I simply don't have the time to deal with these guys trying to justify what they did or make excuses, and with all of the warnings provided up front, I don't see how there could be a viable excuse anyway.

There are plenty of no-holds barred servers out there, so it's not like I'm depriving them of the experience.

To other non-griefing server admins, if you're interested in sharing ban lists and the rules you use to ban said players, contact me - I've already shared with some of you.  No expectation of reciprocating bans, but feel free to use the information that suits you best - maybe you just scan your LAP lists to see if some of my bans are on your server and you keep an eye out.  As always, I would recommend performing your own investigations, but if this information is helpful, I'm happy to provide it.

6 hours ago, Indomitus said:

For example, I returned to my home base to find someone offline just in front of my door,

I dont understand the purpose of leaving an offline player in the world in the first place?  What's the purpose?  It doesn't seem like it would add anything of value to the game play.

@onedown...    its someone's idea  of a joke.   Thats why i build  over reclaimed land,  and my  front door   has  ocean under it ...if i get a body  blocking my doorway, if after 2 days at the most  they do not  respond, i  deconstruct the  floor  panel under them and let them drop. .. then replace the panel:D

Only had to do it once,,,,   but let the  server admin know  first.......

40 minutes ago, kimbuck said:

@onedown...    its someone's idea  of a joke.   Thats why i build  over reclaimed land,  and my  front door   has  ocean under it ...if i get a body  blocking my doorway, if after 2 days at the most  they do not  respond, i  deconstruct the  floor  panel under them and let them drop. .. then replace the panel:D

Only had to do it once,,,,   but let the  server admin know  first.......

I think you misunderstood the point i was trying to make.  I wasn't wondering why they logged off in front of your door I was wondering why the game Devs decided to keep players inanimate avatars in the game when they log off.  This is the first time in any game that I have heard of where this occurs.  So just to clarify my question is: Why did the Devs decide to leave inanimate logged out avatars in the world?  What is the point of that mechanic and in what way does it enhance gameplay.  I'm just trying to see if i am overlooking some aspect of the game where there is value in this mechanic.

5 minutes ago, Onedown said:

I think you misunderstood the point i was trying to make.  I wasn't wondering why they logged off in front of your door I was wondering why the game Devs decided to keep players inanimate avatars in the game when they log off.  This is the first time in any game that I have heard of where this occurs.  So just to clarify my question is: Why did the Devs decide to leave inanimate logged out avatars in the world?  What is the point of that mechanic and in what way does it enhance gameplay.  I'm just trying to see if i am overlooking some aspect of the game where there is value in this mechanic.

Only thing I can think of is that they wanted to add additional risk to logging out in an exposed area.  You may be attacked by the animals or other players if you don't log out within a protected structure.

On 31/03/2018 at 11:36 PM, kimbuck said:

When you land at the spawn island there's signs all around  listing the  rules etc, and  stating its a pve  game and  co operation is  encouraged. No griefing  stealing  etc

Guess what ...area is  littered with corpses of  new arrivals  who   when offline  were slaughtered and looted by griefers.

And then  other regulars  come back online and  find  places looted where possible   and things destroyed... 

Well before i go  offline at night i screenshot  whose on line ..for the server admin to compare with saves and  take action if necessary.

Today  one player saw  someone  running from his place...yes they had looted his    house   he was chased  and he   boarded a raft and    tried to escape . the  pursuer found  some of the masts of  his  ship .had been destroyed

The  thief/griefer  when corned  climbed onto the ship running around trying to destroy items on the ship...   but the   server admin stepped in and nuked him.

Well what did this idiot  achieve?  firstly  a  BI account ban from this server  .and also his details and mates/assistants   details  passed to other  server  admins to add to the banning. Soon he will only be able to polay on those  open  servers where  he will meet th same  fate.

Will all these warnings   and banning  stop these  idiots ...  Short answer   no.!!    There's no  cure for  stupidity..

:P

I'm sorry to hear about your experience, this is never a nice position to be in, for your self or your players.

Sadly, there is a large culture of players worldwide, whom will not take any notice of verbal / written rules, and often, will not even respect physical limitations (finding ways to abuse or break a protection for example).

As far as I'm aware, Ylands does not currently have any substantial methods to address this (in an automated way let's say), thus - the only potential to counter this that I could currently perceive to work, would be to lock the server with a password (changed semi-frequently), and a server recruitment thread on the website, where you can clearly write out your rules and expectations for players, some examples of your awesome community and why they should want to join your restricted access server (being exclusive brings with it far less risk for your players to be griefed, thus that in itself is a perk for your server). To this regard, I would say that you don't post the passwords on the thread itself, rather have people wishing to join your server, apply in a direct message to you, and get the passwords sent out to them the same way - this is akin to a vetting process for a block of houses, likewise communal living applies and the interests of the whole are taken in to account for new additions to the community.

Moreover, often these people will simply venture over to unlocked servers, the easiest pickings etc, and would not bother engaging with a vetting process, simply to troll. Not really worth the effort when they can find an easier target.

While this is clearly not ideal by any means - it should work okay for you, for now.

To the admins / developers - could we perhaps add a section on the forums, specifically designed for this purpose? For server advertising / recruitment / vetting etc?

I'm sure that will help a little for server owners at this stage, until something more concrete can be established to this regard.

Edited by John - NEXFER

Baz Foobar runs a very  strict  server..and  we who co-exist on it  are  happy and grateful. But  even the Easter  bunny and   barbie can look  innocent -  yet carry  weapons!:D Theres talk of putting a password on the server, but i understand Baz  was reluctant to do so as he wanted to welcome all  who choose to visit...   but   its  obvious   a lot   don't appreciate  hospitality.

Griefing  is just an extension of   bullying   you see on Facebook and other social media.. there are some  who are no-hopers,  immature imbeciles, un-creative  misfits  who are unable to  act in a  socially  responsible way,  so they resort to attacking   anyone who they perceive  as better than them in looks,  education, personality etc.  The tall poppy  syndrome..   if you cannot  rise to great heights ,  cut  down  everyone  else so you appear to be the tallest...O.o

If everyone  acted  responsible in the world , we would not   need  police forces...O.o

• Like 1

The reason behind leaving the avatars in the world even when players log off (actually Ylands isn't really the only game that does that) is that we want the players to consider where they log out of the game - to make sure their character is sage. It makes building (and using) houses and safe places in general much more important. This is one of the things (and the "realism" settings in general) we would like let players set when we give more control over newly created games.

As for people being just mean and doing awful stuff in the world - while we're trying to address some things with every update, with game this open it's not really possible to predict everything. As soon as we get rid of some of the major issues we're still having in the game, we plan to focus much more on preventing people from doing all kinds of wrong things (but as I said - in a sandbox game people will always find a way of, at least,  annoying each other :) )

Letting the avatars persist in the world makes a lot of sense with a game like this, and I kind of like it.  It allows for a little harmless fun (I found one person on the shore of the starting island, and planted a bunch of carrots around them last night.... for no reason) and even allows you to know the other players a little better just by seeing them and their name.  One change I would make is this:  Allow the environment to harm us, which makes sense in the game, but don't allow other players to directly harm us while we are offline.  Maybe even have other limits, such as having a small "protective barrier" around the spawn point that applies to everyone, including not allowing them to build over it.

One thing that needs to be fixed, though, is the dead bodies that remain.  I returned to my original base last night to move some supplies to my new home, and found 4 or 5 of them scattered around the beach near my outside workstations.  They are not disappearing, and apparently my attempt to be nice to other players (leaving stations and basic supplies outside my old base) has become a griefer camp.

True - the dead bodies found left and right all over the ylands is something we're already looking into.

6 minutes ago, Aleš Ulm said:

True - the dead bodies found left and right all over the ylands is something we're already looking into.

I've been moving corpses to a graveyard close to spawn just to keep the landscape clean and to give the players a chance to come back in without losing their barrier/map/keys if they choose to do so within a set number of days.  If they don't come back after that, I delete them.  If this process could somehow be automated or at least triggered in-game instead of in-editor, that would be a decent compromise.

It would be nice to have an option to get rid of dead bodies with the barrier. 

On 1-4-2018 at 12:26 AM, kimbuck said:

oh  dear  aparently   at spawn place  some  a...hat has   run around   stripped all the flint  stones and grass of the island  so   starters   are stuck there... despite the  server admin   replacing  stuff last night.

really,    what a  twerp!   

I see this more as a problem in the current game really, as on any public survival multiplayer game, within a fairly short amount all base resources run out on the spawn island. To be fair I think it's not too bad as you can still build a raft to get to another island, but even then after a while those islands will start to suffer. Especially animal hides, and cotton/flax are needed a lot and fairly limited. If the plants (and occasionally stones and pieces of flint) would randomly respawn at a very slow rate, players would be able to turn them into seeds and make farms. It's not too OP, and if you need large amounts you either have to farm or mine the resources anyway.

Does make more work for server admins. Currently we have to manually edit in resources that get striped away. I've encountered griefers that'll try to destroy an entire crop so other players can't get it on an island. 

If we had more tools to work with there'd be other options. I know the devs are aware of clever use of logics by server admins to reduce griefing and automatic respawning of resources and animals. In a single hotfix, the devs took that from us for exploration servers. 

I think it would be sensible to have some built-in logic for MP servers where the main spawn island at least could reset itself over time, respawning the resources without needing manual intervention for it.  Such as small shallow patches of iron, clay, or coal refilling to level within a couple "days" and larger veins refilling a little at a time more slowly from the bottom up.  Plants can be farmed if a few respawn over time.  Animals can respawn slowly, since they're not absolutely critical for success in the game.

On 04/04/2018 at 4:20 PM, WijkagentAdrie said:

I see this more as a problem in the current game really, as on any public survival multiplayer game, within a fairly short amount all base resources run out on the spawn island. To be fair I think it's not too bad as you can still build a raft to get to another island, but even then after a while those islands will start to suffer. Especially animal hides, and cotton/flax are needed a lot and fairly limited. If the plants (and occasionally stones and pieces of flint) would randomly respawn at a very slow rate, players would be able to turn them into seeds and make farms. It's not too OP, and if you need large amounts you either have to farm or mine the resources anyway.

While terrain resources such as ores may be substantially more difficult to "re-spawn" (you dig a cave and it gets filled in, build a house and a new mountain appears inside it for example) - I see no reason as to not follow suit with the mainstream on this - with the majority of resources being node based - where basically they would re-spawn where they were destroyed / picked up / spawned originally - or more complicatedly scripted to spawn at random locations.

Some other titles I've played basically have a set X amount of nodes per type, that can be spawned on any given biome, or per island for example. A timer then runs to check periodically if this number has decreased passed the "too low resources" threshold. If it has, it re-spawns the nodes till it reaches its "optimal resources" threshold, then stops spawning them. Fairly straight forward to implement I would wager.

Edited by John - NEXFER

I think ores generating deeper would be the cure to all and mean that i could play the way i usually do, by building the mines of moria lol

• Upvote 1