Sign in to follow this  
Baz Foobar

Endangered Species Protection

Anyone have any tricks on how to keep mutated beasts around?  With their Ylandium Dust drops, they are always a scarce resource. Sure, we can keep repopulating the caves but I'd rather let things happen naturally as I don't really want to have too much of a hand in manipulating resources in the world beyond replenishing stuff at the starter island for new players.

I tried placing some mutated beasts in the caverns but above the space so that they were in the world standing on the ceilings of the caverns.  This worked temporarily but then they eventually fell through and didn't last long after that.  Yes, I know - shame on the world inhabitants for not keeping their hunting in check, but it's not always feasible to keep track of it, they may need to defend themselves in a situation they can't get out of, and not everyone on a server will necessarily care about the environment.

I might try placing them in some unbreakable structure in various parts of the cave to see if they can spawn new ones outside of the structure, but I don't know if that'll be any different than above.

Yeah, custom logic can do things for this, but this is an existing explore map - can't bring logic in now.

Edited by Baz Foobar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i was about to say you could use logic's to spawn and limit it but then read the last line...

In which case i can't really think of a permanent solution that would help besides the indestructible structure which i think would be your best bet

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Stephenw1992 said:

i was about to say you could use logic's to spawn and limit it but then read the last line...

In which case i can't really think of a permanent solution that would help besides the indestructible structure which i think would be your best bet

Yeah, I've seen your crazy logics and am convinced anything is possible with them ;)

I'll give the indestructible structure a go and see what happens.  In the meantime, as a backup plan, I'll start designing a new map with logics from the get go so that we have a solution in place when it comes time to start over again with a wipe.

1 hour ago, TheSparkPlug said:

I’ve never tried this, but could you mark a few of them as indestructible in the editor?

You are a horrible person. OMG, I die with the regular ones!

1 hour ago, TheSparkPlug said:

I’ve never tried this, but could you mark a few of them as indestructible in the editor?

You could, but that would be evil :)

What they need to add is indestructible spawning objects something like a rock,  nest,  coral,  pen or even a lure or bait with the same properties they use for animals to make them re spawn.  Just plop it down and it would act the same as a single animal only without the animations and moving and stuff.