Denderion

Mining Drill question

Hi, i recently just got to the mining drill and guardian armor in my private game and when i use the drill it seems like i get less resources than using the pick, Is this true or is it just in my head? i dont want to waste resources when mining an ore vein if i use the drill. if anyone can answer my question i would be grateful and appreciative

*edit* V-Alfred i know you are gonna respond so hello there :) lol. 

Edited by Denderion
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Denderion said:

*edit* V-Alfred i know you are gonna respond so hello there :) lol. 

goddamnit xD you can read my mind.. I need to stop responding so fast I think.. but I feel guilty when see someone post and no one responded yet.. 

back to OP's topic, I have this kind of question for long time, but still not sure. Mining drill works similar like spade which I think have same result with the pick but much faster.  Lets see other people opinion.. ;) 

I don’t know about quantities, but I avoid using it as the resources it yields don’t seem to stack nicely!

using a pick or spade on a vein will normally create 4-6 piles of ore to collect, whereas any time saved by the drill is lost with all the right-clicking needed to pick everything up.

I do still carry it... it is my “get out of cave free” card :P

• Like 1

You can "paint" ores in the Editor. So, I believe you could paint a particular ore in some world using the Editor, save it, and then try the mining drill on one copy and a pickaxe on the other.

I'm not sure that's a definitive test but seems legit. I may try that later today if I have time.

(note "paint" may not be the actual menu selection, but I know I've done it some months ago, testing the look of the various ores in different areas).

Edited by stlnegril9
clarity

1 hour ago, stlnegril9 said:

You can "paint" ores in the Editor.

Why do you need to paint for testing? Just make 3 block on the ground  full of iron deposit with same size in editor + give your character m.drill, spade, pick axe and propeller pack at player role. Click play and walla you can testing how much each of them yield. :D
*EDIT* Like this one, so you can proof it yourself ^_^298610_20180529023750_1.thumb.png.b8833683f7f1174f4559b1f6e98f8e26.png

That little deposits is square with scale on 2. My result:

M. Drill = 153 ore

Iron pick = 161 ore

Iron spade = 148 ore + 2 gunpowder keg xD

Edited by V-Alfred

1 hour ago, V-Alfred said:

That little deposits is square with scale on 2. My result:

M. Drill = 153 ore

Iron pick = 161 ore

Iron spade = 148 ore + 2 gunpowder keg xD

lol maybe there is some rng with the gunpowder keg? did you try multiple times? 

6 minutes ago, Denderion said:

did you try multiple times? 

I don't know, just did 1 trial. Go get some testing yourself dude, you might get better result, do it same as mine, then compare the result, that will be interesting.

2 hours ago, V-Alfred said:

Why do you need to paint for testing?

It now seems obvious you don't. It was just the sole idea that entered my feeble brain at that moment. But I also don't know if using the same size area in different locations matter in Ylands. (e.g. the powder kegs). There may be coordinate/location specific changes in yields for all I know.

That was part of my disclaimer on "not sure that's a definitive test". But even having different saves of the "same" game may not be a true test (perhaps there are timestamp or other things used for RNG yields?).

In any case, thanks for the results. I think (for most people) the minimal difference in yield wouldn't matter much.

@stlnegril9 sorry I was curious why you need to paint.. :D

Yeah there could be other conditions that take affect, only devs know the formula.. xD

Hoping to contribute, I did some minimal testing, iron ore, put a creator cube to get pickaxe or mining drill and used "restart game".

Yield after grabbing all drops by hand :

pickaxe       148
Drill              159,    147,    169,   169

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stlnegril9 said:

Drill              159,    147,    169,   169

Nice, so Its varying each trial. ^_^ seems all of them is random and pretty much same yield.

Decided to slog through it with the pick, just to see. It also seems to vary (or there is something else changing the yields I don't understand). I try to mine all the dirt around the "edges" of the iron to ensure I got every bit. Same approach as earlier. Start new game in Editor, place creator cube, propeller pack, mining drill and iron pickaxe. then "terraform" cube shape, set at "2" size with iron ore. Play the game and mine it, count the yield, then "restart tested Game" and repeat.

pick        145
pick        142    (+ 2gold coins, possibly from surrounding dirt)
pick        174

Pic of starting situation:

Ylands_180529_133926.thumb.png.324a7dfce41e803f165866af8e53b31b.png

Pic of typical yield with pickaxe:

Ylands_180529_131810.thumb.png.c271c882a19a406a39a5fb42b8d2aa2a.png

Somewhat puzzled by why it varies so much.