Sign in to follow this  
Stephenw1992

[Suggestion] Editor tools that would help considerably!

Question

Hey guys!

So... i've just passed 900 hours gameplay and i'm long overdue making this but figured i'd best start before the game reaches 1.0 :')

So i'm really tired rn and i'll come back and add the things i can't remember rn when I've slept but heres the start:

-"Entity perform action". I think it would be pretty nice to make an entity perform actions such as emotes, making an npc sit/lie down on the floor or chair. while it doesn't seem like much, it would help creators to add more depth in the storytelling or even just the general feel of a scenario.

-"Set entity path". I think this would prove useful for various things. from making object move smoother to npcs being able to walk a set path (which can be triggered in logics in the same way as you can execute action sequencer).
Being able to move objects using a preset path and speed that creators can alter would undoubtedly have a positive impact on servers and scenarios since instead of having to use (and calculate) "move entity instantly" by 0.01 thousands of times to gain a smooth movement

-Grouped objects should perform as a welded group. eg if you have 10 objects in a group and you want to move all objects relative to each other it can take a bit of time to make sure everything is working properly since you have to work with each object. The grouped items should be selectable as 1 object 

-Avatars should act as they do on ships when on moving objects. eg if a panel is moving under them, they should stick to it in the same way as they (sometimes) stick to moving ships. Moving with the object rather than the object moving under them.

-other enemies to work with would expand the amount of scenarios that can be created. I'd love to set up a zombie survival without using mummies or have a player abducted by aliens

-I think this has been mentioned in a dev diary or... somewhere... but maybe more crop types, more food and drink recipes with bonuses for rarer recipes and the ability to farm livestock and it not being possible to plant thousands of crops and trees on one spot

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

13 replies to this bug / suggestion

I love your work Stephenw1992! I wish I could accomplish as much in such a short time.

1035.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, SyxtySyx said:

I love your work Stephenw1992! I wish I could accomplish as much in such a short time.

1035.jpg

hahahah thank you!
And nice! a friend of mine has spent about the same length of time as you (maybe a little less) playing. She wouldn't know where to start if i asked to her to build something with logics but you give her a creator cube in game and she'll go ahead and build the most impressive homes i've seen so far

Thanks for the input! I'll pass the info to our "Editor guy" :)

• Like 1

When using a logic to "clone entity" or duplicating an object in editor, it would be nice if assigned labels were also assigned to the new entity.
Eg, right now i'm using clone entity to clone a car. The car has a lever with an assigned label.
The label isn't assigned on the clone which stops logics that should work with the lever from working

The ability to generate and save terrain.
Being able to use some kind of heat map to choose where islands generate, what biome they are (being able to mix biomes), be able to use the heatmap to affect the surface (such as the elevation, whether its rock/mountainous or hillside) I would love!
being able to spend time completely customising the size of the map, the shape, elevation, resources etc.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Stephenw1992 said:

The ability to generate and save terrain.
Being able to use some kind of heat map to choose where islands generate, what biome they are (being able to mix biomes), be able to use the heatmap to affect the surface (such as the elevation, whether its rock/mountainous or hillside) I would love!
being able to spend time completely customising the size of the map, the shape, elevation, resources etc.

Would love to be have all of this and the ability to copy/paste terrain.

Also, large-scale terraformer functionality that would allow us to find a spot out at sea, and raise the terrain to create a new island above water, or to quickly terraform mountains out of the existing terrain, or dig out rivers/lakes without all the weirdness of water's behavior today.  Extra points if we can add a water source and have it flow down (waterfalls anyone?)

• Upvote 2

something that would also save us a lot of time, is to be able to add to a list, a set of objects at once, maybe an option to "add the selected objects." or even be able to add groups

select an object in the list and only show that link line. since if you delete the object before deleting it from the list it will be corrupted and prevents playing

add the option to pick up a set of objects

In the smooth option of the terraformer, you should fill in the terrain instead of creating a shell.

The roof of the game and the editor could be higher. (It's easy to collide now that we have flying machines)

A quick access bar of inventory, as a color palette, to be able to put the objects that we use the most and not have to be constantly searching the list.

This I think I already comment it once but please put the option to create folders in the list of compositions, it starts to be complicated to find things xD

Edited by spyler.1989
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, spyler.1989 said:

In the smooth option of the terraformer, you should fill in the terrain instead of creating a shell.

This I think is more of a bug than anything. The terrain seems to bug out and, like affecting the sea bed, creates small air pockets. it seems like that is what causes the shell to form since you can undo and pretty much fix it by adding/removing at the spot that the shell generates.

On 4/7/2018 at 11:14 AM, Stephenw1992 said:

...and it not being possible to plant thousands of crops and trees on one spot

I would want to see a better way to gauge exactly where we're planting before we get that.  As it is now, you can't really tell where the plant's going to go until you press the button.  If that exploit is patched, we would need a way to make efficient use of our garden space, and that means being able to see and control exactly where we're putting the seeds.

1 hour ago, Indomitus said:

I would want to see a better way to gauge exactly where we're planting before we get that.  As it is now, you can't really tell where the plant's going to go until you press the button.  If that exploit is patched, we would need a way to make efficient use of our garden space, and that means being able to see and control exactly where we're putting the seeds.

This. Planting nicely is difficult / imposssible. The cursor in general is basically useless as is.

• Downvote 1

15 hours ago, bojo2736 said:

This. Planting nicely is difficult / imposssible. The cursor in general is basically useless as is.

Planting on the build grid would be nice.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Indomitus said:

as far as I can remember the cursor has nothing to do with where the seed gets planted.  If I remember right they get planted the same distance away from your avatar each time and in the direction your avatar is facing. Ive used autohotkey to write a script that would loop the planting in a straight line that would work great if not for the lag spikes.  Im not sure if it can be automated in the editor like i've seen with building blocks but if it can be maybe in the future you can make garden blueprints.

The cursor only seems to loosely indicate where your avatar is  looking. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1