Sign in to follow this  
RedEagle_P1.

Making a new exploration map-type.

Hi guys, 

If you had a choice between these, which would you choose: 

CUSTOM: 5 Islands - 1 Biome - Respawning Resources - No Caves - Deep-Water Diving for Crystals - No PVP (discouraged via no-loot drop) - NPC Shops - Indestructible Spawn - No Barriers

or 

STOCK: 8-12 Islands - Many Biomes - Depleting Resources - Caves - PVP Allowed - Protection Barriers

I was thinking about making a custom survival server but I need to know if you guys would prefer it or not.   

Edited by RedEagle_MGN

Hey! 

Thats a tricky question, im not a big fan of all the griefers out there so i guess no pvp Custom 5 islands is my choice.

Having never been able to actually get MP to work, my opinion may not count for much, but from what I've read on this forum (and experience with other games), I'd probably still prefer option 2.

But if you were willing to put in the time, option 1 could be an interesting alternative to play something different (particularly the diving for crystals idea). I will note that discouraging PVP via no loot drop is not the same (IMO) as no PVP. It seems some players (OK ... griefers, morons) would still kill others with no loot drop.

Unfortunately, you can't have the second type with no PVP until Bohemia implements that restriction to be enforced out of the box.

Once you implement the custom roles with no death penalty (to dissuade PVPers (although as stlnegril9 points out, griefers will be griefers), you're forced to go with one biome, no natural caves, and no barriers... 

Red, I applaud you for trying to come up with some interim options, but I think the best path is really to wait until Boehmia implements this from their end.

Edited by Baz Foobar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bojo2736 said:

Second type BUT no PVP.

It's gotta be either or as stock can't force no-pvp. 

1 hour ago, stlnegril9 said:

Having never been able to actually get MP to work, my opinion may not count for much, but from what I've read on this forum (and experience with other games), I'd probably still prefer option 2.

But if you were willing to put in the time, option 1 could be an interesting alternative to play something different (particularly the diving for crystals idea). I will note that discouraging PVP via no loot drop is not the same (IMO) as no PVP. It seems some players (OK ... griefers, morons) would still kill others with no loot drop.

That is true. I wish I could remove it altogether. 

I would chose the second, having no barrier is a deal breaker for me, unless this particular server is the trusted one with password/whitelist, that has screened out the griefers from the stock one, then i would consider it.

i would also  choose   2,  but no pvp  however a barrier is needed for those morons  who lie to  steal and destroy and   damage  and then  squat and  clutter in other peoples  buildings, rather than  look for their brains  and then  switch them on  to create something B|

Perhaps  pvp  could be discouraged  if  when someone  dies, their loot  lies on the ground in a sack that glows faintly  for  them to find, and only they,  owner can pick it up. After   4 days it  "goes". But then that would still not  stop those morons  who  kill not to rob, but who see it as fun.o.O

I have talked with Ane and there are no plans to add the barrier to editor in 0.9 therefore I will be making a stock-standard server instead. 

what we need is somewhere we can post the account  details  of   proven griefers..... for admins   with  pvte  ds to  act  on.

We were pottering  around on a  pvt sever  for  fun until o.9 arrives and it  didn't lake   long for someone  to arrive and killed  some of us and then  griefed the  area we were sheltering in while offline ..they went to a lot of  trouble  too..,   Its password  protected  now.  and we found the culprit and  removed their  digital  presence

#2 - WITH PVP. What coul be more fun than a siege or a SeaFight?

The Problems are depleting Ressources. Perhaps it is possible to make large Ressource Spots in DeepSea or so?!

Best would be an option to have several areas with pvp and others without- but at the current generation of sandbox games this wont happen.

6 hours ago, kimbuck said:

what we need is somewhere we can post the account  details  of   proven griefers..... for admins   with  pvte  ds to  act  on.

We were pottering  around on a  pvt sever  for  fun until o.9 arrives and it  didn't lake   long for someone  to arrive and killed  some of us and then  griefed the  area we were sheltering in while offline ..they went to a lot of  trouble  too..,   Its password  protected  now.  and we found the culprit and  removed their  digital  presence

I think our best bet would be a server with a good, trusted admin list that can keep things protected. They would also have "the cube" and a spawn would be built that explains the rules. 

but  but  but ....are you expecting   infantile  minded griefers    to read!  ???..let alone  understand  or follow rules?:D

On foobars   server there were  such  guidelines  literally in your  face  as soon as you arrived...but did that stop the  griefers/kiddies?  nope!

One of the axioms  of  assembling  something form a  kit... if it  doesn't  go together the first  time ,  then you  read the instructions..o.O

Admins   are needed...  but   24/7?   O.o

Sorry @kimbuck but what makes you better than - so called "griefers/kiddies" spreading all your verbal hatred out - here in the forums? 

I dont think namecalling is the right way. It will end in inquisitional conditions in ylands. I cannot imagine anyone wants this.

The barrier needs to be a protection against PvP, robbery andso on. When they leave it at actual size everyone has enough space to safe his precious things from the bad, big world.

It´s okay to have carebear pve servers as well as pvp and rp servers.  Live and let die ;)

• Downvote 1

55 minutes ago, Apokh said:

Sorry @kimbuck but what makes you better than - so called "griefers/kiddies" spreading all your verbal hatred out - here in the forums? 

I dont think namecalling is the right way. It will end in inquisitional conditions in ylands. I cannot imagine anyone wants this.

The barrier needs to be a protection against PvP, robbery andso on. When they leave it at actual size everyone has enough space to safe his precious things from the bad, big world.

It´s okay to have carebear pve servers as well as pvp and rp servers.  Live and let die ;)

Yes but if the rules say no PVP one should likely avoid PVP... right?

• Upvote 1

@Apokh, I'm guessing you may be misunderstanding Kimbuck's venting of frustration as some type of namecalling attack. I could be wrong, of course, but I read the above as direct result of the recent frustrations with the NA 15 server.

From what I've seen, Kimbuck (and friends) are better than some in that they are trying to foster a friendly, cooperative environment on some servers. And they are asking devs for the tools to do so. Have never seen them try to stop others from doing whatever style of play they want on other servers.

As for imagining " anyone wants this " ... I certainly do. But also agree that if people want a different style of play (slaughter everything, whatever); then give them the tools/freedom to have at it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Apokh said:

Verbal hatred?  Do you need a safe space and a blankie?  Good lord.   Those of us who want creative, co-operative pve servers should be able to have them.  If not on the official servers, we will have our own servers with "inquisitional conditions."  Or passwords. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

But you can actually have own servers with password...so what is the point? 

This here (i thought) is about RedEagle wanting to know, what kind of servers we want- out of 2 options.

It has to be accepted that there are different types of players. Creators as well as destructors...that´s how it has always been. There will probably not be any official servers having admins that take care for you. How should that pay?

The answer are password saved private servers and whitelisting instead of facing disrespecting attitude with disrespecting speech and namecalling on official forums. What for? Even if you know the names...you can´t do anything if this player joins, as long as you wont guard all spawns forever.

In fact, ylands is in early alpha state. Especially in matters of the server thing. At this state it is futile to talk about rulesets you cannot push through. Atm you can setup nearly nothing. I guess that somewehere in the future they will implement more features to give the owners tools to have the server they want. Meanwhile we have to work with what we have....private servers with the only feature to have it turned on or off, give it a custom name and password...end. 

Edited by Apokh
  • Downvote 2

You derailed the discussion by your request for PVP and chastising kimbuck for her choice of words.

• Downvote 1

Alright children, let's all get a long ;)

So who is voting for which of the two server types and why :)