Sign in to follow this  
Weezle

Minor Complaint: Taiga shorelines landlocked by 'sandbars'

I really love how the taiga/tundra islands look when they get those craggy shorelines and big bays with smaller "extra" islands.  The problem I always seem to come across is that you get these wonderful deep water bays but as you get closer to the open ocean, the seafloor always rises and there are very shallow walls formed around the entirety of the island.  With enough engines, you can power your way over them but there's the ever lurking danger of getting stuck.  You can try to dig them out but then you have to worry about "breaking" the ocean.  I'd love to see a taiga/tundra with clear paths from those gorgeous coastlines to the open ocean someday.  I suppose the only other request is to see the same type of topography in the temperate and jungle biomes (I've seen some desert biomes with cliffs and deep bays).  As always, thanks for a really fun game!

• Upvote 3

I kind of agree since it would be nice to set an outpost up in an area like this but then you also get that feeling of risk with essentially getting stuck on the rocks.
I have to admit though the coast looks stunning around these areas, almost like a reef has popped up.
i think for me though, the water behaving a bit more... kinder would solve this so we could dig the area out.

I also found a temperate biome with the most stunning mountains rising from the ocean. It looked so incredible but i don't have the screenshots anymore :(

• Upvote 1

The answer is water that doesn't break. My current base has so many shallows. I wish I could dig out and have a proper pier.

• Upvote 1

i tried to blast a  bay by placing kegs on small rafts  floating in the shallows.... it kinda worked but the water went  crazy and the other areas  around it  became  dry land  that  slooshed under you feet, and  where  sharks   could   fly across and attack you!   at least i  helped with a  supply of  fish meat..  :D The resultant  bay  was not a success... the water in the  area  around it  was of a different  height... looked awful and the ships wold  get stuck on pinnacles/ bit of  soil etc  that  were  minuscule  and  almost impossible top see and  find ( even in fp).

Best to look for  natural bay and  build  around it  until they find a way to make  water behave like  water.¬¬

• Upvote 2