bojo2736

Calling a Spade a Spade

Question

Dear Devs, 

This has been bugging me for a while, and I need to get it off my chest.

image.jpeg

• Downvote 1

6 replies to this bug / suggestion

I think of a shovel as a flat edged wide tool. Mainly used for moving materials (shovelling) - such as a snow shovel or coal shovel.  Whereas a spade is for digging so often has a pointed end.

So, to me, that picture is the wrong way round.   I guess it’s based on where you are from.

Generally, a shovel has more of a defined "scoop" to it so you can use it to move loose material from one place to another (snow, gravel, sand, etc).  These can be pointed, rectangular, square, you name it - so long as it has the raised sides or scoop to keep the material in it.  A spade has a sharp flat edge normally to assist in breaking ground and digging.

To that end, you may both be correct.

Spade is used mainly for digging and it's always sharp. 

Shovel doesn't have to be sharp because it's mainly for moving material.

The difference isn't in the shape itself. 

Both the in-game models and the picture you added to this post fit these criteria:

The tool on the left doesn't look sharp (rounded tip) => a shovel image.jpeg.c3ebe0b1813014a1a118d1c2befff1e2.jpeg.4c37fd85e0fe45ba126e86388ec997b3.jpeg The tool on the left looks like it has sharp edges => a spade

(I would maybe argue about the shovel depicted actually being a spade. It has even the top made straight so you can help yourself by stepping on it to dig with bigger power.)

69px-Iron_Spade.png.e87ba3cf2588ee255524373091a0b264.pngDefinitely a sharp tool => in-game spade

91px-Iron_Shovel.png.d4a8fbd551fcd190603af33b1e1c46b4.png It doesn't look like something you could cut through solid dirt with => in-game shovel 

Edited by Miguel Preguisa
  • Downvote 1

Seriously?  With all the issues the game has this seems minuscule.

We can be pretty sure that devs already know about the most pressing issues. But do they know about this big problem?  xD Literally unplayable.

• Downvote 1

Hey, the wooden piece used to be called a desk. No harm in getting it out there.

• Downvote 1