Sign in to follow this  
kimbuck

MP servers gradually deteriorating and become unplayable after a few days.

Question

I have   had to move   across  4  public servers now,  because after a few days  performance  deteriorates to make the game i am  in unplayable.

the  first 2  public  servers were on the  horrific  0.7  version    ..say no more...

The last  2     are  PA   7    and  now  NA 10 .. they started  off ok    and although  PA  7 was a griefers  paradise,  it was ok for  3  days  then it gradually  got more time out   errors  and   excessive lag ... so   sailing was near impossible... and  then  it became a lag  fest...

Other players   ..even the griefers   abandoned it!

Now  i have been on NA  10     and for the first 4  days its been stable  and    trouble  free... even sailing  worked! (  halley   looo  yah! ):D but the last 2  days  saw  lag   and then  the   occasional time out.

Today its  time out  after time out, and not  being able to log  in,  " session  unavailable"  messages, and when i do manage to get in  after   3  minutes   the   animations  freeze....and   nothing   can be equipped... and a  check  shows   0  persons on line.  Only   way  out is to use task manager.  Another player  logged in to find  he  froze to death ... in a PB  protected  building on a  tropical  island!!!:o ..and despite many efforts   cannot get back or  create a new avatar. hes  not  in yet  shows as online   when ever i  do manage to get in.

So what now  ?

well i managed to get back in and lock  up  my residence ..and    yup ...2  minutes later   everything  froze up ...  and   " server  unavailable "    .."unable to connect "...    in for  3 minutes the  everything  freezes up ....got bored  watching the  blue  screen while  waiting  for  task manager to free up my computer...

so  what do i do now ... move to another  server,  start again and   repeat  after  5  days?

I don't have  logs  simply  because its obviously  a  server issue,   not my  system,  and  when you get others on discord having  exactly the  same issue ...   well  maybe the    guys  at  tencent   can  offer a  fix?

ok  - seeing  where my friends  have  gone  and  will try again on the  server they find...     until it  breaks.

:S

• Upvote 1

13 replies to this bug / suggestion

I'll just say this, Official servers are the worst kind of servers... don't know why they have so many, when yet privately run public server usually get some sort of care, that is if the owner bothers to check it.

with 0.9 it's not gonna matter anymore.. due to the " cloud" system they are putting in, like whats the point of servers then?

I'll also mention its been about a month now since 0.8 release... seems like they are going back to their "slow" release cycles again.

Edited by Energritz_

Sounds like the same thing I was experiencing in single player before I uninstalled.  They have much work to do and I don't think it looks like an optimization problem.  It seems to me like some kind of bug is causing an exponential effect that is causing all that lag.

Kimbuck and I will likely break this new server (NA 36?) within a day or two. Really makes it hard to want to put in time and effort only to have to abandon it.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Energritz_ said:

I'll just say this, Official servers are the worst kind of servers...

Agreed, but this gives Bohemia direct access to the problems that their testers have been trying to reproduce based on my server's logs and saves for some time now, so there's a good reason to use official servers versus player-maintained dedicated ones.

• Upvote 2

Hey guys, the server length does still seem to be an issue. Stoutcrusher latest season has lasted a lot longer than previous (if we make it to this weekend it'll be 2 weeks)... with one major new rule.... no ships. Small boats and propeller packs are our only form of transport. I'm not sure it'll help everyone... but it seems to be working for us.

• Upvote 1

That may help in the short term. Ships and travel ar integral parts of the game. They need to be fixed, not worked around.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I agree, some servers have pretty specific rules (don't use electricity, don't make ships, etc etc), but it kind of defeats the purpose of playing for now. @Aleš Ulm Could we maybe for the next sneak peak/dev log have some more updates on things that will create a smooth MP experience, such as overall game performance (I'd like to hear things from a technical perspective as well, it's always fun to learn new things) as well as new admin tools/features, and problems regarding ore/resources spawning to keep a stable, healthy server. I really think that with a smooth MP experience the amount of hours put into the game will greatly increase, leading to more testing and thus to a better game :) 

Adrie

What i am seeing is you join a server and there's  often more than 3 players on line  -   as the  days  progress there's  lag,  time outs  and more corpses around  spawn ... many   abandoned  bases,   half completed structures  and  nobody around... they  apparently  have given up! 

After a while you appear to be playing a  solo player game  with the  MP  bugs......  and despite being the only one on line...it gets so unplayable  you decide to  follow the herd out the door.O.o

Look for another  server.....     if it looks  fresh and  no piled up corpses  at spawn .... give it a go  until it too bogs  down.!

At least  you get  experience in designing buildings .......    but the  thing is,  you  will soon get tired of   if   and it looks like   quite a few have already,  and  moved on  .. to other games...o.O

So  many  servers ....so few players on line:|

Edited by kimbuck

Well we we're supposed to get some response, In the dedicated server forums under "Dedicated server user feedback" thread.

But that was 2 months ago, they did the video Q & A for sp..

Edited by Energritz_
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the feedback, guys! There will be a Dev Diary where I'll talk about the servers and our plans - not the one coming out tomorrow, but the one next Friday. I'm sorry about the delay - I thought we would talk (and, actually, do something) about it way sooner but there was always something more important to take care of / focus on. Thanks for your patience.

More important than the playability and sustainabilty of the servers?? I can't wait to read the diary.

Perhaps there should be  a population limit  on animals  etc .....  i was on one island and  saw  about 15  horses   all standing  together,  not moving. And after  a day offline can came back and discovered 4 boars stuck  in a mining  hole .. there were  boars and  horses everywhere so some  crossbow practice was employed and  reduced the  numbers and  lag noticeably decreased,  but what do you do with 25 boar hides?  I also found 12 seagulls   underwater at the  ocean shore...  I am sure this   unlimited "breeding" is  adding to the lag/ server load.

Super glitchy now.  Laggy.   Ship travel is almost not possible with the lag.  I have a lot invested here.  I really hate to move until 0.9.  Logs uploaded in another topic.