Aleš Ulm

Sneak Peek #50

Hey there, fellow ylanders!

In the past, I’ve already mentioned that in 0.9 we will be introducing something called “Blueprints”. For those that missed that, let me explain again, this time with some more details.

Blueprints are meant as an easy way of building structures in Explore games. In the first iteration of this feature, you will be able to get blueprints in these ways:

Capture an existing structure

You will be able to create a blueprint of any structure inside your barrier. While this may seem rather restrictive, we know that a lot of players wouldn’t want others to easily copy their creations, and even though there are other possible ways of making sure it doesn’t happen, they all have their pros and cons, and this one came out as the best overall solution.

With 0.9 the default size of the barrier will be made larger (currently we’re testing a volume three times the original size). That should be enough for you to fit most of your structures into it while having the barrier partially extended into the sea, which may come in handy in 0.10, where in addition to static structures, you will be able to create blueprints of ships (and cars). At this moment we are not sure if the already placed barriers will be enlarged (if not blocked) when you update to 0.9 - we will let you know.

Find a blueprint in the world

Some blueprints you will be able to find in the world (mostly in Random Encounters or, in the future, as a part of some rewards).

Purchase a blueprint in our store

It should be noted that the blueprints we will be offering for coyns will be consisting of assets that every player has access to, and so anyone can create those as well - this is meant for those who don’t feel like building something nice themselves or lack the time. That is, once again, what we consider a fair monetization.

Get them from us for free

Every player will have some basic blueprints to start with so that everyone can quickly build a wooden shed and other basic structures.

kimbuck2.jpg
Starting a new life? Not ready to leave your current house behind? May I suggest using blueprints, sir? (Watermelon house courtesy of @kimbuck)

The actual building is quite easy - you select a blueprint and place it in the world. A special workstation appears in front of it that you can fill with ingredients needed to build the structure (anyone can add those even when it’s not their workstation). As you keep adding, you will see parts of the structure become “real”. As long as the building isn’t finished you can cancel it - but the parts already built will stay in the world and you won’t get your ingredients back. Also at least for now only building materials are stored in the blueprint - so no small objects, no paintings etc. which would make the blueprint extremely demanding in terms of required ingredients.

We believe that blueprints will help with several problems - some players find the building process difficult, lack time, patience, or skill. Others are creating nice things that they want to keep when they start a new Explore game (or they may simply want to build the same structure on a different yland).

So that’s it for today - we will talk to you again next Friday. Have a great time until then, ylanders, and stay classy!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 3

:D cool thing! but will we get the possible option to spawn own blueprints into the game? (how ships btw) 

And how about trading blueprints with other players?  Or sell them to NPC for other players to "buy."

Edited to add question:  Will you have a "shopping list" so that I know how many logs I need to get etc?

Edited by bb cakes
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

54 minutes ago, Aleš Ulm said:

Hey there, fellow ylanders!

In the past, I’ve already mentioned that in 0.9 we will be introducing something called “Blueprints”. For those that missed that, let me explain again, this time with some more details.

Blueprints are meant as an easy way of building structures in Explore games. In the first iteration of this feature, you will be able to get blueprints in these ways:

Capture an existing structure

You will be able to create a blueprint of any structure inside your barrier. While this may seem rather restrictive, we know that a lot of players wouldn’t want others to easily copy their creations, and even though there are other possible ways of making sure it doesn’t happen, they all have their pros and cons, and this one came out as the best overall solution.

With 0.9 the default size of the barrier will be made larger (currently we’re testing a volume three times the original size). That should be enough for you to fit most of your structures into it while having the barrier partially extended into the sea, which may come in handy in 0.10, where in addition to static structures, you will be able to create blueprints of ships (and cars). At this moment we are not sure if the already placed barriers will be enlarged (if not blocked) when you update to 0.9 - we will let you know.

Some blueprints you will be able to find in the world (mostly in Random Encounters or, in the future, as a part of some rewards).

It should be noted that the blueprints we will be offering for coyns will be consisting of assets that every player has access to, and so anyone can create those as well - this is meant for those who don’t feel like building something nice themselves or lack the time. That is, once again, what we consider a fair monetization.

Every player will have some basic blueprints to start with so that everyone can quickly build a wooden shed and other basic structures.

kimbuck2.jpg
Starting a new life? Not ready to leave your current house behind? May I suggest using blueprints, sir? (Watermelon house courtesy of @kimbuck)

The actual building is quite easy - you select a blueprint and place it in the world. A special workstation appears in front of it that you can fill with ingredients needed to build the structure (anyone can add those even when it’s not their workstation). As you keep adding, you will see parts of the structure become “real”. As long as the building isn’t finished you can cancel it - but the parts already built will stay in the world and you won’t get your ingredients back. Also at least for now only building materials are stored in the blueprint - so no small objects, no paintings etc. which would make the blueprint extremely demanding in terms of required ingredients.

We believe that blueprints will help with several problems - some players find the building process difficult, lack time, patience, or skill. Others are creating nice things that they want to keep when they start a new Explore game (or they may simply want to build the same structure on a different yland).

So that’s it for today - we will talk to you again next Friday. Have a great time until then, ylanders, and stay classy!

I could see this having a potential to expand the coyns store, with entire load-able compositions! I fancy a brand new house, save me some time!

And so begins the debate on whether or not an awesome house, or a battleship - is "cosmetic" haha!

I guess it's the principal of a chair, scaled up - however, perhaps it would be relevant how much resources these require to build them.

A cosmetic change would surely not provide an advantage to one player, over another, however, a non-cosmetic change - such as being able to build a house quicker / less resources (shelter, safety, storage), or a boat with some cannons for example (pvp) - could perhaps be a slight game-changer?

Another thought, some careful review should be the case, prior to any compositions ending up in the coyns store (if that's the plan), as it would be a case where some people would create hidden goodies within their compositions, such as a chest packed full of Ylandium, buried treasure or any other creative way they could muster.

Edited by John - NEXFER
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, John - NEXFER said:

Did you really need to include the entire original post in your short reply?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I see you're asking questions already, great! :) Please ask anything you want to know - even though some things haven't been completely finalized, I'll do my best to answer everything I can (but I'll probably do it first thing Monday morning as I may not be able to get here during the weekend ).

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TheSparkPlug said:

Did you really need to include the entire original post in your short reply?

Nope.

My short reply, has several points brought up from several parts of the OP.

Your 1 line reply is a silly question - why would they get rid of a system within the editor, so functionally important as compositions?

Did you really need to ask that question / make your post?

Nope.

Did you really need to make an entire post, about the format of my post? 

Nope.

Did I really need to reply to you?

Nope.

Do I need to reply to you in the future if you reply with more of that kind of thing?

Nope.

I see you're asking questions already, great! :) Please ask anything you want to know - even though some things haven't been completely finalized, I'll do my best to answer everything I can (but I'll probably do it first thing Monday morning as I may not be able to get here during the weekend ).

Thanks Aleš, yeah no rush have a good weekend!

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 4

We’ll see how “silly” my question turns out to be... had you made it to the end of my question you will have noticed the “in explore games” bit ;)

Edited by TheSparkPlug
  • Downvote 3

15 minutes ago, TheSparkPlug said:

We’ll see how “silly” my question turns out to be... had you made it to the end of my question you will have noticed the “in explore games” bit ;)

I did notice, it changes not - why would they at all? Paranoia.

Further hypocrisy - first you do what you say I'm doing (did you really need to), now you claim I couldn't read one line?

I addressed the point in your post, you have not addressed any of mine.

Who's having reading issues here?

If my post is "short" - what does that make all of yours?

"the explore mode bit" - I presume you mean, that you think they will take it away from the editor, so that they can make it store only.

Well, why exactly do you believe that to be the case?

Edited by John - NEXFER
  • Downvote 5

..With 0.9 the default size of the barrier will be made larger (currently we’re testing a volume three times the original size)....

Thanks god for this !

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, John - NEXFER said:

Well, why exactly do you believe that to be the case?

Paranoia?

Nope

• Like 1

..With 0.9 the default size of the barrier will be made larger (currently we’re testing a volume three times the original size)....

and would not an upgradeable barrier be better?
for example, to expand it by applying batteries of yladium and to be able to expand it in the direction that we want so we could protect our area, that maybe we do not want it to be a cube

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

35 minutes ago, spyler.1989 said:

and would not an upgradeable barrier be better?
for example, to expand it by applying batteries of yladium and to be able to expand it in the direction that we want so we could protect our area, that maybe we do not want it to be a cube

Interesting idea.  There would have to be limits to the size, or we would end up with a whole new kind of griefer (plus the added processing strain of covering large, unusual shapes).

Interesting idea, blueprints. Really like the idea of expanding the barrier size (really, more so, allowing blueprints of ships/cars).

On this part:

" A special workstation appears in front of it that you can fill with ingredients needed to build the structure (anyone can add those even when it’s not their workstation) ",

I suppose my slave labor could be in demand soon. If I ever get back to MP.

Edited by stlnegril9
spell

That's an interesting thought. It could open up new trading opportunities. I will get you 100 logs for a ylandium dust.

• Downvote 2

Sounds cool - I hope we'll be able to compose these blueprints and reintroduce them into other maps.  I have several regular players on the DS I host that would love to bring over their creations whenever we wipe the map.  Compositions of large structures don't always work (you end up missing portions of it) but perhaps this would work better, and it would still require them to work for it by collecting more resources to build it again.

Also, I asked this on the DS feedback forum but it didn't get any traction: Any update on when we might see the 8-player limit cap raised? Last bit of communication I was able to find on this topic mentioned "early 2018" as when this would be explored. Any movement in that area? Any thoughts on what kind of resource utilization we're looking at per user in terms of CPU, RAM, and Bandwidth on the server?

• Upvote 1

A couple questions:

Can the construction be cancelled by anyone?  Or only by the person who initiated it?

I expect there would be limitations on placing them as well?  If Baz, for example (who just happens to be the post right above me here) has started a large house blueprint that takes up 50x100 grid squares, I wouldn't be able to start a different one overlapping that same space, right?

(Just thinking forward to the griefers.  You know somebody will try it.)

4 hours ago, Aleš Ulm said:

Hemmh interesting functions.. ^_^ Alright here is my questions about each of them above:

• First of all, will blueprint contain composition made by players(from workshop)? If the answer is no, then forget the rest.  If yes then,
  • What kind of blueprint that will scattered around the world? 
  • What make you consider which blueprint deserve to be monetized? "Basic structure" is a bit ambiguous, person A(noob) can say it's pretty complex but person B(pro) consider it really basic or simple structure.
  • The last, can blueprint contain game logics?

@TheSparkPlug I understand that it kinda annoying. xD 
Did you know that you can  minimize someone's looong quote by clicking that top left circle button of the quote? 123123.PNG.97b5c3a1ce47fef57c902f756447750f.PNG

Here is the flaw of this forum, by default the page will open all quotes and it's kinda annoying that you need to scroll far enough if you don't know that button. The reason why @John - NEXFER did that is might be because he use phone(which is painful to quote certain texts) or too lazy to bold/block certain texts and then use this quote buttons 1231242.PNG.5b532a28acaa67f7904920620a86914c.PNG. Or.. else..

For now, if you guys use PC or can easily bold/block certain texts to quote, would be wise to just do that..
Well atleast I told you how to get rid that annoying "whole quote" thingy. xD

• Thanks 1

For the watermelon house..

a)   find a  watermelon  in the game..

b) craft a knife

c) put any seeds in a seed box

d) craft a  spare  clean shirt as the one  you wear will get covered in messy watermelon juice.

e)  build a fence around the  finished  building to  keep grazing goats out! ..and griefers   (  goats are the intelligent ones...)

O.o

:D

• Haha 1

Alright, so here are answers (it's quite a lot of questions, sorry if I overlook any) in no particular order :) 

* anyone can contribute when build a BP, only the author can cancel it

* you can't build  where there's already BP being built, but there will be several limitations to make sure no one claims a huge area (or lot of smaller ones) and block other players from using them space

* the idea of BP is exactly (well, with other things) to makes sure you can rather easily build a "copy" if you move to a different yland, if your game is wiped and you're starting a new one etc.

* with every BP you're building you will see exactly what you need to get and moving it from the inventory to the workstation is super quick and intuitive (one way is simply clicking RMB over whatever you want to use for building and you see the required ingredients amount lower while at the same time the building is gradually appearing based on what you've put in it so far - it looks pretty cool, if you ask me :)

* upgradable barriers - actually this is something that we've already planned, improved/larger barriers that will require energy, but since the current one needs a lot of love as it is (cooperative building etc.) it didn't felt right to promise things that are even farther in the future

* trading blueprints among players is not planned at this moment because of several reasons. The most important is that we really want to have total control over this until we know the system works as it should and isn't exploited in some way - we don't want some BPs to spread uncontrollably, before we have some relevant feedback (even we will be releasing BP into the game rather slowly).

* editing Explore games in the Editor won't be possible anymore when the game comes out of the Early Access (it wouldn't make much sense then - there will be two worlds already with some "story-like" progression, a boss fight etc. - whoever will want to get far, will have to really earn it ;) ) 

* Compositions can't be part of BP since BP can contain (at least now) only building materials.

• Thanks 2

Actually one thing I saw someone ask on Steam forums - you don't have to start a new game or anything. As long as your creation is inside your barrier you will be able to capture it into a blueprint not matter whether you've built pre-0.9 or not.