Sign in to follow this  
Magnarhd

Max number of islands.

Is there a definite answer on the max number of Islands that can be generated in explore?

I've seen answers from the devs suggesting 8-15 on reddit and 8-12 on here.

1 minute ago, Magnarhd said:

Is there a definite answer on the max number of Islands that can be generated in explore?

I've seen answers from the devs suggesting 8-15 on reddit and 8-12 on here.

I've read 15 but I've never seen more than 12.

When I was testing my “digging caves stage reveals number of islands” theory, I must have generated about thirty worlds... and never saw more than twelve!

18 hours ago, Baz Foobar said:

I've read 15 but I've never seen more than 12.

I'm in the same boat, never saw more than 12.

This is not particularly scientific, but I believe you could use a feature in the Editor to generate a list of the number of ylands generated each time you make a new world and repeat the experiment (if you have patience).

The feature in the Editor may have been there for some time (I just had not noticed before) and will show a list of ylands with their biome type/biotope, and coords (I think they represent the coordinates/location). Intent seems to be allowing player in Editor to go-to/transport to another yland and I saw many ylands that I had never yet explored in a brand new world.

Steps would be. Create new world (character, name world, etc.) and 'play' - exit to main menu - go into editor - see # islands/ (and biotopes if desired).

---->repeat a number of times until you're satisfied you have a statistically valid representation of the ylands generation.

(in the Editor, specifically "Go To" will show the list of Ylands.)e.g.

YLAND1 Temperate Climate Area [0, 0]

YLAND2 Tropical Rainforest Area [-1383, 451]

YLAND12 Tropical Rainfores Area [-5454, 2320]

7 minutes ago, stlnegril9 said:

This is not particularly scientific, but I believe you could use a feature in the Editor to generate a list of the number of ylands generated each time you make a new world and repeat the experiment (if you have patience).

The feature in the Editor may have been there for some time (I just had not noticed before) and will show a list of ylands with their biome type/biotope, and coords (I think they represent the coordinates/location). Intent seems to be allowing player in Editor to go-to/transport to another yland and I saw many ylands that I had never yet explored in a brand new world.

Steps would be. Create new world (character, name world, etc.) and 'play' - exit to main menu - go into editor - see # islands/ (and biotopes if desired).

---->repeat a number of times until you're satisfied you have a statistically valid representation of the ylands generation.

(in the Editor, specifically "Go To" will show the list of Ylands.)e.g.

YLAND1 Temperate Climate Area [0, 0]

YLAND2 Tropical Rainforest Area [-1383, 451]

YLAND12 Tropical Rainfores Area [-5454, 2320]

To confirm, this is exactly the method I've employed to determine that 12 is the effective cap.  I have never seen more than 12 islands in that list.

I never saw world with more than 8 Islands. I guess size of the world depends on your computer memory.