Question

Hi

I am getting worse and worse lag on my game.  trying to move around is like trying to walk on ice,  i am lagging, skittering, over-running.  it's just really difficult to play.  in fact it's putting me off playing at all.  i am not sure what is wrong, not being a teccie sort of person. How can i tell if it's Ylands, my internet, my ping, kaspersky.  I don't know where to start.  I am disabled atm and bedridden, it's hard to do keyboard and investigative work, even if i knew where to start.  I am baffled as to why the game started off playing fine and is now becoming unplayable.  upsetting because i love the game

2 replies to this bug / suggestion

Is this for Singer Player, Player-hosted Multiplayer, or Dedicated Server Multiplayer?

If it's Single Player, I would check to see if any other applications are running that are competing for CPU and Memory resources. If it's Multiplayer, I'd try another host or server to see if it happens there as well.  If it happens for any of them, then it sounds like it could be an Internet problem - either something else is eating up your Internet bandwidth or there's a problem in between you and the host.  If it only happens to a specific host, then the problem is on their side.

If the problem is happening for any mode, and your CPU and Memory resources are fine, I'd check to see if anything is overheating (CPU or GPU).  Modern day processors throttle themselves if they start to overheat so as to prevent catastrophic failure.  This overheating can be caused by a build up of dust on heat syncs and fans/vents, mechanical failure where fans no longer spin, insufficient coolant for liquid-cooled systems, etc.

TL;DR: it could be a lot of factors, we'll need more details to troubleshoot, but the above should be a good start.

• Upvote 1

To add to what Baz wrote, try [temporarily] starting a new single player world and run round for a few minutes to see how that performs. The more you build/explore in a world the laggier that world becomes.

Also, you mention you are bedridden. Does that mean you are playing on a laptop, and if so, is the laptop on some kind of table or board. If it is not, then it almost certainly doesn’t have adequate ventilation and is overheating.

• Upvote 1